Teal Sound 2011 April Camp

Teal Sound Drum and Bugle corps from Jacksonville, FL gives you a preview of this coming season's show by showing off its Electronic Wind Instrument or EWI for short. Visit www.tealsound.org for more information.

...very interesting. I didn't know that kind of thing existed.

Very, very cool technology, I had no idea anything like that existed. I'll wait and see how well it works in the context of the show - they're going to have to be doing some interesting rep for that kind of sound to fit in.

On that note, I'm going to get some popcorn and watch this thread blow up.

• Like 3

...very interesting. I didn't know that kind of thing existed.

I truly wish it didn't!!! :rock:

Teal Sound Drum and Bugle corps from Jacksonville, FL gives you a preview of this coming season's show by showing off its Electronic Wind Instrument or EWI for short. Visit www.tealsound.org for more information.

Central Crossing high school marching band used one of those in their show a couple of years ago.... Maybe 2007?

I reserve judgement until I hear the show.

Edited by jjeffeory

Dear Lord... Some people are going to blow a head gasket over this. Just the fact that it " looks" like a woodwind instrument.

Aren't the fingerings the same as a sax?

Most current DCI judges are over 45. I'm pretty confident that they've all had the requisite undergraduate/ post Graduate Music training and/ or professional training on this instrument in order to properly adjudicate the playing of this instrument in DCI competition. Teal Sound utilized a Rock Guitar in their on field competition last season. The obligation to judge the quality of the Rock Guitar playing rests ( we've been told by a current DCI staffer ) with the percussion judge. If most DCI percussion judges have the proper training and experience to judge the rock guitar playing on the part of the rock guitarist, then I don't see why current DCI judges would be no less equipped by training and experience to judge the playing of this instrument. If one has complete faith in the judging of DCI Corps in competition, then I don't see how their faith in the scoring would be shaken by the use and judging of this instrument should it come to fruition. That'd be my take anyway. So I wouldn't sweat this stuff. It's not like it's a a "band" instrument, afterall. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's not neccessarily a " duck ". It could be a " horse ". If this instrument is used by a DCI Corps in competition, that musical unit is still in the end, a " Drum and Bugle Corps ". It just is. I know it is hard for me amd perhaps others to put it into words why, so I won't. But such a unit using this instrument along with ( say ) a rcck guitar is still a " Drum and Bugle Corps " and not a " Band ", imo. So lets just take a deep breath here. What will be.... will be in the end anyway. Change happens.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Most current DCI judges are over 45. I'm pretty confident that they've all had the requisite undergraduate/ post Graduate Music training and/ or professional training on this instrument in order to properly adjudicate the playing of this instrument in DCI competition. Teal Sound utilized a Rock Guitar in their on field competition last season. The obligation to judge the quality of the Rock Guitar playing rests ( we've been told by a current DCI staffer ) with the percussion judge. If most DCI percussion judges have the proper training and experience to judge the rock guitar playing on the part of the rock guitarist, then I don't see why current DCI judges would be no less equipped by training and experience to judge the playing of this instrument. If one has complete faith in the judging of DCI Corps in competition, then I don't see how their faith in the scoring would be shaken by the use and judging of this instrument should it come to fruition. That'd be my take anyway. So I wouldn't sweat this stuff. It's not like it's a a "band" instrument, afterall. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's not neccessarily a " duck ". It could be a " horse ". If this instrument is used by a DCI Corps in competition, that musical unit is still in the end, a " Drum and Bugle Corps ". It just is. I know it is hard to put it into words why, so I won't. But it'd still be a " Drum and Bugle Corps " and not a " Band ", imo.

You forgot to point out the use of this instrument ** is ** innovation and **progressive**.

Nevermind that it's been used before at BOA. It hasn't been used in DCI, so it's **innovative**.