Multi-year Vets in Today's DCI

I've marched 4, and have 3 years left. I've marched in a top 6 last year, and the years before in a different corps. Not sure if you mean in the same corps, but it's possible for me to have marched 7 years.... except I'm taking this year off. 4 years is tough on the knee.

Most Drum Corps kids today are pre-educated by bands before they even arrive. If Drum Corps is the bicycle then bands are the training wheels. It wasn't always like that back when corps would just accept kids off the street and train them from square one. I'm NOT complaining about that, but I think that it may be one of the reasons why the average age is older and members don't have as much time in with their corps as they used to.

As with most Canadian corps of the past it was not unheard of to have members march into double digits this year there is a member from Blue Saints in his 12th season and still has one left after that :thumbup:

Yes, times (and certainly the activity) have changed. I would think that "super-vet" status is quite rare these days.

My son is a "super-vet," completing his eighth and final year this year (2 yrs Pioneer 04-05, 1 year Vanguard Cadets 06, 5 years Santa Clara Vanguard, 07-11). Obviously, I'm REALLY proud of him, particularly since he has somehow endured the physical demands of the activity, but is still going strong in his attitude, work ethic, and performance quality.

I believe that one of the reasons for his longevity is the fact that he's spent the vast majority of his marching years with friends that have comparable years of experience and genuine commitment to their corps. So at least within that organization (and I imagine others) there are strong but probably rare pockets of long-timers. Those strong relationships he has shared, and the fraternal aspects and traditional mystique of his corps are probably the driving factors that have kept him marching through the pain and sacrifices.

It would be an interesting study to explore retention/member-longevity rates within all of the competing corps, and then explore the variables related to why those members have committed themselves to marching for the length of time that they have.

Edited by nemesiscorps

Although clearly not in DCI, I marched for 10 years. My corps folded when I was 19 so it could have been 12 years.

I'd include every year marched regardless of who with or at what level... every year counts.

I think it’s a far bigger commitment to march today. Use to be, like with the OP, you just showed up, got a spot and kept returning which was easy when it was a local corps

How does it play out with open class, I’m guessing those folks march more years on average whether the remain in open class or move to world class…I base that upon nothing really but I’d guess that anyway

My original question in the OP wasn't really specific as to whether or not an individual would spend multiple years with a single corps. My brother, for instance, bounced around quite a bit, starting with the Guardsmen Cadets, then Geneseo Knights, then Bridgemen before finally settling in with the Cavies until aging out in 88.

Judging from what I've read here in the replies, I'd say I've been away from the activity far longer than I had first thought - I've only had a little contact with BD, SCV and the Cadets, all of whom seem to consistently field corps whose average age is up around 20. That's my fault for generalizing. I'm sorry.

But good to know there's still plenty of kids out there who march well beyond one or two years! :-)

My question would be how you would deal with graduation as a senior in high school. Yes, this may seem like a petty question for all you Drum Corps Vets, but I am considering trying out for DCI my senior year in high school (either Bluecoats or Crown, don't know for sure yet). I have never done DCI before (rook!) but an intensely interested in it.