Why Did You/Do You March With Your Corps?

BITD answer: I was asked...... seriously.... then that corps folded and followed the mob to Westshoremen,

LOL, you can tell I'm a dino right?

Current answer: Saw a group play back in 2002 and realized I still had to itch to play horn. Talked to a member and found the schedule was a good fit so got an eBay horn and started getting the chops and ear back. Also the current corps was a rival of my old corps BITD which makes it funny as Hell to me that I joined. (Still remember the "bus songs" about them. :tongue: )

I marched Bloo because A) My friend in the trombone section at OU did the year before and B) they had a camp in Texas and thought "why not? probably won't make it anyway" haha.

They were the closest corps to me that I thought I had a chance of making. Little did I know all I needed to do was show up to have a spot.

I marched for the rings. It's all about tha bling bling!

rings.jpg

Note: Not my rings. I keep them in a safe deposit box. But these are a nice pair to have, no?

Looks like they're stuck on your fingers! devil.gif

• Like 1

It was the closest one to me, only about an hour away. I barely got a spot my rookie year, and stayed there all through my age-out. The friendships I made were the main thing keeping me there, seeing as I put myself behind the rest of my college competition by not having a summer internship.

Saw BD at my first live show in 83 and was floored....filled out an audition sheet at the souvie both...realized I had one year of eligibility left and went for the brass ring.......and for once in my life, managed to grab it!

I've got a few more years under my belt with other corps....but I am first, foremost, and always a Blue Devil.

I'm extremely interested to know why all us marched with the corps we did, and your responses would be deeply appreciated!!!

My first, the Livingston Hilltoppers, from 64-67 was a VFW corps my dad signed me up with, as his post sponsored the corps. I started in the feeder as a 10 1/2 year-old, and that feeder became the only corps when fighting amongst the grownups broke it up, the 'big' corps reforming across town. We just did parades, never made it to the field.

My second, the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen, in 68-69, was the corps that broke away from the above...it was a middle-level Garden State Circuit class 'B' corps that at least competed. Took me that long to convince my dad; he finally saw the writing on the wall in 67 that the first corps would just never compete.

My third, 70-72 was because I wanted to march in the top level. I spent the fall of 69 bouncing between Blessed Sac, my own favorite in the 60's, and Garfield, where a lot of my friends ended up the year before. Chose Garfield and never had a regret.

Not my fingers.

Oh good. tongue.gif

Yes, nice rings to have, but I think the memories may be better things to have, no?

• Like 1