The average age of different corps

Maybe for the non-veteran people who got cut during auditions? lol, sorry, not buyin' it.

That may sound young, but the Cavs had a lot of turn-over from previous years. Also I know they aren't WC, but Music City had an average of 18 and they placed 6th with only 67 members. So I don't think it is common but it is possible to have a lot of talent with younger aged corps.

I posted that, and I got it from a source who'd know - the only year that the corps with the highest average age didn't win (since they've been tracking it) was 2008, when BD got upset.

It's an interesting stat. My guess is that it reflects how much corps jumping is going on.

In contrast someone should do the corps in reverse...starting with Pioneer, Cascades, Surf, et al.

Donny

Of the world class corps, it would seem obvious that the highest placing corps have the greater average age among their performers. Which corps would you say have the highest average age? and do you think it plays a large factor in how their season turned out?

My example will be with the Bluecoats:

Last year the corps had an average age of 20.4 (as calculated by corps data) at the beginning of the season. Last year we placed the highest ever in our history. Of course there are other factors than age, but would maturity level make that much of a difference?

That kind of age is what I had always expected corps like the Cavaliers, Cadets and Blue Devils to have, but it can't always be the case that they are the oldest corps in the activity. Thoughts?

When I read your post, I remembered there was a Field Pass episode about your question. Episode is from 6/11/2010. Title is "Should Drum Corps be more like Marching Band":

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ba483a6c-c8d5-4a39-91ac-6fd5ddb9ac3f

Very telling I think. The person who conducted the survey mentions that the top tier corps have a "trickle up", meaning 50% of the members surveyed participated in other corps, before they got to the top tier. I assume "top tier" corps being mentioned means Top 6.

I would like to see one of these surveys done for DCA as well.. but thats for another thread. Anyway, some good info in this episode. Maybe it will answer what you are looking for.

Edited by Dmlkmen

L

O

W

E

R

Just a side information, our youngest member just graduated the 8th grade before move ins....

We have quite a few members this year that are vets that are still in high school. but the AVERAGE age, im not sure. i was 19 so yeah :)

• Like 1

Just a side information, our youngest member just graduated the 8th grade before move ins....

We have quite a few members this year that are vets that are still in high school. but the AVERAGE age, im not sure. i was 19 so yeah :)

I heard I should keep it hush hush.. But it now goes to show the power of the next few years...

(I may or may not heard the 2011 show.. all I can say is.. WOW.. Really? WOW)

Good luck bud.

• Like 1

I heard I should keep it hush hush.. But it now goes to show the power of the next few years...

(I may or may not heard the 2011 show.. all I can say is.. WOW.. Really? WOW)

Good luck bud.

I am not quite sure to percieve this as Wow sarcasticly, or WOW enthuasticly....

I am not quite sure to percieve this as Wow sarcasticly, or WOW enthuasticly....

It's Cop and Madison.

I think he'll call it how he sees it, but my guess is that his WOW was an enthusiastic one.

• Like 2

L

O

W

E

R

I was there as well. There was alot of young guys but also alot rookouts and ageouts it seemed as well.

Edited by Armyscout
  • Like 1