Most/Least Surprising Show

Which of these things not like the other ?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which program will be *most* different from their previous year's show?

• Blue Devils
    • Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Crown
    • Cadets
    • Phantom
    • SCV
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston
    • Madison
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen
    • Colts
    • Academy
    • Troopers
    • Spirit
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Mandarins
    • Teal Sound
    • Surf
    • Cascades
    • Pioneer
  2. 2. Which program will be *least* different from their previous year's show?

• Blue Devils
    • Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Crown
    • Cadets
    • Phantom
    • SCV
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston
    • Madison
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen
    • Colts
    • Academy
    • Troopers
    • Spirit
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Mandarins
    • Teal Sound
    • Surf
    • Cascades
    • Pioneer

Most...BD...please.

Least...Madison...yay.

• Like 1

From the few clues given it sounds like BD may be tinkering with the Way-Back Machine, almost ensuring a dramatic difference. Cadets also seem to offer the greatest changes (from what little I know of all the corps upcoming shows).

During the Big, Loud & Live telecast - I cheered for them all but, Madison actually brought me to my feet. I certainly hope they do that to me again.

Interesting poll. There is somewhat of a connection between this poll and the "Avante Garde vs Accessable" thread. The Other Mike had what I thought was the most profound analysis on that thread:

"The higher placing the corps, the more Avant-Garde they can attempt to be, the lower the corps ranks the more accessible they MUST be.

The higher the corps, the better chance they have of bouncing back from attempting something the crowd doesn't appreciate. The lower ranked the corps, the bigger chance for stumbling for several years to get back on track."

So in terms of surprise, one would imagine that if what they were doing was getting them recognition, better placement or fan response, they would continue in that direction.

PR certainly went down that road following their championship show but found story shows to be very hard to sell....they need to be BIG and perfect, and there just aren't that many you can tell in that way. The Cavies rode the wave until it became predictable (excellent, but predictable).

BD on the other hand are coming off their two highest scores ever and (pretty #### nearly) 3 consecutive undefeated seasons. Not exactly the time to follow the advice of DCP "well wishers" :blink: .

One could imagine that their success would stimulate similar designs (musically and visually) in other corps. And if it does, it will be no surprise to me at all!

• Like 1

DCI is in financial trouble. That's not that surprising to most here.. The more avart garde it becomes the more fans it loses. ' Having an avart garde show that scores well with judges does not change that economic dynamic. Fan accessible shows may not score well with 12-20 judges, but if it scores well with thousands, it is a good thing for the economic health of the activity. It is good that DCI show competitions currently offer both. But it is not surprising when we find that DCI's largest fan attendance years tended to be years in which it's standard bearer was both the best Corps ( 1st place ) and it's most fan friendly- accessible show Corps. Nothing wrong with attempting to push the envelope,... so long as we understand the risk that it might lose the mailman and the envelope never gets delivered in the process.

Anyway, didn't mean to sidetrack the poll, but wanted to respond to the BD alum-fan above.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavies were quite different in sound, theme, and music selection over the past few years. Hopefully that trend continues, although I would not mind another kick ### show just like last year.

Really looking forward to SCV's show. I want another adventurous show, and that's what they usually deliver!

Looks like Madison will deliver the same type of show again this year. Not my particular cup of tea, but apparently many like it, so best of luck to them.

Looking forward to Bluecoats having a different show this year, at least in terms of musical variety. 2009 was great!

Edited by jaylogan

Plan and Brasso :

So to get back on topic...what did you vote and why?

Corpsband... get back a couple of pages, and see for yourself how I voted and why, if you're interested.

Edited by BRASSO

I voted for the Cadets in the first poll. They were the easiest choice from what I know by far. From Little Jeffrey to Angels and Demons... There seems to be a pretty huge difference in design between the two.

For the second poll I voted for Madison. It's gonna be just a "part dos" to last year, which is A-OK by me!

• Like 1