Dress Rehearsals

Even ships have a "shakedown" cruise to make sure everytthing works before the customer accepts delivery.

Every construction site has a "punchlist" of things to be corrected before the job is accepted.

Most resturants open for a week or two BEFORE the "grand opening" to make sure they have their #### togeather

Many sports teams have at least one practice under "game conditions" ( loud noise etc) before a real game.

I don't see any problems with several dress rehearsals, it's the smart thing to do.

When is the last time you bought a car without a test drive ?

Good feedback!

I am not opposed to dress rehearsals, and I completely understand the importance of having them. They were hugely helpful when I marched (00-02). I suppose my gripe was semantic. I was under the assumption that dress rehearsals, by definition, were a one time thing. Subsequent non-competitive performances (which are of course a huge help at a season's onset) ought be referred to as exhibition performances, no? "2nd dress rehearsals" simply sound funny, and prompted me to post my thoughts on this forum. Additionally, I think my urge to see this season begin in earnest informed the framing of the questions I posed.

Dino rage, is that a thing?

Maybe not the best source, but here's the definition from Wiktionary:

-----------

Noun: dress rehearsal (plural dress rehearsals)

1. A rehearsal prior to a public spectacle, where all the performers are in costume.

Ex. We've got three dress rehersals before the opening night to prepare ourselves for any potential technicalities.

-----------

I know my son was in a production of Les Mis for non-adults and they had 3 dress rehearsals. It's more about running the "show" from start to finish as if it were for real so the performers and techs can get the costume/scene changes, lighting, props, etc ready for the real show. I don't think anything in the name suggests it's only done once, especially if the first one goes badly.

Edited by Shamu89
  • Like 1

Thank you hahaha!

In my opinion, your sig is menacing. Good golly, think of the herbivores! Previous posts were about getting the kinks out and thanking their hosts. This makes sense to me from a school theatre lady 70-74 during which I also marched drum corps and winter guard.

Noun: dress rehearsal (plural dress rehearsals)

1. A rehearsal prior to a public spectacle, where all the performers are in costume.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'll still weigh in that calling them dress rehearsals, by this definition, is flawed:

A) "A rehearsal"

Dress rehearsals in drum corps are hardly rehearsals -- they are performances. There is no staff feedback -- no more than there is at any show.

B) "prior to a public spectacle"

Dress rehearsals in drum corps ARE public spectacles, and they can't precede themselves. Unlike dress rehearsals in other media, drum corps dress rehearsals aren't private, and, as I mentioned previously, they don't act like rehearsals.

It's not really something I care about at all, but a lot of people are following a red herring and attacking OP for "dino rage" and implying he doesn't think dress rehearsals are necessary when he's said that he does. Unlike him, I don't think "second dress rehearsal" is a problem -- there's no limit to the number of dress rehearsals possible. But I do think it's worth examining.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'll still weigh in that calling them dress rehearsals, by this definition, is flawed:

A) "A rehearsal"

Dress rehearsals in drum corps are hardly rehearsals -- they are performances. There is no staff feedback -- no more than there is at any show.

B) "prior to a public spectacle"

Dress rehearsals in drum corps ARE public spectacles, and they can't precede themselves. Unlike dress rehearsals in other media, drum corps dress rehearsals aren't private, and, as I mentioned previously, they don't act like rehearsals.

It's not really something I care about at all, but a lot of people are following a red herring and attacking OP for "dino rage" and implying he doesn't think dress rehearsals are necessary when he's said that he does. Unlike him, I don't think "second dress rehearsal" is a problem -- there's no limit to the number of dress rehearsals possible. But I do think it's worth examining.

The first step to addressing dino rage is admitting that there is a problem with DCI.

I didn't make up an arbitrary definition.

dress rehearsal 

–noun

a rehearsal of a play or other performance in costume and with scenery, properties, and lights arranged and operated as for a performance: often the final rehearsal.

italics mine. When I think of the term "dress rehearsal," it is mostly with this in mind.

My link

This is normally the type of idiotic thread/'argument' that would require multiple obligatory responses of "is it June yet?!"

Unfortunately for some, we're a little bit more than 24 hours away from the first show of the season, and this is the nonsense people are going back and forth 'debating?!'

Yikes... :rolleyes: