Dress Rehearsals

Okay, let me clarify since every thread on here seems to fall into a battle of semantics. No SINGLE corps determines the when the start of their season falls, therefore, the mutually agreed upon date is what we have to work with, regardless of whether or not Corps X, Y, or Z would like to have a show a bit sooner.

Also, it wouldn't make much sense to start the season any sooner as many of the public schools around the country are just letting out. In other words, long story short, etc. The start date of the season as June 18th is just fine.

*edited to add some more thoughts*

Thank you for the added thoughts! You're right. Many schools have ended late, especially in the NE ( think Boston Crusaders), in the past.

Also, I just found out that year round schools have ended in Las Vegas, so maybe we could have shows earlier now?

First off, aren't dress rehearsals a one time thing? Isn't that what makes it what it is?

Second, what does the existence of a few "2nd dress rehearsals" tell us?

Marchers participate in this activity to perform and to compete. I think these DR's are satisfying this desire in marching members until actual competitions ensue later this month.

So: The season has taken an increasingly long time to commence. Why exactly is this, and can it be changed? Instead of Dress Rehearsal #2, in a town the corps is not from, ought there be a competition? Is this possible? Are corps these days reluctant to perform and compete in early season shows because their presentations are unpolished? If yes, what does this say about the state of the competitive aspect of drum corps, vis-a-vis the competitive instincts of the marchers themselves?

It has little to do with the "competitive instincts" of the corps or marchers...corps just don't want to look bad in a performance. And bravo to them. A dress rehearsal gives them that opportunity to see if costuming, full uniform, etc will work in a real scenario, but allows wiggle room if it doesn't. Many times, corps proper uni's are ready before guard uni/costume. In a dress rehearsal, a unit could do a mock-performance with what ever they have ready at the time, and the rest of the performers may where what they have at the time. To do this in a performance with paying audience would not be classy.

Start date this year is consistent with normal.

Dress rehearsals allow the show designers to see the show in as cloes to performace conditions as possible. Mind you I said see. The music writers and techs have been hearing it, the drill people and tech have been working it and see the physicality of it but until it is time for a dress rehearsal, no one really knows what it looks like. An expected nice visual may not turn out to be as developed as one hoped. From an Op's standpoint it give you a chance to see who the whole package together frome uniform prep to uniform reliability to loading equipment, unloading equipment, moving onto the field, etc., etc., the whole enchilada and it all matters. Whomever is the best prepared usually has an advantage over one who is less prepared. Oh by the way, check out Boston's dress rehearsal tonight on TV. go to www.newhampton.org. Check out the corps website to be sure. They are running a tape of the dress rehearsal after the performance. Hopefully before the Bruins-Canucks game.

And shows that really use the uniform a lot in their show probably need more dress rehearsals than others. I know we've seen Cadets in maroon and white shorts and t-shirts so far, but I suspect they'll have more dress rehearsals than anyone this season!

Dress rehearsals are almost always free and open to the public, often as a "thank you" to the community for hosting the corps in their area and putting up with the constant noise for a month or more of spring training. It also gives the members a low-pressure first run of the show. Honestly, this has to be the dumbest and most misguided target for dino rage ever.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 2

I only saw one post with this touching on the uni concept, so sorry if someone has already addressed it. In addition to all of these factors, there are two that I think are the most prominent. Performing with headgear and the restrictiveness is completely different. I think one of the bigger reasons, these days anyway, is that many corps are utilizing the uniforms in the overall design. IE: Phantom in '08 in removing the headgear, Cadets doing the same in '10, and let's not forget the Bluecoats '09 when they removed the uni top altogether. That was a very important part of their show, so a few dress rehearsals would be necessary until the corps was comfortable later in the season in not having to rehearse it literally. I think it's a great idea to hold however many dress rehearsals necessary to have the best product possible on your first show.

I'm just fine with the concept of dress rehearsals but I'm a little put off by the name, as it's a bit disingenuous. These performances are almost never "rehearsals" insofar as they don't operate like any of the other drum corps rehearsals do. They resemble performances more than rehearsals, and seeing as most of them are performances, I prefer to call it some sort of public performance.

But other than that little nitpick, they're obviously fine.

That being said, I think OP actually had an interesting point in, "Are corps these days reluctant to perform and compete in early season shows because their presentations are unpolished?" And, outside of the other reasons for why the season starts so late, I think it's actually more or less true. But I know, even as a member of various musical organizations, there've been times where I've not really been so chipper about putting something on the field that wasn't what it was supposed to be due to time constraints or whatever. And I don't think it's really a bad thing, in and of itself.

Good feedback!

I am not opposed to dress rehearsals, and I completely understand the importance of having them. They were hugely helpful when I marched (00-02). I suppose my gripe was semantic. I was under the assumption that dress rehearsals, by definition, were a one time thing. Subsequent non-competitive performances (which are of course a huge help at a season's onset) ought be referred to as exhibition performances, no? "2nd dress rehearsals" simply sound funny, and prompted me to post my thoughts on this forum. Additionally, I think my urge to see this season begin in earnest informed the framing of the questions I posed.

Dino rage, is that a thing?

Good feedback!

I am not opposed to dress rehearsals, and I completely understand the importance of having them. They were hugely helpful when I marched (00-02). I suppose my gripe was semantic. I was under the assumption that dress rehearsals, by definition, were a one time thing. Subsequent non-competitive performances (which are of course a huge help at a season's onset) ought be referred to as exhibition performances, no? "2nd dress rehearsals" simply sound funny, and prompted me to post my thoughts on this forum. Additionally, I think my urge to see this season begin in earnest informed the framing of the questions I posed.

Dino rage, is that a thing?

They could call them Poptart Exposes and it wouldn't matter. I mean...C'mon. :huh: