Why Did You/Do You March With Your Corps?

I auditioned at a "local" G8 corps in 2006 and 2007. In 2007, I was given a call-back and cut at the second camp. I really wanted to march drum corps and had two friends traveling out of state to audition at a lower-placing drum corps. I tagged along with them and auditioned planning to use this corps as a stepping stone to my "dream corps." My audition experience was overwhelmingly positive. I was treated as a human being rather than as a number. The vets were open and welcoming instead of cliquey and standoffish. I was eventually offered a contract and spent the summer with the corps. Turns out, I had found a home! And given of the competitive conditions of that season (and of my age-out season), I'm glad I decided to stay there. I got to march two accessible, well-received, melodic drum corps shows.

• Like 1

Of course! But why these three corps???

That's what I'm interested in.

A) I live in Pennsylvania. "But Matt, why don't you march Cadets?!" I don't think Cadets would suit the marching style I was taught in high school, which makes my next point.

B) My current HS drill instructor marched with Bluecoats, thus our shows/marching style/musical arrangements are related to portions of past Bluecoats shows.

C) The Cavaliers was the first corps I saw ever; went to a practice of theirs relatively close to my home last summer, and was blown away. Some sort of sub-conscience desire to be with them attracts me there.

D) I just connect with Crown and their music - I think it is safe to say that their hornline is amazing (I might even try to argue they have the best hornline of the three!).

E) I play baritone/euphonium, which doesn't necessarily narrow down any corps for me, but allows me to gauge the arrangements of corps' music, and these three catch my ears.

I mean, I could say BD, Phantom, SCV, BK, etc., but those corps just don't "connect" with me like these do. I mean, saying you want to march BD to kids my age (high school kids) would be like saying, "I want to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona when I go professional in soccer!" - there is a chance that I could try out and make it, but BD is pretty tough from what I hear. I am a decent player, but I'm no prodigy with automatic membership everywhere...

It's hard to say. Kids wind up in various corps for all kinds of different reasons. Geography, relatives who marched there, instructors, band director referrals, aggressive recruiting, getting cut from another, corps fees, cool uniforms, style, freinds who march there, and some were just born into it. It's a long list. :smile:

A) I live in Pennsylvania. "But Matt, why don't you march Cadets?!" I don't think Cadets would suit the marching style I was taught in high school, which makes my next point.

B) My current HS drill instructor marched with Bluecoats, thus our shows/marching style/musical arrangements are related to portions of past Bluecoats shows.

C) The Cavaliers was the first corps I saw ever; went to a practice of theirs relatively close to my home last summer, and was blown away. Some sort of sub-conscience desire to be with them attracts me there.

D) I just connect with Crown and their music - I think it is safe to say that their hornline is amazing (I might even try to argue they have the best hornline of the three!).

E) I play baritone/euphonium, which doesn't necessarily narrow down any corps for me, but allows me to gauge the arrangements of corps' music, and these three catch my ears.

I mean, I could say BD, Phantom, SCV, BK, etc., but those corps just don't "connect" with me like these do. I mean, saying you want to march BD to kids my age (high school kids) would be like saying, "I want to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona when I go professional in soccer!" - there is a chance that I could try out and make it, but BD is pretty tough from what I hear. I am a decent player, but I'm no prodigy with automatic membership everywhere...

If you don't make one of those corps, don't be afraid to look outside the Top 8. Or the Top 12!

If you don't make one of those corps, don't be afraid to look outside the Top 8. Or the Top 12!

Oh, absolutely! These can be seen more as the high-profile corps I have looked into. I know a few people who have done Surf for a summer or two, as well as adults who are/were involved in DCA in Reading and other places. My scope is pretty wide, but always want to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

• Like 5

I grew up in a town next to where my favorite drum corps is from. Saw them on TV, saw them live, so their competitors and nothing was even close. The uniforms, the shows, the incredible hornline.

I was just #### lucky to live in the town next to Concord, Ca. Even luckier to be able to have marched in the Blue Devils A corps for 5 years. Wearing that cool uniform, experiencing the performances with some amazing hornlines (especially 82 and 84).

I never considered another corps.

• Like 2

I chose my corps to march with my brother. I wanted to go elswhere but I'm glad I didn't.

• Like 2

Went for a few reasons... someone on DCP (who no longer posts nearly as often\at all) convinced me to come up for auditions, also had a couple friends i was going to school with marching at Blue Stars that summer. Also, the recruiting calls where the pitch was 'be a part of something on the rise' as they put together a plan to expand the corps and bring it to D1 was appealing. Its made for a fun ride both as a member and as an alum.