Crossmen 2011

Just heard throught the grapevine that Bones himself was there last night! This is his first appearance this season!

• Like 1

Hola amigos! I have a rookie in the Crossmen and I have some questions about how the scoring works... Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. If there is an article somewhere online that explains it, and it is easier, feel free to send me there.:satisfied:

Here goes:

On the composite scores, there is a column for General Effect. Underneath that is Music and Visual. I get that. However under music they have "rep" and "show". What do those mean?

The next big heading is "Visual", Ensemble. Does that mean that the battery and guard are not being scored? There are also more subcategories labeled "comp", "excl", "total", "Total". What's that all about?

Same questions for subcategories in the Music heading.

Go Bones!

Edited by proudTXmom

Hola amigos! I have a rookie in the Crossmen and I have some questions about how the scoring works... Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. If there is an article somewhere online that explains it, and it is easier, feel free to send me there.:satisfied:

Here goes:

On the composite scores, there is a column for General Effect. Underneath that is Music and Visual. I get that. However under music they have "rep" and "show". What do those mean?

The next big heading is "Visual", Ensemble. Does that mean that the battery and guard are not being scored? There are also more subcategories labeled "comp", "excl", "total", "Total". What's that all about?

Go Bones!

GE - Rep = Repertoire (the program that you are performing and how effective it is)

- Prf = Performance (how well you are performing/selling that program . . . i'm not sure where you're getting show from since it's not on the recaps on dci.org. in any event, show would mean showmanship, and is the same thing)

Visual Ensemble -- how good the corps looks as a whole. There are two other visual scores (Color Guard and Performance) but those judges aren't added until later in the season. Performance is a judge that's on the field examining the performance of individuals, whereas the ensemble judge is more top-down.

Comp = composition - analogous to repertoire from above

Excl = excellence - analogous to performance/showmanship from above.

Total = adding the two scores together.

Music:

Mus = musicality

Tech = technique? technicality? idk, but it's something along those lines.

Tech is more about whether or not you're playing the right notes in tune and in time with everyone else. If you're playing notes, are the right ones coming out, essentially.

Musicality is. . . musicality

These are obviously not 100% correct answers but should give you some clue. I hope your son is enjoying his first season! I remember my rookie year with Bones, and I'm insanely jealous that he's getting to perform this awesome show.

It looks like the drumline has a female tenor and two female basses, can anyone confirm? Corps looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing them in Bristol.

I also can't wait for Bristol

Go Bones!

Just a friendly bit of advice, as someone who has compulsively followed the home team's scores for the past couple of years. You'll see a lot of numbers going up on the interwebs. Ignore them all.

It's a piece of advice that's equally as valid for your rookie. As far as he's concerned, his performance can be scored in binary: zero or one. If he gave it everything he had (assuming a son - I can't be gender neutral) - in rehearsal that day, in the show that night - the score was a one. If not, it's a zero.

The rest of the numbers will follow.

• Like 5

Here goes:

Go Bones!

Read this article. It's a great intro to judging in DCI written The Great and Powerful Boo (who posts here quite frequently).

Just a friendly bit of advice, as someone who has compulsively followed the home team's scores for the past couple of years. You'll see a lot of numbers going up on the interwebs. Ignore them all.

It's a piece of advice that's equally as valid for your rookie. As far as he's concerned, his performance can be scored in binary: zero or one. If he gave it everything he had (assuming a son - I can't be gender neutral) - in rehearsal that day, in the show that night - the score was a one. If not, it's a zero.

The rest of the numbers will follow.

I agree 100%. Good one!

A million thanks to everyone for explanations of scoring, links to articles and some great advice.

Yes, my rookie is male. I will definitely share the binary scoring with him. (Love this idea!) :thumbup:

I will definitely share the binary scoring with him. (Love this idea!) :thumbup:

Also, tell him that if he gets more than five zeroes on the summer, Bones will devour his soul. :devil: