First 2 show results thread

yet in late July, people on DCP, thousands of miles away from the show, can "predict" all of the scores within a few tenths...

:ph34r:

Also in late July, corps have a dozen plus competitions under their belts (including head-to-head with each other): it's not exactly rocket science at that point. Also, corps are more consistent after performing their show over a dozen times, and thus ranking variations from night to night aren't as prevalent.

• Like 1

about half of what was said was completely opposite from what the judges scored lol i have a headache

I had the same sense. Just got back from the theater event and was surprised at how how different my opinions were from folks who had attended the shows in person and reported in.

Here's my 2 cents...

In general, I agree heartily with the broadcast team that the corps were amazingly well prepared for the second show of the season. If this is the starting point, the performance levels this year are going to be incredible. Also, I could recognize and appreciate the attempts to make shows entertaining. Tip of the hat to Michael C and the ways in which corps responded.

BD. I never realized the music of Burt Bacharach was so dissonant. ;-) Many will like this show but it just didn't click with me. To me, the BD staff have such a distinctive arranging style, that everything they arrange comes out sounding, well, like BD. I was hard pressed to find the distinctive and lyrical melodies of Burt Bacharach in this show. Sorry BD folks. I have great respect for what they do.

Cavaliers. Wall to wall GE. The opener hits you in the face in the first 30 seconds. Drums are strong and are prominently featured throughout.

Bluecoats. Other reviewers have panned the coats. It helped to hear the designer's perspective on the broadcast. Basically it's a story about developing an identity as a drum corps member. I thought the beginning of the show conveyed that well - members begin confused, disoriented and disorganized and when all members lock in together for the first time - bam! Nice contrast.

Crown. Again, wall to wall GE. I didn't find the rock stuff cheesy. Others have and will continue to. Different strokes.

Cadets. Love the two different uniforms. Some amazing visual effects. Can't believe no one's done it before. When the whole battery is in a single formation though, it's a little hard to read visually (light, dark, light, dark), but otherwise, awesome effect.

SCV. I think SCV is a sleeper. Yes, they're very sloppy. But their drill is very demanding and high velocity and they have tons of room to grow IMO. Dug the music, but please lose the horn guy running around the field as he tries to escape hell.

Phantom. I'm sorry but I think it's going to be hard to communicate the story of Romeo and Juliet with no males in the guard. Before the broadcast, their design rep. said that the corps is supposed to represent Romeo at different points. I think audiences are going to need a more explicit, literal representation to read the storyline better.

Blue Stars. Loud. :-) Will be interesting to see how the use of the scaffolding evolves over the summer. Dennis D had an interesting observation on the broadcast, arguing that the scaffolding essentially prevented the horns and drums from moving backfield thus limiting the dynamic range of the music.

Edited by ecamburn

Just pointing out the fact that it is literally impossible to make any sort of valid/logical argument about placements of a show if you didn't actually see the show

With all due respect, please criticize something I actually said. I never mentioned the placements.

The NUMBERS are all over the place, both in individual captions and in totals. Sheer statistics make the numbers.....troublesome.

• Like 1

Also in late July, corps have a dozen plus competitions under their belts (including head-to-head with each other): it's not exactly rocket science at that point. Also, corps are more consistent after performing their show over a dozen times, and thus ranking variations from night to night aren't as prevalent.

sure. But do you really think Crown's run was 4 points worse than the previous night, when they thought they had a better show? Do you really think that Bluecoats percussion is capable of scoring first AND seventh on back to back days?

Look, I am all for movement, but the movement should be based on consistent judging standards applied to varying degrees of excellence on the field. Not similar degrees of excellence on the field interpreted wildly differently based on who is wearing the green shirt.

• Like 1

Should have been

1.Cavaliers

2.Cadets

3.Crown

4.Bluecoats

5.Phantom

6. Blue Stars

7. Blue Devils

8. Santa Clara Vanguard

• Like 2

Wouldn't it be great if there was this much change every night?! :D

Some of us "old-timers" were talking about how it reminded us of the old tick-system days... when there could be some wild scoring swings from show to show. LOL

Let me say first I'm a Cavies fan as well as all the other corps. I'm still having a hard time going with a first place nod when the show wasn't complete. I have my own opinions about placements, but that's all they are - my opinions. The fact remains, though, that the other groups finished their shows and risked their scores by doing that.

Honestly, I think one of the most entertaining things I watched tonight was the drum judge trying to navigate on the field. It looked to me he was taking a pretty good beating!

• Like 4

The only thing anyone should learn from this weekends contests is that this means absolutely nothing in regards to the end result. It has never happened before and theres no way to accurately rank any of these top 8 corps. Seeing the ranking fluctuate means there is really no slotting, ie; Crown 1st to 4th.

Cavaliers were very impressive, and still have an unfinished program. Blue Devils...ouch. Phantom Regiment has by far one of their best programs in a very long time and an outstanding visual program that will not need many re-writes like seasons past.

Bluecoatd and Crown, not as strong as last year but Crown has a greater degree of difficulty in their visual area, and a great guard. SCV and Blue stars dirtttttty and Scouts will catch Blue Stars this year.

Have a great year everyone !

Geoffrey

• Like 1