Colleges that could make great Drum Corps

Spirit didn't come from JSU. They started, went to JSU for a time, and are now not affiliated with them, AFAIK....

Riverside Community College?

RCC of course

• Like 1

I saw some love for WCU... how about the other WCU (West Chester, PA)

• 1 month later...

Saw this article from a link on facebook, and I agree with the Number 1!

The Best #### Bands in the Land

James Madison University. Band is huge and somewhat unruly, but if you pick out the top kids, you have one HELL of a brassline. Percussion ain't too shabby either.

Yeah I was in that marching band for 3 years. In 2008 we had 470 members total, and part of the reason was we went to Macy's Parade.

And your comment about the brass line....you need to visit www.jmu.edu/music/mrd and listen to the recordings from the early 90s. IMO, that brass sounded much cleaner and more balanced than the present day...

There are only three college Drum Corps that I can think of. Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard, and most people rarely see them. Trying to convince a college to establish a Drum Corps would be a pretty tough assignment unless you have a football team to go along with it.

No dice....the Bridgemen tried that and all they got was a lousy finalist patch. :tongue:

Saw this article from a link on facebook, and I agree with the Number 1!

The Best #### Bands in the Land

You go to UNT, so I can't imagine why you agree with this list. Also, you march the bluecoats, so it is hard to imagine why you predict them to win.

• Like 2

Really??? A vast majority of drum corps members are in University Bands at some point or another. In that regard, Drum Corps are largely comprised of University Band members. In essence, you're saying the University Band members don't have grit and determination. Are you confused? Do you think that University Bands practice primarily indoors for only a few minutes at a time? At the same time, a large portion of University Band members don't do drum corps because they either can't afford it, they play the wrong instrument or they don't have the time during the summer. Drum corps members aren't bred at a private location, raised like Spartans and brought to DCI auditions when they come of age........THEY'RE MARCHING BAND PEOPLE!

To answer the original post, any Band with money,a talented staff and people who want to march, could make a great Drum corps.

Though you have to admit it'd be pretty #### cool if they WERE raised like spartans! :thumbup:

Yeah I was in that marching band for 3 years. In 2008 we had 470 members total, and part of the reason was we went to Macy's Parade.

And your comment about the brass line....you need to visit www.jmu.edu/music/mrd and listen to the recordings from the early 90s. IMO, that brass sounded much cleaner and more balanced than the present day...

Heh, I grew up listening to those recordings. You are totally right, though I still think the band sounds decent today, even if they're not quite what they were a few years ago in the days of Rooney. However, the current brass studio is pretty astounding. Went to a Wind Symphony and Brass Band concert recently, and they sounded better than ever.

Seeing that a limited amount of bands come to the Penn State games (which is where I have season tickets for God knows how many years) I only get to see mainly Big Ten bands... of those about the only ones I really recall having a top notch program are Illinois (and they look like the Crossmen of the late 70's early 80's) and Michigan state.

Both have a nice brassy sound, and competent drumlines....

The band that makes me want to vomit the most is Ohio State....SAYING that you are a great band doesn't make it so.... :thumbdown:

Penn State's Blue Band is just a good COLLEGE band...no frills!