It's a Family Show

So, a few comments in other threads and some other discussions got me thinking...

x610-1287503225.jpg

The Tickets Are Too #### High!

Now... let's be clear... tickets for the center seats and even near middle are just fine... maybe even a bit low in some cases... but...

The barrier to entry to just show up at all is too high for the curious or casual, we are limiting the activity to only established fans.

As an example, I talked with some of my siblings. Three of them will have kids going to shows the shows in SLC or San Antonio with their school bands. I asked them why the whole family wasn't going, and they simply said the cost of taking the whole family made it not worth it compared to other entertainment options. For the price of tickets for their family to the SLC show, they could get a day pass for the whole family to Lagoon, an amusement park nearby.

So... I am sure their perspective is not unique. I am sure there are loads of families out there who would check out a show if the barrier to entry was lower.

Again, I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the prices of the tickets in the center zones... just the barrier to entry for ANY tickets at all... it's too #### high.

We need to be able to better introduce the activity to the curious, to the casually interested... to entire families. If they like the experience, they'll be back next year... probably in better seats... but at the very least, they'll leave with some merchandise their first go around.

Want to prove this concept? Want to try an experiment? If Blue Knights were to create a new family pass option for the SLC show, for seats you could barely even sell... the gizzard and gristle of seats... you'd see a place packed from endzone to endzone and you will have suddenly inspired a whole load of very young kids to get involved in music.

At that same Utah show, in 1986, was where I saw drum corps for the very first time. Never knew a thing about it before then. My sister had been invited to go by some "band geek" guy. Since he was the son of a friend of my mother, she couldn't turn him down... so, decided to invite her little brother along in the hopes he'd get the hint that it wasn't a date.

I was absolutely mesmerized by the red band and that blue band that played jazz. An obsession was born and as soon as school started up the next month, I changed my schedule to add band.

From that one chance "date" of my sister's... several kids in my family marched or are now fans. As a result, a lot of my nieces and nephews (27 of them now) are fans or are gearing up to march.

My point is that by lowering the initial barrier to entry by opening up the experience more to FAMILIES, the curious and casually interested, we increase the likelihood of creating a new generation of both participants and fans.

I'm not saying bring all the tickets down... just make a family ticket option for the gizzard and gristle seats... and see what happens.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

So, a few comments in other threads and some other discussions got me thinking...

x610-1287503225.jpg

The Tickets Are Too #### High!

Now... let's be clear... tickets for the center seats and even near middle are just fine... maybe even a bit low in some cases... but...

The barrier to entry to just show up at all is too high for the curious or casual, we are limiting the activity to only established fans.

As an example, I talked with some of my siblings. Three of them will have kids going to shows the shows in SLC or San Antonio with their school bands. I asked them why the whole family wasn't going, and they simply said the cost of taking the whole family made it not worth it compared to other entertainment options. For the price of tickets for their family to the SLC show, they could get a day pass for the whole family to Lagoon, an amusement park nearby.

So... I am sure their perspective is not unique. I am sure there are loads of families out there who would check out a show if the barrier to entry was lower.

Again, I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the prices of the tickets in the center zones... just the barrier to entry for ANY tickets at all... it's too #### high.

We need to be able to better introduce the activity to the curious, to the casually interested... to entire families. If they like the experience, they'll be back next year... probably in better seats... but at the very least, they'll leave with some merchandise their first go around.

Want to prove this concept? Want to try an experiment? If Blue Knights were to create a new family pass option for the SLC show, for seats you could barely even sell... the gizzard and gristle of seats... you'd see a place packed from endzone to endzone and you will have suddenly inspired a whole load of very young kids to get involved in music.

At that same Utah show, in 1986, was where I saw drum corps for the very first time. Never knew a thing about it before then. My sister had been invited to go by some "band geek" guy. Since he was the son of a friend of my mother, she couldn't turn him down... so, decided to invite her little brother along in the hopes he'd get the hint that it wasn't a date.

I was absolutely mesmerized by the red band and that blue band that played jazz. An obsession was born and as soon as school started up the next month, I changed my schedule to add band.

From that one chance "date" of my sister's... several kids in my family marched or are now fans. As a result, a lot of my nieces and nephews (27 of them now) are fans or are gearing up to march.

My point is that by lowering the initial barrier to entry by opening up the experience more to FAMILIES, the curious and casually interested, we increase the likelihood of creating a new generation of both participants and fans.

I'm not saying bring all the tickets down... just make a family ticket option for the gizzard and gristle seats... and see what happens.

But...but... (are you surprised? tongue.gif)

You weren't attracted by the ticket prices, Daniel. You were recruited to address an exogenous situation (admitting that a high ticket price might have forced your sister to fend for herself with the band geek).

The trigger that got you to go was the band geek inviting your sister. He deserves credit (even with his ulterior motive) for sharing the event with her and, by extension, you.

A twist on your logic might better be to introduce a "bring a friend or four" option; a two-for-one, or four-for-two pricing model that gives existing fans a benefit for introducing new fans.

At the same time this has to be paired with marketing support from DCI, or a creative slogan that quickly and accurately describes what the neophyte is agreeing to see.

We offer discounts to our show for band kids who order blocks of tickets. These seats aren't the center-center kind but, even though there are few bad seats in our stadium, it's like pulling teeth because we're dependent on the band directors to spread the word. Some do enthusiastically, but many don't because it interrupts their (the director's) summer break - God forbid!

A concerted effort to create the show buzz paired with a discount ticket option would go a lot farther than relying just on band directors who are little motivated.

Another play on your circumstances would be to market "Date night" to kids who aren't interested in another movie or expensive dinner to impress their dates.

Don't forget that it's also a local supply/demand issue as well. A show that is mostly sold out in advance presents little incentive to discount. A good show sponsor needs to balance the number of discounts offered against the expected empty seats. To not limit the discounted tickets would sell discount tickets that would otherwise sell at full-price, obviously.

DCI used discounts extensively last year in Indy, offering family-pricing to local residents that was VERY attractive. I don't have data on the results of the effort, though.

• Like 1

There are less expensive shows:

July 02 Michigan City, $25 for 50 yard line seats

July 10 Omaha, $35 for 50 yard line seats

Aug 5-6 Allentown, $25 for 50 yard line seats each night (though these are already sold out)

Seek out the affordable grandstands.

Last year there were $10 seats to World Championships that included 2 kids free with each ticket purchased. Not sure it gets more affordable than that.

Those $10 seats (plus 2 kids free), along with the free tickets given to recent age-outs, really packed the house at Finals; not an empty seat to be found around the entire stadium!

• Like 1

But...but... (are you surprised? tongue.gif)

You weren't attracted by the ticket prices, Daniel. You were recruited to address an exogenous situation (admitting that a high ticket price might have forced your sister to fend for herself with the band geek).

Well, I'm sure if the ticket prices were very high, I wouldn't have been invited. :-)

The trigger that got you to go was the band geek inviting your sister. He deserves credit (even with his ulterior motive) for sharing the event with her and, by extension, you.

Well, she married him.

A twist on your logic might better be to introduce a "bring a friend or four" option; a two-for-one, or four-for-two pricing model that gives existing fans a benefit for introducing new fans.

At the same time this has to be paired with marketing support from DCI, or a creative slogan that quickly and accurately describes what the neophyte is agreeing to see.

Excellent idea!

We offer discounts to our show for band kids who order blocks of tickets. These seats aren't the center-center kind but, even though there are few bad seats in our stadium, it's like pulling teeth because we're dependent on the band directors to spread the word. Some do enthusiastically, but many don't because it interrupts their (the director's) summer break - God forbid!

A concerted effort to create the show buzz paired with a discount ticket option would go a lot farther than relying just on band directors who are little motivated.

For directors that don't care much for it... why not try to recruit kids that will make a sort of Street Team and organize other kids from their schools? These kids would get some sort of gear and VIP status or something... some cool laminate pass. Kids dig that sort of thing.

In these communities where the director is a slug, why not help organize chaperones (with help of street team kids) and busses for them as part of a package? Bus + tix + sack lunch

Another play on your circumstances would be to market "Date night" to kids who aren't interested in another movie or expensive dinner to impress their dates.

Sure. At the very least, will further the cause of teen abstinence. :-)

Don't forget that it's also a local supply/demand issue as well. A show that is mostly sold out in advance presents little incentive to discount. A good show sponsor needs to balance the number of discounts offered against the expected empty seats. To not limit the discounted tickets would sell discount tickets that would otherwise sell at full-price, obviously.

If a show is sold out... time to look for a new venue!!!

DCI used discounts extensively last year in Indy, offering family-pricing to local residents that was VERY attractive. I don't have data on the results of the effort, though.

Needs to be paired with an aggressive local marketing effort. Why not partner with, say, a local supermarket chain to help promote in store (little video kiosk... could even be an ipad... showing video)... with the purchase of $X or more, you get discounted tickets that you can buy right there.

Edited by danielray

Sounds great.

I just wanted to take you to task a bit for your misguided assertions in your original post about the "tickets are too #### high"

You wrote that your friend's family could go to the "Lagoon" near San Antonio for a full day for less than they could go to a TOC/regional event.

Let's remove driving distance from the equation since it is not DCI's fault that your friends live in a state where the driving distances are crazy and that gas is as expensive as it has ever been.

I found the "Lost Lagoon" water park, which is inside Sea World, San Antonio.

If you buy four single-day tickets, you can get a discounted rate of $47.50 a person, which is $190.00.

Sea World San Antonio, with complimentary admission to "The Lost Lagoon" water park.

Plus $19 dollars to park. And food while you are in the park all day. And souvies and photo booths and all of that amusement park stuff you will need to pay for with your kids in tow.

So in the end, at least $65.00 per person.

The DCI TOC event in Houston offers this line-up:

Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cadets, The Cavaliers; which is, by all accounts, a killer show.

$30-$50 dollars for tickets, and I am including the fees when you buy. Parking is not included, but I can find no info on how much it is.

DCI TOC event Houston, July 22 TX

The show will be short enough that you don't need to feed you family inside the venue, so that will be cheaper.

So your friends could go the the show for around $40 per person. Which is in fact less than going to the water park.

But perhaps you didn't mean to mix up your activities, like a water park and a music event (DCI).

So, just as a comparison, I looked up a couple of Family-Friendly music events near the same Major City.

The cheapest tickets for The Wiggles in Rosemont, IL are $71.00 per seat. The cheapest ticket on the floor is $262.00 per seat.

(This price does not include processing, or fees, or parking, which will be extra.)

Wiggles in Rosemont July 30th

I didn't see anything about a family discount. They seem to sell a lot of tickets for just another stop on their tour. What with it not being a "Championships" or anything.

The Cavaliers home show in Lisle has reserved seating for $35.00 and bench seating for $25.00. No clue what parking will be, but it will not be as much as the Rosemont Theatre.

Reserved Seating for Cavalcade of Brass June 29

The DCI shows seems like a good deal to me. And probably thousands of others who will attend the shows this summer.

Perhaps your friends just are not that into DCI anymore, or would rather leave their progeny at a show and grab some alone time for a few hours.

My point?

DCI charges a fair price to see this awesome thing we all love.

• Like 1

I just wanted to take you to task a bit for your misguided assertions in your original post about the "tickets are too #### high"

You wrote that your friend's family could go to the "Lagoon" near San Antonio for a full day for less than they could go to a TOC/regional event.

Let's remove driving distance from the equation since it is not DCI's fault that your friends live in a state where the driving distances are crazy and that gas is as expensive as it has ever been.

I found the "Lost Lagoon" water park, which is inside Sea World, San Antonio.

If you buy four single-day tickets, you can get a discounted rate of $47.50 a person, which is $190.00.

Sea World San Antonio, with complimentary admission to "The Lost Lagoon" water park.

Plus $19 dollars to park. And food while you are in the park all day. And souvies and photo booths and all of that amusement park stuff you will need to pay for with your kids in tow.

So in the end, at least $65.00 per person.

The DCI TOC event in Houston offers this line-up:

Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cadets, The Cavaliers; which is, by all accounts, a killer show.

$30-$50 dollars for tickets, and I am including the fees when you buy. Parking is not included, but I can find no info on how much it is.

DCI TOC event Houston, July 22 TX

The show will be short enough that you don't need to feed you family inside the venue, so that will be cheaper.

So your friends could go the the show for around $40 per person. Which is in fact less than going to the water park.

But perhaps you didn't mean to mix up your activities, like a water park and a music event (DCI).

So, just as a comparison, I looked up a couple of Family-Friendly music events near the same Major City.

The cheapest tickets for The Wiggles in Rosemont, IL are $71.00 per seat. The cheapest ticket on the floor is $262.00 per seat.

(This price does not include processing, or fees, or parking, which will be extra.)

Wiggles in Rosemont July 30th

I didn't see anything about a family discount. They seem to sell a lot of tickets for just another stop on their tour. What with it not being a "Championships" or anything.

The Cavaliers home show in Lisle has reserved seating for $35.00 and bench seating for $25.00. No clue what parking will be, but it will not be as much as the Rosemont Theatre.

Reserved Seating for Cavalcade of Brass June 29

The DCI shows seems like a good deal to me. And probably thousands of others who will attend the shows this summer.

Perhaps your friends just are not that into DCI anymore, or would rather leave their progeny at a show and grab some alone time for a few hours.

My point?

DCI charges a fair price to see this awesome thing we all love.

That was a long way around ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mvF3GpyHKI

(note the lyrics....)