One thing some corps do that really amazes me

Hmmm...maybe this is thread hijacking, but does anyone know of any blunders on the field during a competition where a corps just totally fell apart?

That would be entertaining...

And they let you live? :tongue:

We won the show (one of the few times we beat SCV until after Whitewater), so yeah....but it was definitely an "oh %^@$" moment for me when I started the turn and saw another sop bell coming at me!!

Hmmm...maybe this is thread hijacking, but does anyone know of any blunders on the field during a competition where a corps just totally fell apart?

That would be entertaining...

1984....Whitewater Wipeout (although Garfield DID recover #### fast).

Most of the complete breakdowns probably happen in smaller, younger, and less experienced corps. By the time you get near the big boys, you tend to have the experience or instinct to recover fast.

I remember Cadets had a big clusterfu## one year recently. Of course, it wasn't reflected in their scores, lol. It was early/mid season, maybe in WV? I know someone knows what I am thinking of...

You talking about that "salute" to the dino fans last year, mid-season? That, too, was indeed a fast, brilliant recovery.

I remember distinctively two times Freelancers working on huge changes in the show (Northwest Tour 92 and Southern California Tour 94) and by the time staff had to decide whether the change was in or not for the show that night, both times the staff said, "Just do it the old way," because we hadn't quite figured it out or completed the changes or it just wasn't working. It worked out fine both times and I don't remember there really being any issues but I don't even know if I would have noticed. In the colorguard you're used to constant change so it seemed par for the course for me. I mean, Blue Knights staff midseason 95 decided the rifle line wasn't working and we were merged with the saber line. Had to relearn almost the entire show from scratch. No big deal honestly.

Edited by Cathie Wiener

That kind of retention happens in professional theatre all the time. In a situation where a show is in previews, often the cast will rehearse new content during the day, then perform the "old" show at night until the new content is absolutely rehearsed, tech'd, and designed up to be put into the show. Go anywhere on the Intertubes and read recent accounts of the preview history of the new "Spider-Man" musical for an inkling of what I mean.