2011 Uniforms

Teal sound brown pants

Yeah...something about those uniforms don't look right.

The DM uniform on the entire corps would be a huge visual mess to clean, though. That's why corps moved away from the gaudy, individualized looks of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Really, as long as the hat and gauntlets stand out, the rest is negotiable. That's a lesson the Cavaliers perfected a long time ago (also why the switch for BD in 94 moved the A-frame split of the jacket down to mid chest). Cesario once gave an interview about that - the point of the uniform being that it's cut so that it looks right when horns are up, and the detailing is focused on the area you'd see below the triangle created by the arms. In that context, Academy's new unis make sense - the gray/silver vest is what shows up when the arms are up and the corps is in motion.

As for Crossmen, I was in favor of white pants, but I think the photoshop pretty well shot that down. In that case, maybe the black sequined flap s/b silver? I would also add red edging to the bottom hem of the jacket, just so in closeup shots there's a line between jacket and pant, and along with the sequined flap it harkens back to the crossover design of the early 90's unis.

One of these days I'm going to learn how to use Photoshop so I can illustrate what I mean. :tongue:

Mike

Really, as long as the hat and gauntlets stand out, the rest is negotiable. That's a lesson the Cavaliers perfected a long time ago (also why the switch for BD in 94 moved the A-frame split of the jacket down to mid chest). Cesario once gave an interview about that - the point of the uniform being that it's cut so that it looks right when horns are up, and the detailing is focused on the area you'd see below the triangle created by the arms. In that context, Academy's new unis make sense - the gray/silver vest is what shows up when the arms are up and the corps is in motion.

As for Crossmen, I was in favor of white pants, but I think the photoshop pretty well shot that down. In that case, maybe the black sequined flap s/b silver? I would also add red edging to the bottom hem of the jacket, just so in closeup shots there's a line between jacket and pant, and along with the sequined flap it harkens back to the crossover design of the early 90's unis.

One of these days I'm going to learn how to use Photoshop so I can illustrate what I mean. :tongue:

Mike

I agree that a few red details here and there would give the uniform a great deal of depth up close and not take away from the corps at a distance either.

• 1 month later...

Cavalier color guard unis...via Twitter moments ago.

i33vc.jpg

WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN....

My expression when I saw this was:

Dear God, this can't be happening! :lookaround:

• Like 1