The average age of different corps

Of the world class corps, it would seem obvious that the highest placing corps have the greater average age among their performers. Which corps would you say have the highest average age? and do you think it plays a large factor in how their season turned out?

My example will be with the Bluecoats:

Last year the corps had an average age of 20.4 (as calculated by corps data) at the beginning of the season. Last year we placed the highest ever in our history. Of course there are other factors than age, but would maturity level make that much of a difference?

That kind of age is what I had always expected corps like the Cavaliers, Cadets and Blue Devils to have, but it can't always be the case that they are the oldest corps in the activity. Thoughts?

We had about 5 or 6 members on their fifth year with the Bluecoats. A few were on their 6th or 7th year in DCI. One guy on his 8th year in DCI (Glassmen and Bluecoats experience). There were many 3rd and 4th year vets, and quite a good bunch of 2nd year members.

A lot of our rookies last year had previous corps experience, too.

So yes, there was a lot of experience in that group.

I'd say experience more than age. My old Sr reformed with about half HS/college age rookies and improved their placing for 6 straight seasons as they gained experience (and picked up people with experience). But good part of the imrovement was having the right staff and some vet members who knew how to get to the next level of competition.

IIRC, Sunrisers won DCA in the late 70s with one of the younger average corps in DCA. LOL, and playing more of a DCI type book.

Crown's average age last season (2010) was about 20.3, from what I remember being discussed at the beginning of the season. Some sections were much older than others (the trumpet and tuba sections were much older than the mellophone and baritone sections). '09 and '10 were definitely the two oldest corps crown has ever had. There were 52 ageouts in 09, and around 36 (?) in 2010.

I don't know where I heard this, and I tried to get more info from DCI, but...

I heard that for the past few years the corps with the highest average age has always won first place. I can not verify this as fact but I would certainly like to know if that is true.

Edited by charlie1223

Last year the corps had an average age of 20.4 (as calculated by corps data) at the beginning of the season.

I think Corps Data's Average Age reports are reported for the END OF THE SEASON, maybe Sept 1. This is so they don't have to worry about tracking the changing date of Finals every year.

Therefore, the age is inflated by 2-3 weeks (for everyone).

20.4 sounds about right for any top tier corps, basically saying "most of the members are 19, 20 or 21." It would be interesting to see the Standard Deviation as well, to get a confidence of the amount of members within the mean. For example, it would be possible for BD and Cavies to have Avg Age = 20.4, but the SD might be lower for BD than Cavies (showing that Cavies have more variation, wider range of ages)