Show Idea: "Sweet Charity"

Watched the movie "Sweet Charity" again last night and thouroughly enjoyed it. Yes the production numbers and songs and concept is dated, but I think it's still fascinating in terms of the songs, story, dance numbers and of course, Shirley MacLaine. The movie came out in 1968.

Would love to see a corps do a show based on the Broadway musical and movie, "Sweet Charity". (Cadets? Bluecoats? Blue Devils?)

Here's one of my favorite numbers from the movie, "I'm a Brass Band". (Yes I know it may seem very campy and a little flame-y,...) Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAVL-QcKvY

Watched the movie "Sweet Charity" again last night and thouroughly enjoyed it. Yes the production numbers and songs and concept is dated, but I think it's still fascinating in terms of the songs, story, dance numbers and of course, Shirley MacLaine. The movie came out in 1968.

Would love to see a corps do a show based on the Broadway musical and movie, "Sweet Charity". (Cadets? Bluecoats? Blue Devils?)

Here's one of my favorite numbers from the movie, "I'm a Brass Band". (Yes I know it may seem very campy and a little flame-y,...) Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAVL-QcKvY

Star of Indiana! I always thought of them as "Bis Spenders."

FYI...Many of the national contenders have done pieces from this show. Mighty St Joes actually did "Im a Brass Band" and "Big Spender" in 1967 and 1968, Cavaliers and Boston Crusaders also did some of these pieces as well as many DCA senior corps. It worked very well in the 60's. If you go to Corpsreps you can probably find how many corps have played these pieces..."If My Friends Could See Me Now" was huge during that time.

Donny

I think the issue in general with these musicals is tempo. Modern corps seem to prefer a pace faster than these books contemplated. So the choice is to chop the arrangements to shreds (we know how we feel about that) or slow it down (we know how the corps/judges feel about that). The third option seems to be not to do them (which is what corps seem to be choosing).

HH

FYI...Many of the national contenders have done pieces from this show. Mighty St Joes actually did "Im a Brass Band" and "Big Spender" in 1967 and 1968, Cavaliers and Boston Crusaders also did some of these pieces as well as many DCA senior corps. It worked very well in the 60's. If you go to Corpsreps you can probably find how many corps have played these pieces..."If My Friends Could See Me Now" was huge during that time.

Donny

Hey Donny ... the Bpt PAL Cadets also played Big Spender in 67 (Sasso) and 68 (Dreitzer) ... GREAT dum corps number! ... and, of course, Genero's version of If My Friends Could See Me Now was a standard bearer for the Hurcs in 70 & 71 ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Ventures did a Sweet Charity show in the late 80's / early 90's? It was one of the years they won Div. II - I remember they had a bunch of blow up dolls that they danced with.

Listen to St Joes (Batavia...LOL) from 1970...the concert number was a medley of sweet charity tunes.

Ventures did a Sweet Charity show in the late 80's / early 90's? It was one of the years they won Div. II - I remember they had a bunch of blow up dolls that they danced with.

DCI really misses Canadian corps.

They need to come back.

Soon.

In 1987, Ventures All Girl Corps from Kitchener, Ontario, performed their opener, Jubilance I belive, a symphonic concert band type of piece, and the rest of the show was music from Sweet Charity, in 1988 the entire show was from Sweet Charity. They Won Div. II in 1987 and placed in the top 25 as well. If memory serves me correct, they placed 2nd in Div. II in 1988 and again placed in the top 25 that year. Dave McKinnon (now Bluecoats) was the music director at the time and did some great arranging.