Best Brass Sound and Brass Exec. of All Time

For pure quality of sound, Star '92 is hard to beat. Anyone that dredges up the Bb vs G quality argument needs to listen to Star '92. Star mellophone line was amazing from start to finish, last year with the Star Alumni they were unbelievable. IMO, they were the best section in the corps (always killed me, as a lead sop, that this was true but - its good motivation). For execution, Star '91/'93 as mentioned above.

Blue Devils '86, '93 were fantastic as well. BD these past few years had an awesome sound, but, for the most part they didn't use it in their show - they play very little.

Crown '09, '10 had an amazing sound, and they were spread across the entire field for much of the show. Quality and execution possibly the best ever, both years.

I'm a huge fan of Cavaliers visual shows for the past 10 years, but their brass sound isn't even close to BD/Crown. Sorry. Listen to the corps in the lot, when you can hear just the hornline without the percussion. BD and Crown have a superior sound to everyone else (and, interestingly, a different sound from each other). Bluecoats gets honorable mention here - they're almost as good.

• Like 1

I know when hornlines from the early 90's are talked about, Star always come to mind and deservingly so. Star was downright amazing!! But can we show some love for BD 91 and 93? IMO two of the best hornlines ever.

I saw both the 91 and 93 corps live. I know how much has been talked about regarding the 91 line...and I agree they were good....but 93 always gets my vote because the power was so much better...richer and stronger.

As far as the original question....hard to say....so many lines from so many years....

There's a lot of love for some current top dogs here...but I must vote for early/mid 80s SCV. Year after year after year, finely crafted horn lines with wonderful tone from player to player, outstanding intonation, and featuring one of my favorite (and least displayed...) aspects of a great line: the 'pyramid' of sound. The pyramid is where the soprano voice is often the least strong (that is not to say they're weak...or soft). The contras ARE strong, and they along with euphoniums create a thick bottom foundation. Baritones and mid voices (SCV had mellos AND French horn bugles at that time) give a resonant and aesthetically pleasing middle sound. While the soprano voice is able, with seemingly effortless clarity, to ride out over the top of it all. 1981, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, AND 90...all absolutely SHONE. Ten years of truly unsurpassed excellence...and I don't care who won the high brass award in ANY of those years (that's the problem with awards...it's as if to say 'those that didn't win didn't excel...).

• Like 1

I am lumping both together.

1) 1992 Star of Indiana (IMO, this hornline was by far the best of the Star lines, both exec and sound)-often overshadowed by 90,91, and 93 because the total package in 1992 was much weaker (show concept/drill wise)- the mellophone line in 92 was just as good as 91, and the contras and sops were much much better.

2) 1991 Blue Devils (best BD line ever, sick book performed nearly flawlessly) - again overlooked because of the weaknesses in the visual and percussion programs - 5th place overall finish as well

3) 2002 Cavaliers (purity of sound can't be beat) - the only reason they aren't number 1 is because their book was somewhat easy compared to the above 2 shows - best backfield playing in history

These 3 are in a league of their own. Some honorable mentions include:

BD 2004

Star 91

BD 1999

Edited by Catan

Best ensemble sound? This is too easy... Star of Indiana 1992 (amber Waves was simply Goosebump City.

Best execution? I assume you mean clean etc... Again an easy one... Star of Indiana 1991... Mellos.. enough said.

Psssst.... Four Corners was the year before, in 2001! Frameworks was 2002. Either one though I would say deserves a nod - amazing Cav's shows!

Frame has four cornes... both those show concepts were the same. it was just part 1 and 2. But I found the 02 hornline superior.

2004 Cavaliers not winning brass I think is the biggest modern mistake made by the judges. I felt BD was amazing, but not to the level that the cavaliers were at. The entire show was just ridiculously good from a brass standpoint. Definitely my favorite show, in terms of brassline's, of all time.

For me, the biggest difference between the two lines were the lead sops. Cavies without a doubt had a killer line that year.