June 2011 Tour Premiere

For the record: Older fan does not equal "dino." I Dino is one that refuses to give the new style a chance and claims to be a fan while doing nothing but complain and "boycott" the activity.

Pretty sure my money comes from the state government, not my mother.

I'm not sure how someone could actually sit there, look at my post, and then say they disagree. You disagree with introducing people to DC? Interesting....

Though I understand your disappointment with the sentiment, there is a larger point for consideration.

Perhaps there are people that not only are unenthusiastic about drum corps in a theater (I, surprisingly, experienced it for the first time last year and absolutely loved it.), but they also resent the fact that several (if not most) of the featured corps have been known to come out with an incomplete product, and with no apology for doing so. It's my understanding that whereas this practice (incomplete shows) is discouraged for this new experiment, there are no guarantees. We all know and accept that everyone is dirty early season, so that's not really a factor here.

More importantly, some people are still at odds with the exclusion mentality of the whole thing. The irony being that it's being sold as the "best of the best," but early season realities dictate otherwise. It's not unreasonable for some people to view it as...

"Spend your money on us because we're better than everyone else, even though we've traditionally never cared enough to give you a complete product early season."

Elitist? Arrogance? Maybe, maybe not. I get it.

For strictly personal reasons (It's the first show of my son's age out year, I don't want to miss it.) I'll be catching it at the theater, though I originally had plans to attend the Texas shows live. Fuel costs (Wisconsin to Texas) these days put a damper on that one, so I'm thankful for the opportunity, and I'm letting all the rest of the controversy go. It's not worth the frustration.

This is a VERY inaccurate statement. Out of last year's top 8 I'm aware of one, maybe two corps that came out with an incomplete show, which is nothing but a "time" issue as no ones shows are the same at the beginning and end of the season. I know SCV came out with like 7 minutes at their first few shows, but who else was under time at their first performances?

• Like 1

Yep; that is my contention. The corps' in DCI, to those who already do not like marching bands, will just be seen as glorified marching bands at a very high percentage rate. This is not pessimism but realism. An overwhelming majority of new people enter the DCI fan base because of "personal connections to" or "personal love for" someone who is, or has been, involved with drum corps, not out of shear love for the activity itself. Once in as a fan they tend to enjoy the heck out of DCI, but it was that personal connection which sparked their first attendance.

Your logic is pretty jacked here. If I think pee wee football is boring I might as well not bother watching the NFL? If a 10th grade jazz band doesn't do it for me I shouldn't bother checking out Chuck Mangione live? I can't STAND high school marching band, and I absolutely love drum corps, so I guess your argument is out the window.

Your logic is pretty jacked here. If I think pee wee football is boring I might as well not bother watching the NFL? If a 10th grade jazz band doesn't do it for me I shouldn't bother checking out Chuck Mangione live? I can't STAND high school marching band, and I absolutely love drum corps, so I guess your argument is out the window.

How is my logic jacked? Many people have children, brothers, sisters, and friends in pee wee soccer, and they have also seen World Cup Soccer with those participants, but they still do not like soccer (they instead support the participant by finding their interest "through" the child involved). The same holds true for DCI. People mainly get into watching drum corps either by direct involvement or through very close association with a close friend or close loved-one who has, or had, "direct" involvement. And for you to state that you cannot stand a show by a quality marching ensemble like Avon High School indicates to me that you are just as closed minded toward high school marching as those who would say they cannot stand a show by Carolina Crown in DCI.

Edited by Stu

How is my logic jacked? Many people have children, brothers, sisters, and friends in pee wee soccer, and they have also seen World Cup Soccer with those participants, but they still do not like soccer (they instead support the participant by finding their interest "through" the child involved). The same holds true for DCI. People mainly get into watching drum corps either by direct involvement or through very close association with a close friend or close loved-one who has, or had, "direct" involvement. And for you to state that you cannot stand a show by a quality marching ensemble like Avon High School indicates to me that you are just as closed minded toward high school marching as those who would say they cannot stand a show by Carolina Crown in DCI.

Your logic holds true for the activities you have chosen to use, Badminton and Soccer. You picked like the two lamest activities when it comes to Americans to support your logic. But if you use the activites BozzlyB points out, your case weekens. I can think of most housing sites where joggers or bikers, or people taking a walk, and they stopped to watch, because when you here a WC hornline, people can most definitely tell the difference in most cases. And I can think of another person, the doctor who handled all my drum corps injuries. He has no connection to the activity, now he buys tickets to Ohio shows all the time.

It looks like its official! Top 8 corps will be on the silver screen June 20th!

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=02155d18-2e62-458e-9afb-97c8f099b00c

Fans of Marching Music's Major League from across the United States will have the opportunity to watch outstanding performances of top DCI corps when Drum Corps at the Movies marches into theaters this summer for two one-night-only events.

2011 Tour Premiere

Monday, June 20 • 6:30 p.m. local time

Theater-goers will experience a historic first on Monday, June 20, when the top eight finishers from the 2010 DCI World Championship share the silver screen for the "2011 Tour Premiere," a competitive event that will be taped in high definition one night earlier in Round Rock, Texas.

Just a quick thought......what is the plan if they encounter wicked nasty weather on Sunday night June 19 ?

Wicked nasty weather in TX? In June?? :cool:

Wicked nasty weather in TX? In June?? :cool:

Dust Devils!!!!

Your logic holds true for the activities you have chosen to use, Badminton and Soccer. You picked like the two lamest activities when it comes to Americans to support your logic. But if you use the activites BozzlyB points out, your case weekens. I can think of most housing sites where joggers or bikers, or people taking a walk, and they stopped to watch, because when you here a WC hornline, people can most definitely tell the difference in most cases. And I can think of another person, the doctor who handled all my drum corps injuries. He has no connection to the activity, now he buys tickets to Ohio shows all the time.

And for many Americans the marching arts activity, whether it is HS Marching Band or DCI, is also very lame and very geeky just like Badminton. Other than the field in which it takes place, DCI has more in common with competitive Figure Skating and the art of the Ballet than mainstream sports like NFL and NASCAR.

• Like 1

I will make you a bet: More opening-day tickets will be sold for the movie "Dylan Dog, Dead of Night" across this country than the TOC theater event.

Ummm...OK. No thanks on the bet.

Some additional thoughts:

1) "Dylan Dog, Dead of Night" ticket sales beating DCI? Just means that there is a w-i-d-e spectrum of taste (or lack thereof) in the American movie going public.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. - HL Mencken

2) I'm still going to be in a theater watching drum corps and enjoying every minute of it.

3) The DCI events in Texas were originally announced as Tour of Champions events but are now "just" drum corps shows featuring some of the best from the prior year. Thus, there is no TOC theater event. Just a really good early season drum corps show in a theater near you.