Pushing the Envelope

I probably shouldn't be saying this but the Buc's entire show this year consist of them sitting in chairs looking in mirrors. :cool:

Where is the Like Button?

• Like 2

So Elvis wigs for 2012 then??

sorry, all Elvis gags are the sole intellectual property of Vic Kulinski and whatever corps he is with

So ... in those instances, you would be pushing the mower instead of the envelope ... interesting ...

:cool:

well fran doing yardwork willingly is pushing the envelope

well fran doing yardwork willingly is pushing the envelope

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Actually, I like doing the outdoor work. It reminds me that the weather's warm!

In the interest of continuing to create topics to discuss, I was curious which corps everyeon thought has been the most ground breaking as far as pushing the activity "forward" is concerned? Obviously, there is can be a strong claim for the Bucs, as they have won the title the past 6 years. It can be said that they have certainly pushed the activity forward in the direction of higher achievment, and in my opinion, have helped to bridge the gap between junior corps and senior/all-age corps. There are also up and comers and new faces that have pushed the activity forward, as well.

There are certainly groups, past and present, that can be used as examples as to who has made the most impact on the DCA activity. Thoughts?

I guess somewhere along the line your question about pushing the activity forward became "pushing the envelop". I think there is a distinction between these two phrases.

As an example, if you go back to the mid-60's Les Diplomats certainly pushed the envelop when they performed a rotating block. It had never been done before (that I know of) and was something the judges were not initially prepared for. I would call this "pushing the envelop because it was outside what had been done in the past and was adopted by the activity. In addition, the crowd went nuts and it certainly affected the general effect category because the judges had a difficult time analyzing the effect vs the precision, even under the tick system. Did they also move the activity foward....certainly.

However, by your description of 'moving the activity forward' I think Bucs fit your description, no "pushing the envelop", because other corps have to work harder to match their abilities. Not that every corps doesn't strive for perfection in their show, but with Bucs consistency over the last few years, there certainly is a higher standard to reach. But I don't think excellence is necessarily innovative or what I would call pushing the envelop. Their execution is excellent, but is the overall show distinctly different than most other corps? By the way, I don't mean to take anything away from the Bucs. Their achievments are impressive.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs (or phrases) here but heck, that's what this forum is for, no?

We were at the World Open in '75 and were talking to a bunch of SCV kids that we ran into. Eventually the conversation turned to DCA and they had no idea what we were talking about until we mentioned the Cabs. Does that count?

We were at the World Open in '75 and were talking to a bunch of SCV kids that we ran into. Eventually the conversation turned to DCA and they had no idea what we were talking about until we mentioned the Cabs. Does that count?

hmmmmm dont think so but good try.....lol :smile:

Hy Dreitzer.