Grand ole Rapids

yeah that would have been nice to have announced a few days ago

I wasn't home until a couple nights ago from two weeks in China. I passed it on as soon as I found out after asking someone who would know to explain it. Things may not always be as timely as we might wish, but they always do get worked out. It wasn't known until the Brass judge replaced the Percussion judge that this would be an issue with how the recaps had been set up for display. Some things we learn as they happen.

Just got back from this show (I was working with the group who played the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning of the show).

I am just blown away by the quality of sound of almost every hornline this year. Hornlines all around just sound fuller and darker. Incredible shows this year too from all who were here. What a year for drum corps!!

Talked to a bunch of my Glassmen friends after the show. Confirmed my suspicions that tonight wasn't a good night for them. I expect to see the gap widen again between them and those behind them the next few shows.

Really nice evening for a drum corps show too.

• Like 1

A change from last year is that the fifth judge at all five-judge shows this year is randomly assigned from one of these captions; Brass, Percussion, Visual Performance and Color Guard.

Very interesting. I like that we'll get some early scores in those captions, OTOH, itll make scoring a bit screwy from night to night as different corps benefit from their strengths\weaknesses differently on different nights.

I'm getting a little annoyed that some of these corps value gimmicks and use them to sell their show... not just to the audience but to the judges as well. Here is our society.. getting all pumped for people playing upside down and swinging their horns around like guitars. It's a shame that those kind of things get rewarded by judges and fans more than the part where they make incredible music. Listen to crown play a major chord and make it sound like an organ. Listen to Bluecoats make more music in their opener than most corps make in their whole show. Listen to Blue Devils string beautiful thick harmonies together one after another. That's where the REAL magic is in drum corps. Those are the things that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I guess I'm on a different wavelength than most... and I'm okay with that.

• Like 3

I'm getting a little annoyed that some of these corps value gimmicks and use them to sell their show... not just to the audience but to the judges as well. Here is our society.. getting all pumped for people playing upside down and swinging their horns around like guitars. It's a shame that those kind of things get rewarded by judges and fans more than the part where they make incredible music. Listen to crown play a major chord and make it sound like an organ. Listen to Bluecoats make more music in their opener than most corps make in their whole show. Listen to Blue Devils string beautiful thick harmonies together one after another. That's where the REAL magic is in drum corps. Those are the things that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I guess I'm on a different wavelength than most... and I'm okay with that.

ok but its not just about the music otherwise you can go listen to a concert. Drum Corps like others things are differnt things to different people for some its the music for others the visuals and pagentry for some its just a night out..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Just got back from this show (I was working with the group who played the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning of the show).

I am just blown away by the quality of sound of almost every hornline this year. Hornlines all around just sound fuller and darker. Incredible shows this year too from all who were here. What a year for drum corps!!

Talked to a bunch of my Glassmen friends after the show. Confirmed my suspicions that tonight wasn't a good night for them. I expect to see the gap widen again between them and those behind them the next few shows.

Really nice evening for a drum corps show too.

I wouldn't write off Troopers, Spirit or Academy this year. You may see a changing of the guard for the last 2-3 spots in finals this year! I know that Troopers are finally getting the rest of their show on the field and they will definately be a force to reckon with over the next month or so! :worthy::thumbup:

• Like 1

I have to agree with you and I'm sorry that other people gave you negatives for saying what you believe. Gimmicks are crowd pleasers and perhaps they are trying to increase the popularity of drum corps, but I also believe that drum corps should be about the MUSIC. Phantom's show this year brings tears to my eyes and it's all because of the music.

• Like 3

I hear bass 3 is learning the show. Just by the line in the lot and looks like 125

That's unfortunate. I know the original #3 and #4 are both vets from last season.

I've not heard why #3 had to be replaced and I hope #4 was gone just due to illness in the short term.

Hopefully everything will be full by the time I get to see them on July, 5th.