Who's taking Drums

Who's taking Drums  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to get the Fred Sanford title this year

I love how posts seem to infer that the most experienced person for a drumline is a veteran of the drum corps that the drumline is a part of. Vanguard has veterans of Phantom Regiment who have been marching since 2007, as well as outstanding players from many other different corps (some that are also VETERANS of SCV - the few but proud). Yet people just infer that a drumline will fail because there aren't many corps veterans in the line, or that the caption head and staff is new (even if they have Sanford titles under the belts, with the same performers following them to win another). I guess we should expect SCV to be a starter-line, right? Pshhhh!!! lol

1) SCV

2) Blue Devils

3) Bluecoats

Anymore than that, and I must be Nostradamus (which I'm not) ;)

So by your logic, with Blue Stars having numerous vets and having Tom Aungst at the helm they should be included in the list, right?

So by your logic, with Blue Stars having numerous vets and having Tom Aungst at the helm they should be included in the list, right?

Well, I guess the answer to that question is yes. A drum corps vet is a drum corps vet, whether they have five years and continuing with the same corps, or a "rookie" at a corps with over four or five (or whatever) years at other corps. They are seasoned veterans of the activity and nothing changes that, right? (and by the way, I'm expecting GREAT things from Tom Aungst's Blue Stars in time to come....)

Based the videos of I have seen of the unmentioned website, just search "SCV 2011", holy crap SCV is clean for June, night and day difference from past years. I'm talking 2004 SCV good. Wow! Hard to say now with so many show changes, but based on what I have seen ....(BTW we need to come up with a code word or safe word in DCP lol - I say we use "ebutuoy" as the code for utOObe.) back to what I was saying, based on what I have seen from other corps so far ebutuoy, SCV is the leader in the clubhouse.

According to what Rennick stated on Field Pass (8:50) in Feb 2 bass drummers, 1 quad and 4 snares are former PR guys. So we've got seven from the battery and who knows how many from the pit.

Regardless, I would imagine that a bunch of UNT guys went to SCV because of Rennick.

I'm jealous that you've seen them twice already. The clips on the forbidden URL are pretty amazing.

The SCV drumline is "in it to win it with Rennick". They brought enough vets over from PR (14 or 15 total, nearly 50% of the drumline/pit) to keep the momentum going, the same number that would have stayed with PR had there not been the staff movement. I saw them rehearsing in May at camp and again yesterday and they are playing extremely well right now. And the show definitely has been written to feature this drumline, lots of exposed features for them. The battery and pit book is one of the most challenging I've seen from team Rennick in the past few years.

My prediction for top 3 come August will be

SCV

Bluecoats

Cavies

Based the videos of I have seen of the unmentioned website, just search "SCV 2011", holy crap SCV is clean for June, night and day difference from past years. I'm talking 2004 SCV good. Wow! Hard to say now with so many show changes, but based on what I have seen ....(BTW we need to come up with a code word or safe word in DCP lol - I say we use "ebutuoy" as the code for utOObe.) back to what I was saying, based on what I have seen from other corps so far ebutuoy, SCV is the leader in the clubhouse.

I am sorry. I just don't agree that they are the leader right now.

I am sure that they are very good. They could even be the best percussion section right now in DCI and even at finals, but they are going to have to overcome the show design and the rest of the drum corps being weak. Last year when Rennick was at Phantom it was a miracle how he got the drums to win with the corps finishing 6th. That has not happened in decades (and I am very glad that it did). This year SCV will be lucky to be 8th. I honestly think they could be much lower and it is hard to win a caption when you go on 3 hours before the last corps. In addition, the drums could begin to get dinged by the judges for overbalancing in relation to the horns when in reality it is the horns that need to come up to the drums.

Anyways, could regiment win drums this year? Absolutely. The staff know how to teach and how to write and you know they attract amazing talent, but they are put at a pretty big disadvantage right now because the rest of the corps is so weak.

I voted Cavies, they had a great line last year, got second

Don’t think Phantom will repeat nor will SCV take it, Blue devils and coats would be the other main competition but Cavies were ahead of them both last year so they get the hype

I notice most of this conversation is revolving around Battery players and how many returning snares etc.

Anyone considering Front Ensembles?

Based on that, there is a NASTY (the good kind of nasty) amount of competition going on this year for the Sanford.

The usual suspects and definitely Crown, Blue Stars, etc. And you never know who is going to come out swinging this year! A few years ago, it would have been

crazy to think Bluecoats had a shot. In 2003, nobody considered Phantom as a serious percussion contender.

Maybe the Colts will come out and wow us! Ive seen some Crossmen footage on YouTube that blew my mind!

For the sake of this poll and all in good fun, I put the Cadets down. They are phenomenal right now! Great writing, great ensemble sound and doing some REALLY complicated stuff all with a very high amount of clarity for this point in the year. I am just excited to see all of these groups live! I think this is going to be the best percussion year since... well, the best in a long time if not ever!

With SCV taking high drums last night, that would put them as the leader in clubhouse at this point - tongue.gif

I am sure that they are very good. They could even be the best percussion section right now in DCI and even at finals, but they are going to have to overcome the show design and the rest of the drum corps being weak. Last year when Rennick was at Phantom it was a miracle how he got the drums to win with the corps finishing 6th. That has not happened in decades (and I am very glad that it did). This year SCV will be lucky to be 8th. I honestly think they could be much lower and it is hard to win a caption when you go on 3 hours before the last corps. In addition, the drums could begin to get dinged by the judges for overbalancing in relation to the horns when in reality it is the horns that need to come up to the drums.

Anyways, could regiment win drums this year? Absolutely. The staff know how to teach and how to write and you know they attract amazing talent, but they are put at a pretty big disadvantage right now because the rest of the corps is so weak.

Edited by Jeffe77

I saw SCV last night in the theater and I need to revise my stance on this. That drum line is amazing. Crazy good. They could absolutely win drums, even with the full corps struggling as much as they are.

The pit is not on the level as some of the others out there just yet, but man that drum line is incredible.