June 2011 Tour Premiere

If I lived nearby in Texas, I would make it my business to get to one or both of the live shows. Opening Day is a huge deal in MLB and the NFL, I don't understand why my fellow drum corps fans are being so negative about DCI's new idea. I'll be there at my local theater cheering on the start of the 2011 season.

Name one red blooded American, old enough to have cognitive thinking ability, that has never seen a marching music unit perform on a football field. These "uninitiated" people know what the marching activity is; and while "to us" marching band and drum corps is an equivocation, the difference between marching band and drum corps to most people is not distinguishable enough in their eyes to bring them any new-found interest in that type of marching entertainment.

. Ummmmm okay.... my roomate, my best friend jordan,my friends who know nothing about it who cam out to watch me march that are now hooked, chad, chase, zack, paige, steff, my parents, I'm sure there is others. But these off the top of my head are people who just went to one show, and now ask me all the time when we can road trip to the next.
  • Like 2

. Ummmmm okay.... my roomate, my best friend jordan,my friends who know nothing about it who cam out to watch me march that are now hooked, chad, chase, zack, paige, steff, my parents, I'm sure there is others. But these off the top of my head are people who just went to one show, and now ask me all the time when we can road trip to the next.

So, your roommate, your best friend jordan, your friends chad, chase, zack, paige, steff, and your parents had never seen a marching music performance, such as a marching band, before they saw you march in a DCI show? Interesting. Well, my contention is that they "had" seen marching bands, they had derived some sort of entertainment from them in the past because of your involvement, thus enjoyed DCI more due to your involvement combined with seeing the higher quality in DCI. I am referring to those uninitiated who have no personal connection to a performer, and have no interest in watching marching bands; they will also have no interest, nor care to watch, DCI.

Edited by Stu

Name one red blooded American, old enough to have cognitive thinking ability, that has never seen a marching music unit perform on a football field. These "uninitiated" people know what the marching activity is; and while "to us" marching band and drum corps is an equivocation, the difference between marching band and drum corps to most people is not distinguishable enough in their eyes to bring them any new-found interest in that type of marching entertainment.

So... everyone who has seen a marching band play half time at a football game and didnt care for it definitely won't ever like drum corps? Might as well not even try to introduce new people to the activity, I suppose.

The activity could benefit from a bit more optimism from all of us.

So... everyone who has seen a marching band play half time at a football game and didnt care for it definitely won't ever like drum corps? Might as well not even try to introduce new people to the activity, I suppose.

The activity could benefit from a bit more optimism from all of us.

Yep; that is my contention. The corps' in DCI, to those who already do not like marching bands, will just be seen as glorified marching bands at a very high percentage rate. This is not pessimism but realism. An overwhelming majority of new people enter the DCI fan base because of "personal connections to" or "personal love for" someone who is, or has been, involved with drum corps, not out of shear love for the activity itself. Once in as a fan they tend to enjoy the heck out of DCI, but it was that personal connection which sparked their first attendance.

Edited by Stu

Yep; that is my contention. The corps' in DCI, to those who already do not like marching bands, will just be seen as glorified marching bands at a very high percentage rate. This is not pessimism but realism.

And my point is that you're not even going to try to get anyone new to like the activity? So what if a high percentage of people won't like it, what about the small percentage who WOULD like it but wouldn't have known about it if someone didn't tell them about it?

• Like 1

This is not pessimism but realism. An overwhelming majority of new people enter the DCI fan base because of "personal connections to" or "personal love for" someone who is, or has been, involved with drum corps, not out of shear love for the activity itself. Once in as a fan they tend to enjoy the heck out of DCI, but it was that personal connection which sparked their first attendance.

You added this part after I wrote my reply.

I'm glad you added it, because your previous statements seem to discourage taking someone with you to this theater event.

What's wrong with bringing someone you know to the movie theater to create one of these personal connections to drum corps? If this theater event isn't causing DCI to collapse financially, I don't see why we shouldn't be excited that more people have the opportunity to enjoy the activity in some form.

My future mother-in-law got hooked on DCI many years ago when my fiancée took her to the DCI SW Regional after her band director said they should go check it out. Her mom was never in band and had only seen small town high school bands at football games back in the 70's. She still thinks of DCI as "marching band on steroids" but, nearly 5 years after her daughter's graduation from HS, she still is the first to buy tickets to the San Antonio show, even if we're not going to that one that year!

This is what the activity needs more of. So take people. Ignore the nay-sayers and the "dinos" who just crap on everything.

• Like 2

My future mother-in-law got hooked on DCI many years ago when my fiancée took her to the DCI SW Regional after her band director said they should go check it out. Her mom was never in band and had only seen small town high school bands at football games back in the 70's. She still thinks of DCI as "marching band on steroids" but, nearly 5 years after her daughter's graduation from HS, she still is the first to buy tickets to the San Antonio show, even if we're not going to that one that year!

This is what the activity needs more of. So take people. Ignore the nay-sayers and the "dinos" who just crap on everything.

Awfully wide paint brush you've got there. Some of us "dinos" aren't protesting the showing or telling people to stay away. I don't completely agree with the whole TOC concept but it is what it is and alumni, fans and "dinos" should be free to deal with it any way they want, yes?

Or... sit back and watch you spend all the money your mom gives you weekly, on tickets and t-shirts. Thats what us dinos will be doing. Me personally, will be sitting back :guinesssmilie: watching you go broke. Its gonna be fun seeing you implode. A classic rivalry in the making here-luv.