Where are the timpani?

My feelings exactly. I have long felt that timpani is probably the instrument most composers know the least about writing for. Drum Corps has pushed the art of timpani playing to a place not explored by modern composers.

I would have to disagree with you. There have been more demanding timpani parts written for wind ensemble/concert band literature in the past 10-15 years than at any other time.

• Like 2

There is no inexpensive "outdoor" model, yes?

Actually, a couple of companies to produce some inexpensive (by comparison) "outdoor" models that are meant to be more "compact" for gigging purposes. They don't sound great, and I'v never seen a corps use them.

I would have to disagree with you. There have been more demanding timpani parts written for wind ensemble/concert band literature in the past 10-15 years than at any other time.

And if we're talking composers in general, timpani have been BY FAR the oldest percussion instruments written for. I don't think I've EVER thought there was a corps who produced good arrangements of brass & percussion but seemed lost writing for timpani (obviously there are composers/arrangers in drum corps who are flat out not-that-great at composing, and saying they couldn't write for timpani wouldn't really be fare).

if they fit the show i'm all for it, as long as it isn't a triggered sound

I lugged my 5 timps on a Jarvis cart. 1/2 the time in '98 (there were two of us), and then full time in '99. So I under stand the financial, spacial, and convenience factors of not having the timpani.

That said, I still love the timpani. I wish more high school students were taught timpani skills more in depth. I wish more corps would feature the timps more. I wish corps would do a better job of amplifying their timps also.

I'm glad the well-used Yamaha timpani I played didn't have note gauges on them. I learned to play by feel and by ear. (take a listen to Pioneer '99)

Its a sad day for me when more corps let the timpani slide by the wayside. They do a great job of balancing out the low end of the front ensemble.

I guess I am confused. Here all this time, a few seasons and thousands of dollars later paying for my kid to march, I thought that drum corps was ******not***** about making excuses, cutting corners, or short-changing students who want to jump for the brass ring. The timpani are an incredibly difficult instrument to learn, play, drag around, tune and most of all, pay for- agreed. But, it is sad to see so many be so willing to just wave this instrument off because it is "difficult" to find good players. There are, believe it or not, still kids out there who not only WANT to play this instrument, but teachers willing to teach them, and people willing to mentor. The statement that this is still a requirement to get into most college percussion programs is very accurate. Timpani is a unique instrument that requires a lot of skill, talent, patience and very hard work. And silly me, here I've sat a drum corps fan/parent all these years thinking that these traits were what drum corps was all about. Thanks for correcting that perception today.

To me, timpani is the metaphor of what drum corps is all about today.

< /sopabox>

• Like 5

Drum Corps timpani does seem to be a dying art form. My son played timpani for the previous two seasons, but this year is not playing timpani. Here are some of the corps that currently do not have timpani positions: Crossmen, Carolina Crown, BlueCoats. It is true that timpani are expensive, difficult to transport and maintain while on tour...but, honestly the drum corps activity is the only place that is actually pushing the level of technical timpani playing upwards in a way that classical timpani performance is not. I hate to see it slowly be squeezed out.

I think that last comment is a bit naive. Drum corps timpanist definitely have good hands moving around the drum, typically have a pretty good ear, and have good skills listening and playing with a large ensemble. But I've very rarely seen a drum corps timpanist that plays anywhere close to even a mid-level Symphony timpanist, let alone a major Symphony principal timpanist. VERY few have a good musical "touch" to the instrument, and I think that a lot of people take for granted how much skill is involved in playing timpani professionally in a classical environment.

As for the topic, I honestly think it can go either way: great arranging is great arranging, and a great show can be produced minus timpani. Corps can certainly substitute the timbre and rhythms of a timpani on a a synth and make it work great. On the flip side, great timpanists add a lot to a show.

I guess I am confused. Here all this time, a few seasons and thousands of dollars later paying for my kid to march, I thought that drum corps was ******not***** about making excuses, cutting corners, or short-changing students who want to jump for the brass ring. The timpani are an incredibly difficult instrument to learn, play, drag around, tune and most of all, pay for- agreed. But, it is sad to see so many be so willing to just wave this instrument off because it is "difficult" to find good players. There are, believe it or not, still kids out there who not only WANT to play this instrument, but teachers willing to teach them, and people willing to mentor. The statement that this is still a requirement to get into most college percussion programs is very accurate. Timpani is a unique instrument that requires a lot of skill, talent, patience and very hard work. And silly me, here I've sat a drum corps fan/parent all these years thinking that these traits were what drum corps was all about. Thanks for correcting that perception today.

< /sopabox>

G bugles...cymbals...tympani...

next will be tubas and marimbas...

I know it's been said many times by many people, and it sounds so silly when they say it but...it's heading towards a pit full of synths, and a huge guard. If that's what people want, I guess that's what they want, but I won't be supporting it.

• Like 1

< /sopabox>

No instrument is a metaphor for what drum corps is all about. Drum corps isn't really about instruments at all; they're just the vehicle, a means to an end. And like a vehicle, once outdated, corps will buy a new model. No single instrument captures the essence of what drum corps is to members today.

• Like 3

No instrument is a metaphor for what drum corps is all about. Drum corps isn't really about instruments at all; they're just the vehicle, a means to an end. And like a vehicle, once outdated, corps will buy a new model. No single instrument captures the essence of what drum corps is to members today.

Very well spoken. Many try to use the changes to say that "Their" time was the best time of drum corps. Not true.

The fact that a few corps are ruling out an instrument that is logistically difficult, expensive and not vital to certain types of programming does not mean that the activity is somehow flawed. They make better drum carriers now too. Is it somehow symbolic of how awful drum corps is that they are using drum carriers that are more adjustable and fit better and are better constructed from superior materials to what they were in the 80s?