So from what i can tell..

What phantom did was prove that show design can take you LONG way. By no means IMO were they cleaner or sounded better than BD or cavaliers. Their show design is what carried them to the top. The reason i don't throw crown in the mix is because they aren't as consistent as these three. Whose to say that bluecoats will pick up where they left off? A friend on staff said he didn't think the group is nearly as talented as they were last year (kind of a rude thing to say about a corps you're teaching at) and crown, with that show, just isnt going to get them where they want to be.

I would say that Phantom proved that GE + great musical performance can take you a long way. They're visual package was severely lacking, but GE + high percussion/music (and brass? if not high brass they were top 2 or 3) = shot at winning. PR 08 didn't have ALL of the pieces of a Championship caliber show design/performance, but they certainly (obviously) had enough between GE & Music.

Why should they ban him? He's done nothing wrong (other than betraying his friend's trust, which is not punishable here.) People here have said much worse about the Cadets and other corps. Should we ban those posters too? Their words were actually vitriolic and closer to violating actual board standards.

The rating is nothing but a popularity contest and a plea for attention. Now I have to read through posts like "I don't know why so and so down-voted you because..." I can't even believe they put that on this site. It's bad enough on reddit and now it's starting up here. I switched to the mobile version so I wouldn't have to see it.

Back on topic, I think Cadets will be in the top 2, along with The Cavaliers. I'm hoping for SCV to reestablish itself in the top 3 as well.

much like the last response, not because of what he said on here, Yes people have said much worse things about other corps (and for the record, I love the cadets and not really bluecoats fan at all, so it's not about the corps being 'dissed'). But people who have said such things have also contributed in a positive way to these forums. I just thought this account only existed for somebody to try to troll and P people off. it just seems that he must be constantly trolling. I'm not sure, i didn't look at old posts, but just that number gave me a hunch. I agree that the whole green and red thing is pretty lame tho, but it may encourage people not to be jerks, I don't know.

anyway, yes I agree, people shouldn't be banned for stupid things they say once in a while. But I just think people shouldn't be on here if the only thing they are doing is trying to be obnoxious, that's all.

I see your point, and i don't think what he has said on this thread is banable. But his profile said -78, so that tells me that he may intentionally have this account only to be a troll...(I mean... how does one even achieve a -78??? I'm not even mad... that's amazing. *name the movie*) which should be banable to me. And if you or I cross over into the dark side (yes, admitedly I have some opinions that some don't agree with) it will be just what you said, a momentary cross over at one time or another, not a constant trolling. Anyone that exists only to cause trouble should be dealt with, but not a huge deal I suppose. Anywho, I will live and not care too much either way, carry on, my wayward sun.

:tongue:

And I understand your point too. The poster said above that he " wanted to cause a stir ", so he knows what he's doing, and most of us know this schtick.We've seen it all before if we've ever been on any other discussion board... like a sports discussion board. It's the classic case of trolling, and you're right that its a broken record played over and over again. Every discussion board has trolls, and every board handles them as they see fit. If he stays or is banned, its fine with me. A fool isn't worth much consideration, either way.

Edited by BRASSO

And I understand your point too. The poster said above that he " wanted to cause a stir ", so he knows whathe's doing, and most of us know this schtick. It's the classic case of trolling, and you're right that its a broken record played over and over again. Every discussion board has trolls, and every board handles them as they see fit. If he stays or is banned, its fine with me. A fool isn't worth much consideration, either way.

:thumbup:

In order to win a championship, you have to have 4 things all working together at the same time:

1)Marchers with an average talent of above average,

2)Talented staff with EXPERIENCE that can a) write very good arrangements and have the music all fit together well with the b) drill, that is written well in conjunction with the music,

3)A really good show theme that is above average in difficulty, both musically and visually

4)The ability to execute it to almost perfection.

Also, the marchers can do their show perfectly, but a better show design and more difficulty will always win out over an easier show performed slightly better.

I think to add to your list:

5) "luck" of being better than other corps. Some years are easier than others to achieve this, but let's be honest here: you could be the best corps in the history of your organization, but if another corps is slightly better, you're not winning (ESPECIALLY if you've never Won before and are competing against a perennial Champion/Contender). That "unknown" factor is heavy enough to go against all but one corps nearly every year (other than the ties). Bluecoats show last year might've been good enough to outright win in 2007 (NOT saying that, just an example), but with the strength of Cavaliers & Blue Devils last year the Bluecoats top out at 3rd.

We'll see what happens with Blue Devils (who are REALLY dialed in show-design wise, and will continue to produce a Championship-caliber show this year), Cavaliers (who REALLY do not want BD to three-peat), Cadets (who REALLY are tired of not being Top-3), Crown (who REALLY want to prove that they are not a one-and-done Top-3 corps), SCV (who really upgraded their percussion/music staff and will look to make Top 5 again), and, of course, Bluecoats (who will be looking to make a Championship run).

There is so much "unknown" out there, who knows how it will all play out. And we're just talking about stuff we all already know: maybe Blue Stars will be incredible, or BAC will make another Top 5 run, or Phantom is laying low and quietly building a Top 5 corps. Maybe this year will be another crowded-at-the-top kind of year.

Or maybe it will be another Blue Devils-dominate-again year.

the one thing that seems to be missed here is the fact that this year ALL of last year's top 8 finalists are competing right away. There will be no West Coast scoring influence or a watch to see if the East/West/Midwest tours will be the first to hit 80+ points. This is going to be an exciting year from the first corps coming out on the field in Texas to the last corps on the field in Indianapolis.

This year there is no time to 'be getting ready' the first few shows.

It is be ready or be left behind this year!

....but I must protest that the West Coast corps have a distinct advantage to those of us praticing in the cold, rain and tornados.

IT'S ALMOST JUNE!!!!!

the one thing that seems to be missed here is the fact that this year ALL of last year's top 8 finalists are competing right away. There will be no West Coast scoring influence or a watch to see if the East/West/Midwest tours will be the first to hit 80+ points. This is going to be an exciting year from the first corps coming out on the field in Texas to the last corps on the field in Indianapolis.

....but I must protest that the West Coast corps have a distinct advantage to those of us praticing in the cold, rain and tornados.

IT'S ALMOST JUNE!!!!!

That's true: there will be no cries of "West Coast Bias" this year, and no shows of Blue Devils, vs Blue Knights, vs Pacific Crest vs Impulse or something where the competitive levels are pretty out of whack. Right from the start we'll have at least a little bit of a good idea of where everyone is at (though we'll have unfinished shows, "fake endings," etc).

*edit: there MIGHT be cries of 'West Coast Bias,' but they'll be less valid than in past years :tongue:

Edited by perc2100

IT'S ALMOST JUNE!!!!!

Have you watched any of SCV's video? They've had *interesting* weather.

• Like 1

FWIW California has had pretty crazy weather this year as well: no tornados (or snow), but plenty of cold & rain this winter!!