I learned something today from my daughter

I will start by saying I have over the last number of years grown very open minded to everything drum corps and marching arts related. I love the old school. Without it, we would not have the activity we have today. I love the modern too. Without progression, our activity makes no progress (master of the obvious, right).

Yet, I know there are those out there that prefer one over the other. We all are entitled to that. However, when we argue sometimes so rabidly about it, I now have to ask (as of today), why do we argue? Afterall, who's DCI activity is it? DCI is for the kids, right? DCA has the Alumni exibitions for the old schoolers - I'll talk more about that on a later post (after this gets a few replies).

what do the kids want? Well, I can't speak for all kids perhaps but I can tell you of a conversation I had with my 11 year old daughter today.

I was enjoying some old Legacy DVDs from 1976 this afternoon (still love those years, always will). My daughter sat and watched with me kind of quietly until I hear "Dad?"..."Yes sweety?" I answered, "These shows don't tell a story like last years corps did, do they" she asked. "No, your right. They don't. Just marching and playing." She stayed quiet for about 60 more seconds until I asked the next question. "So which do you like better?" I asked. "Oh definitely the story telling corps, dad. Much more interesting. I really like that corps that did the horse show that you showed me (Crown 07). I really liked that "this is my rifle corps haha. Creepy but neat". I replied with a very simple "hmmm" and back to the video and watching quietly. Until the next corps came on. Once again I hear "Dad?"...."Yes sweety"..."Dad, um when this corps is done, can we watch last year's DVD"....to which I replied...."No sweety, we can watch that RIGHT NOW if you want". And the smile on both of our faces had to be priceless.

What's my point? LOL! I don't know. Feel free to read into this post however you wish. I will simply watch and read your responses for a while. :) I have some ideas that I may share later. But for now. Post away. :-)

Edited by torn8o
  • Like 7

It tells me that 11 year olds don't think the same way as most of the rest of us. I didn't either when I was that age. :tongue:

• Like 2

I'd say your daughter is used to shows that tell a story so that's what she likes. Being from BITD I just like to listen to the music and watch the drill (if it isn't a stand still) without worrying about a underlying plot to everything. Either way 's cool....

Important thing is she's interested in DC. :worthy:

Can't wait for the DCA/Alumni-type comments since that's my area....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

This is a great story. One of my sons, 16yrs old and plays trumpet, marched Hurricanes last year because of a time commitment and they are close to us. He had a great experience the entire year, but most specifically, on July 4th weekend, they marched in a few parades with Phantom, Cadets and several other WC corps. He had the unique opportunity to run through warmups watching Phantom, and then was asked to participate with Phantom in the horn arc. If he was not hooked before, he was then!

The interesting thing to come out of his time with Phantom, was his critical eye toward all of the WC corps, as he started to evaluate for his future marching endeavors. He quickly decided that any of the corps that use guitars and over use synth's were the corps he would stay away from. Leaning more towards the corps that tell a story with their marching and music, than the ones that want to use the electronics and voice to tell that story.

I like the fact that he was evaluating on his own. I never told him my opinion of electronics. But he nailed my thoughts exactly - tell me a story, as I do appreciate that part of the drum corps evolution. Just use the art form to tell me. Don't use your voice, and don't over use the electronics to tel me either.

Thanks for this story. It was awesome!

• Like 4

Kids like what they know. (I'm a retired educator.) It's subjective.

Are "Jersey Shore" and "Deadliest Catch" better than "Law & Order" and "NYPD Blue?" (Answer: The apples you know best vs. the oranges that you know best.)

* The "story" was different in the days of Ol' Skool. There was a progression to a drum corps show: OTL, drum break, Presentation, drum break, Into-Concert, Concert, Out-of-Concert, drum break, Off the Field, Final Fanfare. The best corps played-up the General Effect expectation of all parts. Get the audience (aka: "popcorn-eaters") out of their seats clapping and yelling -- make 'em emotional, make 'em smile, make 'em reflective, set up up for the finale, tug their heart-strings, leaving cheering and raving about the performance . Some corps did it better than others. Drum corps affectionado's grew to understand this progression, and could detect execution changes (good or bad) in performance of any phase of the progression from season to season, or even individual shows to later performances.

* Also, old timers often made a deliberate decision to march (not "perform") in drum corps as an alternative to high school and college marching bands, usually held in lower esteem for lower marching skills, easier drill and music, less challenging color guard expectations, less commitment to seeking perfection execution of the program. When top-end drum corps began to look & sound more like marching bands (even good ones) it created a sense of incongruence.

* There was a significant rift in the world of Class-A (World Class) units with the advent of try-outs for "corp-ies" (those who jumped from one corps to another), rather than making a loyalty commitment to your local corps, thru good times in and bad. While younger people think jumping from corps-to-corps "is what it is," old timers often continue to look less-than-warmly upon "corps jumpers."

Just my two cents.

Edited by Navillus WP

I will start by saying I have over the last number of years grown very open minded to everything drum corps and marching arts related. I love the old school. Without it, we would not have the activity we have today. I love the modern too. Without progression, our activity makes no progress (master of the obvious, right).

Yet, I know there are those out there that prefer one over the other. We all are entitled to that. However, when we argue sometimes so rabidly about it, I now have to ask (as of today), why do we argue? Afterall, who's DCI activity is it? DCI is for the kids, right? DCA has the Alumni exibitions for the old schoolers - I'll talk more about that on a later post (after this gets a few replies).

what do the kids want? Well, I can't speak for all kids perhaps but I can tell you of a conversation I had with my 11 year old daughter today.

I was enjoying some old Legacy DVDs from 1976 this afternoon (still love those years, always will). My daughter sat and watched with me kind of quietly until I hear "Dad?"..."Yes sweety?" I answered, "These shows don't tell a story like last years corps did, do they" she asked. "No, your right. They don't. Just marching and playing." She stayed quiet for about 60 more seconds until I asked the next question. "So which do you like better?" I asked. "Oh definitely the story telling corps, dad. Much more interesting. I really like that corps that did the horse show that you showed me (Crown 07). I really liked that "this is my rifle corps haha. Creepy but neat". I replied with a very simple "hmmm" and back to the video and watching quietly. Until the next corps came on. Once again I hear "Dad?"...."Yes sweety"..."Dad, um when this corps is done, can we watch last year's DVD"....to which I replied...."No sweety, we can watch that RIGHT NOW if you want". And the smile on both of our faces had to be priceless.

What's my point? LOL! I don't know. Feel free to read into this post however you wish. I will simply watch and read your responses for a while. :) I have some ideas that I may share later. But for now. Post away. :-)

Would you do me a favor ? Would you ask your 11 year old daughter to watch ( say ) BD, Cavs, SCV, BAC, Crown, Phantom, etc from last year and explain to me what" the storyline " was all about. ( I won't ask her to play " name that tune " with you, as that would be unfair ) Anyway, if you could get your daughter in her own words to explain to you " the storyline " of each of last year's Corps that she watches with you on the DVD, this might prove educational for both me and other posters that were left scratching our heads last year with some of " the story lines ". Thanks in advance, torn80.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Art changes. Anybody who sees Drum Corps as art will embrace this.

With all do respect to those who marched in and appreciate the "old school" style, resisting the changes to the form will only hold it back. Doesn't mean you have to like every change, but a "they don't do it like they used to" attitude is a recipe for the demise of the activity.

In order to continue its existence, art has to stay relevant, which means it has to change with the world around it. I see Drum Corps as no exception to this rule.

• Like 1

Would you do me a favor ? Would you ask your 11 year old daughter to watch ( say ) BD, Cavs, SCV, BAC, Crown, Phantom, etc from last year and explain to me what" the storyline " was all about. ( I won't ask her to play " name that tune " with you, as that would be unfair ) Anyway, if you could get your daughter in her own words to explain to you " the storyline " of each of last year's Corps that she watches with you on the DVD, this might prove educational for both me and other posters that were left scratching our heads last year with some of " the story lines ". Thanks in advance, torn80.

Not all the corps you mentioned had stories to tell last year. Some were strictly dynamic music and visual presentations with a theme running throughout, but no real beginning or end storyline. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

I'd say your daughter is used to shows that tell a story so that's what she likes. Being from BITD I just like to listen to the music and watch the drill (if it isn't a stand still) without worrying about a underlying plot to everything. Either way 's cool....

Important thing is she's interested in DC. :worthy:

Can't wait for the DCA/Alumni-type comments since that's my area....

Ok, well like I said - I've always been attracted to the old school (even though I've always loved the new stuff too). 1980 Finals was the first video I ever owned and I started marching at age 14 in 1988. So naturally, when I visited those videos during my marching years, I would always wish I could climb into a time machine and see those corps perform live.

Now, I can climb into that time machine for several hours at the DCA Alumni Spectacular. One of my favorite shows to see each year.

How that ties to this thread? Every generation of drum corps carries with it either people who miss the ole days or people who just wish they could witness the ole days. In the late 80s and early 90s, I could understand having "rabid discussions" over it all. Those who loved the old school - could seemingly never witness or experience it again. Those days were over and there weren't corps around that were keeping the old styles alive. All you had were recordings. That was the only possible memory of "what was". The closest thing there might have been at that time was the competitive DCA corps. But even that has never been far from the current DCI from a stylistic standpoint.

Today, completely different. You have the ability to watch every type of drum corps imaginable... LIVE! If it's the old school you are most interested in, you can go to the DCA Alumni Spectacular and enjoy watching drum corps as you remember it (and even with the old corps themselves such as the Bridgemen, Toronto Optimists etc.). Or better yet, why just watch? You can even go MARCH with one of those corps and in most cases - don't even need to be a true alum of their corps. Always wished you could have marched with the Bridgemen but got into the activity too late? No problem! They would welcome you at their next camp and at ANY age. And not only that, but the way DCA's competitive activity has evolved, it's sort of forgiving to corps who perhaps have a little bit of 90s in them, even though their are corps like Buccs who are very current (and you do need to be fairly current it seems to be at the top of DCA Open Class). DCA is not only "all aged" but "all things" when it comes to drum corps. I sort of look at it this way. DCI is like the gourmet restaurant and DCA is like a good all you can eat buffet.

So, this is why I sort os scratch my head when I see such rabid discussions from people wanting to have the "old school" back. It already existis. We live in a day when you can enjoy any type of drum corps you wish representing nearly every ERA of drum corps. Don't like the fine dinning gourmet dishes? Don't go to DCI Finals. All the more for those who love the "taste" of that. There is an all you can eat buffet at the DCA Championships each year where you can get the good ole fasion "fried chicken" of old drum corps at the Alumni Spectacular. And they even offer a few gourmet dishes as well if you stay late enough into the night of open class finals. So you can get a taste of both if you like.

As for me, I love both. So, I will getting fat this summer as I attend hopefully about 3 DCI shows teach a DCA corps. :-)

• Like 1