Five great percussion moments in DCI history

Being a horn guy, I'm always drawn to the musical, and different, drum solos. My old buddy Jim Campbell also wrote a few for Cavies, especially the world drumming stuff he brought into it. I don't remember the year, but the drum feature where the bass drums were drumming with one hand, using a 2 headed beater (boudran style), and playing on the rim with the other hand. Cool stuff.

Steve -

That was the '92 Cavaliers - the drum solo was during Four Scottish Dances. That whole show was sick, drum-wise. (not to mention those brushed silver snares were gorgeous)

Mike

:thumbup::laugh:

For me, I love the pit work in Phantom's 1995 percussion feature. One of the most under-rated percussion features ever, IMO.

I agree. Pay close attention to the snares in that feature as well - the use of bell sticks with their regular sticks was genius!

Mike

:thumbup::laugh:

For me, I love the pit work in Phantom's 1995 percussion feature. One of the most under-rated percussion features ever, IMO.

They had a great accel in the pit to kick it off; I love that moment, and IMO it's one of Phantom's all-time best percussion moments.

The exchange between the pit, bass line and bari soloist from '85 Suncoast during "Midnight in Miami" has always been one of my favorite moments.

• Like 1

True, and these are indeed great moments. But it's too bad that 1977 Oakland Crusaders couldn't have gotten a mention here. I think I know one reason why; there's no video to capture the moment. But being the only corps in DCI history, that I'm aware of, to win a caption in DCI prelims, but not win the caption award because the corps didn't make finals, seems worthy of at least an honourable mention.

As others have noted, I don't dispute Mike's choices at all. But it seems like this moment is one that's always getting shuffled under the rug. I wonder if DCI would prefer that everyone forget it even happened.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Yes!! I saw you in prelims in 77, and was floored!!

Edited by kmansdrummin

Good post.

My favorite 5 (ok, 6);

Santa Clara 74, 75, 79. (All very difficult, yet musical. And in 75, the ending of Birds of Fire, playing a very very hard ending with the drum judge in front, playing it perfectly and the judge walking away.)

Etobicoke 77. (Tough and perfect. A machine.)

Blue Devils 82, 83. (Great playing, GE, and excellent accelerandos.)

• Like 1

I was always partial to Blue Rondo A La Turk...

Nothing like a lunch break listening to five fantastic percussion moments in DCI history. There are many, many more and I can't wait to see what you put together next year. But thank you for this little interlude in my day, Mr. Boo. I needed it!

(edited to add: I vote for 92 Madison along with 92 Crossmen for fantastic percussion features that rocked the house. I look forward to spending some time on the Fan Network digging up some other old favorites. Gotta be some good old Spirit of Atlanta lines out there worth a mention!)

Edited by TerriTroop

I would have to add a few:

'80 SCV "Stone Ground Seven"

'76 BD "Chanel One Suite"

[b]'79 North Star (Sorry, don't know the name. Chrome Wall FTW!)[/b]Feel free to add your own.

If you are referring to their drum solo, I believe it was called "Cookout"

1992 Crossmen ("Puma" drum feature) - stick heights, stick heights, stick heights. Once the snares come back in right before the horns, arms are flailing in perfect unison all the way through the big push. Simply amazing.

ahhhhhh.....a Mark Thurston drum book. Please Mark, come back to DCI!!