Which Corps has the Fittest Members?

As each season commences, it is quite evident that drum corps design teams program tremendously demanding field productions. Because of these incredibly onerous shows, corps members must be as well conditioned as athletes. Which corps do you guys think are the most athletically fit just based on the difficulty levels of their shows/physique of their respective members?

• Like 1

I have no idea...I think probably all of the WC corp staff have their marchers doing at least some demanding physical training...last year with the Blue Stars, I remember watching the brass instructor make the trumpets run around in a circle for a good 30 seconds, then make them pick up their horns on the spot and begin a section of the music.

And I imagine rehearsing a show sun up til sun down every day for 3 months in 90-100 heat will make anyone physically fit...

• Like 2

I personally think that crown has the fittest members. The sheer amount of core strength it takes to do the movement they do is a true testament to the physical fitness of the members. Also, I saw The Cadets in Allentown in '09 and that was the skinniest corps I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I'd have to say either Cavaliers or SCV. Both have the same training program, sharing many staff members, and Jeff Fiedler, who helped to establish the Cavalier's strong fitness program, and then brought it with him to SCV, including his physical trainer, who is affectionately nicknamed "Satan".

• Like 1

The real question is...

How many World Class corps cut individuals not based on musical or visual prowess but based on body type and appearance?

It happens...

• Like 2

As each season commences, it is quite evident that drum corps design teams program tremendously demanding field productions. Because of these incredibly onerous shows, corps members must be as well conditioned as athletes. Which corps do you guys think are the most athletically fit just based on the difficulty levels of their shows/physique of their respective members?

They all look fit to me.

The real question is...

How many World Class corps cut individuals not based on musical or visual prowess but based on body type and appearance?

It happens...

I'm not arguing that you are stating something that is false because I'm sure it does happen; however, it's pretty obvious that a lot of corps do NOT cut based solely on body type and appearance. One has to wonder how many injuries over the last few years have been due to a lack of physical conditioning in the off the season. I can imagine that some corps cut applicants who are clearly not taking off-season physical training seriously enough to make them ready for what the designers are putting together.

• Like 4

I'm not arguing that you are stating something that is false because I'm sure it does happen; however, it's pretty obvious that a lot of corps do NOT cut based solely on body type and appearance. One has to wonder how many injuries over the last few years have been due to a lack of physical conditioning in the off the season. I can imagine that some corps cut applicants who are clearly not taking off-season physical training seriously enough to make them ready for what the designers are putting together.

my wife has often commented when we have attended July shows in the midwest in the heat: "how can a person in that soft condition/body frame still be that way after all the intense hours?"

I told her they must have a strong heart.

• Like 1

1. SCV

2. Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Crown

5. Madison or Phantom

-from my experience these seemed to be the most fit overall. Cadets are some of the skinniest members Ive seen almost to skinny to be healthy lol.

• Like 1

Well, we already know from last year's show that the entire Cavaliers' horn line can do one-handed push-ups.

• Like 1