Vanguard Yell & Viper

So glad to hear about the Vanguard yell! Wish I had known when it was coming, at Stanford. I was also really happy to see the cymbals still performing their silver surfer, viper, and "V"!. Go SCV!!

woah...i saw the Viper on a youtube vid of the show...but, i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the yell isn't covering up the awesome bass solo in the spot i think u are talking about....that'd be awful to cover up an SCV bass solo w/ a yell

Well, I'll go head and say it... I'm one of the few that can do w/o the "yell". It was a nice moment for a couple years (thank God Key didn't leave room for one in Ballet For Martha. It would have totally ruined a gorgeous show) but the novelty has worn off for me. I know there are those out there who live for the yell and are edge just waiting for their moment, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm glad I heard the show once w/o out it (Clovis, CA), but I'm not so sure I'll be that lucky in Houston.

*gets ready for lots of red negative numbers*

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 4

Well, I'll go head and say it... I'm one of the few that can do w/o the "yell". It was a nice moment for a couple years (thank God Key didn't leave room for one in Ballet For Martha. It would have totally ruined a gorgeous show) but the novelty has worn off for me. I know there are those out there who live for the yell and are edge just waiting for their moment, but It's just not my cup of tea. I'm glad I heard the show once w/o out it (Clovis, CA), but I'm not so sure I'll be that lucky in Houston.

*gets ready for lots of red negative numbers*

No negative numbers from me. :) I tend to agree with you. I can take it or leave it. I think it fits well and naturally in some shows - worked for me very well in Sheherazade but would have been terrible in Ballet for Martha in my opinion. I don't think it needs to be abandoned, but used sparingly when appropriate rather than forced. Having said that I haven't seen the show this year yet, so I don't have an opinion for 2011 but I agree with you conceptually.

• Like 1

woah...i saw the Viper on a youtube vid of the show...but, i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the yell isn't covering up the awesome bass solo in the spot i think u are talking about....that'd be awful to cover up an SCV bass solo w/ a yell

The SCV yell is fine with me. ' Hard to get the vapors over the Vipers, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

In the past, it's always been a complete break in music to allow for the yell, so I don't think there's a worry there.

I'll agree there are times when the yell doesn't seem to flow with the music well (05....but that show had other problems), but in others it's perfect (04, 06). I'd have to see this year's program to say for sure....but I agree that neither the yell nor the Viper fit last year (however, I WAS kinda hoping the cymbal V would make it for finals)

In the past, it's always been a complete break in music to allow for the yell, so I don't think there's a worry there.

I'll agree there are times when the yell doesn't seem to flow with the music well (05....but that show had other problems), but in others it's perfect (04, 06). I'd have to see this year's program to say for sure....but I agree that neither the yell nor the Viper fit last year (however, I WAS kinda hoping the cymbal V would make it for finals)

It's in this year's show.

I hate they yell - I'd much rather hear the corps on the field instead of a bunch of yahoos trying to get on the CDs.

• Like 3

No negative numbers from me. :) I tend to agree with you. I can take it or leave it. I think it fits well and naturally in some shows - worked for me very well in Sheherazade but would have been terrible in Ballet for Martha in my opinion. I don't think it needs to be abandoned, but used sparingly when appropriate rather than forced.

Actually, I can agree with that. I think that's why it bothers me. It feels forced sometimes.

Having said that I haven't seen the show this year yet, so I don't have an opinion for 2011 but I agree with you conceptually.

Honestly, I didn't even think about the "yell" when I saw them in Clovis. In fact, I didn't even think about it until I saw this thread! Didn't ruin the show for me.