Accutane and Drum Corps

I hated Accutane. I was on it when I was in high school, and it made me super depressed. I've never had any mood issues before or after that stuff. Plus, I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to be taking it while being in the sun for 12 hours a day.

i didn't think dr.'s still prescribed acutane?

From what I've read, the original drug was pulled from the market by the manufacturer, but generic versions of Isotretinoin are still available.

However, whatever any of our personal feelings may be about this or any other drug, I would encourage all to consider that the vast majority of us are not specialized medical personnel in this particular field and the earlier suggestion to rely on the educated knowledge of a medical professional is by far the best course of action. And, as always, it doesn't hurt to get additional opinions...also from trained medical professionals who specialize in such disciplines.

[Edited because I apparently have the upcoming season on my mind...I originally wrote "the original drum..."

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Isn't this the same stuff that the ambulance... err, "Injury Lawyers" run the commercials for urging people to join their lawsuits due to side effects?

yes, it's not the immediate side-effects that are its biggest problem.

it causes some severe digestive tract problems for a lot of people.

i took it, and it worked...but it's some powerfully toxic stuff.

From what I've read, the original drum was pulled from the market by the manufacturer, but generic versions of Isotretinoin are still available.

However, whatever any of our personal feelings may be about this or any other drug, I would encourage all to consider that the vast majority of us are not specialized medical personnel in this particular field and the earlier suggestion to rely on the educated knowledge of a medical professional is by far the best course of action. And, as always, it doesn't hurt to get additional opinions...also from trained medical professionals who specialize in such disciplines.

hence the mutlitude of us who said to talk to the marcher's doctor.

yes, it's not the immediate side-effects that are its biggest problem.

it causes some severe digestive tract problems for a lot of people.

i took it, and it worked...but it's some powerfully toxic stuff.

So, Lance, in your sig pic, those really are flames coming out of your a--, aren't they?

tongue.gif

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

I'll chime in. He can of course call the Dr.for medical advise and direction. I got the impression he was asking what it would be like on tour. If the Dr. tells him he can stay on it there may still be reason to wait. I took the drug years ago for mild acne and for the first 8 weeks it wasn't too bad. Then my lips chapped so bad they would bleed, my eyes dried out at the drop of a hat. Various aches and pains. I wasn't playing a horn at that time.

Overall it was worth it, but knowing what I know now I PERSONALLY wouldn't take it when on a drum corps tour.

My 2 cents.

hence the mutlitude of us who said to talk to the marcher's doctor.

Yes, some have said so, but some haven't. I wanted to chime in with my opinion that they should listen to the level-headed people such as yourself and not just take the suggestions of some to stop taking it who didn't mention anything about checking with the doctor first.

Yes, some have said so, but some haven't. I wanted to chime in with my opinion that they should listen to the level-headed people such as yourself and not just take the suggestions of some to stop taking it who didn't mention anything about checking with the doctor first.

This isn't Coumadin or Depakote which would drastically affect one's health if he or she missed a dose. Accutane and its generic's warning labels clearly state not to take it and have prolonged sun exposure, which would cause irreversible skin damage or have worse effects.

I would advise you to absolutely not take Accutane while on tour. Obviously, talk with your doctor, but I was all set to start Accutane when I wound up in drum corps and when I explained to my doctor what I'd be doing he said he would absolutely not let me start Accutane. The side effects to sun exposure were too severe. Granted, this was 20 years ago (yikes), but if it's still the same drug, I was told the side effects would be pretty rough even without the constant exposure to sun and there's no reason to add to the possibilities of sunburns as well as blisters on your lips.