A History Making Season

The years that I felt were the most historic so far in DCI from a quality/placement perspective(in my humble opinion)is:

And I have a feeling 2011 will be on that list as well. Lots of new contending corps, high quality show designs, fan-centric writing and larger operating budgets will help (thanks in part to the Chase deal). It feels like the stars are aligning for us this year but it could just be my preseason excitement.

Edited by ChrisVT2003

Year 2000 was memorable because The Cadets' show in 2000 was the greatest show ever written.

See, I think people think of that show as the best ever written because of the last couple of minutes. I'm not going to argue with that, and the last few minutes of Cadets 2000 is definitely an all-time great moment of drum corps. I'm surprised no other top corps has tried to out-do those last few minutes.

Although I've heard there is a corps this summer who will be... :ph34r:

To mention the G8 with such nonchalance? You MUST be new here! :tongue:

I've been a drum corps fan for 12 years. Not exactly new to the activity.

I'm also not automatically hostile to new ideas, especially when it comes to the drum corps activity 1) making more money and 2) having some sort of audience participation. Oh - and 3)providing another incentive for corps to compete harder, to make top 8.

I think people have overreacted to this. It really isn't a bad idea - and btw when you say G8, what are you talking about? I'm talking about the ToC events, which are the top 8 from last year. If they do it again next year, then the top 8 from this year will be in it.

See, I think people think of that show as the best ever written because of the last couple of minutes. I'm not going to argue with that, and the last few minutes of Cadets 2000 is definitely an all-time great moment of drum corps. I'm surprised no other top corps has tried to out-do those last few minutes.

Although I've heard there is a corps this summer who will be... :ph34r:

The last few minutes?

Can you elaborate?

The percussion feature was just....there are no words to describe it - I thought the whole show from top to bottom was good...although the ballad kinda bored me, but ballads tend to do that.

I also think Cadets 1998 show was genius. Also one of the best designs, and IMO one of the best guard shows ever written.

The last few minutes?

Can you elaborate?

IMO, the first 9 minutes of Cadets 2000 were good: well executed, competently designed, but not "historical" or super remarkable. To me the first 9 minutes of that program feel like a typical, almost "stock" Cadets show. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with that.

The 9-11 minute mark of that show are OFF THE HOOK! As you said, the drum break is awesome, capped by the show-stopping (by "show" I mean DCI Championships, not just Cadets) tenor feature. Although the tenor feature was done in WGI PSW in either 98 or 99, it was still incredible: and the crowd ate it UP! It's great. Then the brass does their one-handed solo thing which is also awesome. That two minutes of drum corps is arguably the most entertaining two minutes of drum corps of the last decade+.

The the last minute and change is a typical Cadets ending: fast, lots of drill, chord progression, etc. Very well done, but, to be honest, 'same old same old.' Again, there is NOTHING wrong with that; it's Cadets at their finest.

But when people think of that show, they think of those two minutes from the 9 minute mark to about the 11 minute mark. It's kind of like going to a good restaurant, having a good meal, a PERFECT desert, and then declaring it the best meal ever. People remember those two minutes of drum corps perfection, when that show as a whole are not-so-memorable.

AGAIN, those two minutes are off the hook, and the full show is a solid drum corps design/performance (which I happen to like a lot). But I wouldn't even call it the best Cadets show between 1995-2005: maybe not even the second best Cadets show.

The percussion feature was just....there are no words to describe it - I thought the whole show from top to bottom was good...although the ballad kinda bored me, but ballads tend to do that.

Also, your own opinion kinda correlates what I'm saying: you loved the drum feature, thought the rest of the show was "good," except the ballad that was "boring."

To me 2011 is going to be THE history making season, from the very first show.

If one of the TOC corps are not ready its going to really show AND put a huge dent in the rest of their season.

Has the top corps in any of the classes started the season this way - I don't know or dont remember.

But, this is going to be historical for 2 reasons:

1. The TOC corps all competing in one place at the same time TWO nights in a row at the beginning of the season.

2. If we can't be there to see it live, we can travel (hopefully) a short distance and watch a replay of the events and hear the results for the first time with everyone else.

Hopefully the actual corps shows will also make it a historic year!

I think the whole Cadet's 2000 show was way above average - even the opener was fantastic!

Yeah, the last 2 or 3 minutes of the show is what makes it memorable, but without what came before it, it's nothing.

The whole musical package - just incredible.

I think it's the best drum corps show ever written. VERY few shows can come close. Maybe when Star did Pines of Rome, or the one show with Medea's Dance of Vengeance, maybe SCV 1989 or 1999, you all know the "memorable" shows, plus the shows before my time,

anyways

yeah