Can SCV Break into the top 5?

Actually, I was at both TX shows this weekend and do not see their show as the beast you portray. Thought Cadets and Blue Stars shows were definitely much more difficult, both visually and musically. IMHO.

I agree. Dirty and performed at sub-par level does not equal difficult = bad teaching and preparation ...

Pete Weber is still great. So is Key Poulan.

Eh, I'm not the defender of SCV, but all I'll say about this is that people on here have made SCV out to sounding much worse than they actually did.

I'm sure they'll be fine by the end of the season.

I am not a fan of Weber and too many times his drill stands in the way of the horn line being successful. Many people on DCP are critical of Key and maybe rightfully so, but part of Key's success is significantly tied to Weber's work. Also, there are too many times over the past few years where it seems acceptable for 10-15 members (sometimes more) of the hornline to be engaged in choreography that essentially removes them from playing (and these are big brass moments)! How many brass caption heads would be comfortable with this? So, who is coordinating Peter;s work with Key's to make sure it all works? As critical as we all (myself included) have been of Key, it's maybe time to start looking at Weber and replacing him as well ... or at least whoever is supposed to be coordinating these two. I would love to see Myron return to write the drill ... at times he can challenge the performers, but it seems like the overall vehicle and coordination was much stronger.

Am I advocating for the design team to be overhauled? YES! I am advocating that anyone should be protected and have their jobs be guaranteed? NO! The BOD should seriously (SERIOUSLY) exam this design team and leadership ... and I hoping things can turn around

• Like 2

I personally liked SCV's show a lot this year. Yes the hornline is struggling. But the percussion is the best they've been since 2004, and the guard seems to be doing very well too. I think if they get the hornline cooking, SCV might surpirse some people. Contender? I doubt it, but I think the BOD has made some bold moves and brought in one of, if not the, best percussion staff in DCI. I don't think bringing Rennick in has moved them in a bad direction. putting the puzzle together takes lots of pieces, I think they have more pieces to the puzzle than they did a few years ago. I have confidence the administration will get them there.

• Like 3

I am not a fan of Weber and too many times his drill stands in the way of the horn line being successful. Many people on DCP are critical of Key and maybe rightfully so, but part of Key's success is significantly tied to Weber's work. Also, there are too many times over the past few years where it seems acceptable for 10-15 members (sometimes more) of the hornline to be engaged in choreography that essentially removes them from playing (and these are big brass moments)! How many brass caption heads would be comfortable with this? So, who is coordinating Peter;s work with Key's to make sure it all works? As critical as we all (myself included) have been of Key, it's maybe time to start looking at Weber and replacing him as well ... or at least whoever is supposed to be coordinating these two. I would love to see Myron return to write the drill ... at times he can challenge the performers, but it seems like the overall vehicle and coordination was much stronger.

Am I advocating for the design team to be overhauled? YES! I am advocating that anyone should be protected and have their jobs be guaranteed? NO! The BOD should seriously (SERIOUSLY) exam this design team and leadership ... and I hoping things can turn around

Well, that's part of the problem that SCV has had for a while; staff consistency is important to doing really well in DCI.

We should give them some time. smile.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I think SCV will have a tough time staying in the top 8 when its all said and done. There drumline and guard as always are spot on, out of the gate but the hornline seems to be a serious setback along with there drill. 2011 seems just to competitive for SCV to show up in a top 6 spot this year. There amongst tough neck and neck competition with Phantom, Bluecoats, and even Madison is giving them a strong run for there money early on. I think these corps will prove to much for SCV to overcome for this year.

BEST OF LUCK '11 SCV

• Like 1

You're absolutely right about Weber stealing brass players for his own selfishness, I'm sure he did this without even running it by the show/program coordinator to add insult to injury! I'd have to say the best example of this was their 2009 production - WAY too much Martha Grahaming around the field for my tastes; definitely impacted their brass score in the negative... oh wait...

• Like 1

You're absolutely right about Weber stealing brass players for his own selfishness, I'm sure he did this without even running it by the show/program coordinator to add insult to injury! I'd have to say the best example of this was their 2009 production - WAY too much Martha Grahaming around the field for my tastes; definitely impacted their brass score in the negative... oh wait...

It's not always Pete's decisions, in '09, in what the guard staff and choreographer who picked everyone to have a visual solo, and same last year. It usually came down to the guard staff to pick people, and decide what they did, instead of Pete.

And yeah, in '09, they were 2nd or 3rd in brass at Finals with a 19.5.... so it sure didn't affect much, huh?

• Like 2

It's not always Pete's decisions, in '09, in what the guard staff and choreographer who picked everyone to have a visual solo, and same last year. It usually came down to the guard staff to pick people, and decide what they did, instead of Pete.

And yeah, in '09, they were 2nd or 3rd in brass at Finals with a 19.5.... so it sure didn't affect much, huh?

sarcasm my friend :)