Cinderella Stories

2014 Star of Indiana... First year back and they bust through everyone to medal. :thumbup:

• Like 1

79 Troop.

I was hoping that " Cinderella story " Butler Univ. would beat Uconn last night for the 2011 NCAA Men's College Basketball Div.1 National Championship Title. It would've been similar to the " Cinderella story " San Francisco Giants winning the 2010 MLB World Series. Both these teams were huge, huge long shots that nobody predicted to win it all, as neither was ranked in the top 12 in preseason in their respective sports. It would be similar to the Troopers or Jersey Surf, etc coming out this year and winning the DCI World Class Division Championship. I don't know who was the " Cinderella Story " in DCI World Class competition last year. I guess it would have to be the Madison Scouts as they moved up several places in placements last year over the year before. Other than that, there wern't any real surprises that would fall into the " Cinderella Story " realm, imo.

I agree with the above post........There r no Cinderella stories in DCI. there is no parody in DCI. Once i seen that DCI was going on ESPN I knew the ratings we be going downwards year after year. Why? because people new to the activity would get tired of seeing the same Corps in the top spots over and over and over again. Many many people do not watch college basketball, however millions fill out their brackets trying to pick the upsets. Which small team will knock off one of the big schools. Most would agree VCU and Butler to a degree, wore Cinderella's slipper this year. DCI does need a Cinderella story. I will not hold my breath that it will happen any time soon....I forget what year it was but not to long ago Crown beat the Cadets for the first time.....many made a big deal out of it....this activity needs more of that. the Tops Corps r so entrenched that unfortunately we more then likely will see less and less of this happening if the G8 keep getting their way IMHO.

• Like 1

there is no parody in DCI

Yeah, ever since the old Velvet Knights folded that's been the case, though I can think of a few recent shows that have unintentionally come close.

What? :tongue:

there is no parody in DCI.

too funny.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with the above post........There r no Cinderella stories in DCI. there is no parody in DCI. Once i seen that DCI was going on ESPN I knew the ratings we be going downwards year after year. Why? because people new to the activity would get tired of seeing the same Corps in the top spots over and over and over again. Many many people do not watch college basketball, however millions fill out their brackets trying to pick the upsets. Which small team will knock off one of the big schools. Most would agree VCU and Butler to a degree, wore Cinderella's slipper this year. DCI does need a Cinderella story. I will not hold my breath that it will happen any time soon....I forget what year it was but not to long ago Crown beat the Cadets for the first time.....many made a big deal out of it....this activity needs more of that. the Tops Corps r so entrenched that unfortunately we more then likely will see less and less of this happening if the G8 keep getting their way IMHO.

I would almost bet on a g8 getting beat by a certian rising Non-G8 corps....

1978 Spirit of Atlanta. Started the season pretty much an unknown entity, having finished in 23rd place our first year. Finished the season coming in 8th place in prelims in Boulder, then jumped two spots on Saturday night to finish up in 6th place. And Jim Ott's horn line missed taking home the high brass trophy, which is now named in Jim's honor, by .05 point.

• Like 1

I agree with the above post........There r no Cinderella stories in DCI. there is no parody in DCI.

It's parity, friend. :smile:

DCI does need a Cinderella story...this activity needs more of that.

Agreed, a spunky upstart stirring the competitive pot is always refreshing. It's fun to root for an underdog, whether it be a new finalist, an old favorite returning to their former glory or an up-and-comer breaking into the upper tier - and kudos to the groups who provide us those thrills. But why is it necessary to add this ominous coda:

the Tops Corps r so entrenched that unfortunately we more then likely will see less and less of this happening if the G8 keep getting their way.

...with the sinister implication that the top corps are evildoers, bent on excluding all others in order to keep the competitive riches to themselves. The upper tier is open to anyone with the wherewithal to weather the climb. Cadets, Star in their heyday, Crown, Bluecoats, were all new kids in town at one time. C'mon, cut it out with that if-the-G8-keep-getting-their-way conspiracy theory baloney. Should the upper tier corps be required to purposely go in the tank, perhaps on some kind of rotating basis, so we can have an annual feel-good story? DCI could make a slick video production and include it on the DVDs as a bonus feature, with Steve Rondinaro or Ryan Seacrest narrating.

The achievement of excellence is the Holy Grail of our activity - the essence, the benchmark to which everyone aspires. Stop making is sound like it's some kind of a conspiratorial offense to field a consistently strong team.

Peace - no personal disrespect intended or implied,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1