Vanguard Yell & Viper

Among the several reasons I kinda wish I would've tried out for SCV is the fact that the yell has to be such a huge hype!

Vanguard Yell & Viper are back in this years show. The yell has been growing since Clovis and is at 10:32 in the show. Viper is at the very end of the show behind the snare line. Hopefully they move it in front of the line which would put them dead center and the focul point on field..

GO SCV!

Do you mean at 10:47? because I think thats a better spot... no one is playing at those points.

Well, I'll go head and say it... I'm one of the few that can do w/o the "yell". It was a nice moment for a couple years (thank God Key didn't leave room for one in Ballet For Martha. It would have totally ruined a gorgeous show) but the novelty has worn off for me. I know there are those out there who live for the yell and are edge just waiting for their moment, but It's just not my cup of tea. I'm glad I heard the show once w/o out it (Clovis, CA), but I'm not so sure I'll be that lucky in Houston.

*gets ready for lots of red negative numbers*

Sadly no... i'm doing it! :tongue:

But I understand where your coming from I really do. And I agree with your point in 09... it wouldn't have fit the show at all... but this year I think it could work

how about you all yell for the corps when they've finished playing and let the rest of us hear their show so we can enjoy it too.

• Like 1

Sadly no... i'm doing it! :tongue:

But I understand where your coming from I really do. And I agree with your point in 09... it wouldn't have fit the show at all... but this year I think it could work

tongue.gif

Well, you may be right. I'll have to listen to the show again but, like I said, I wasn't even thinking about it at Clovis so I didn't miss it.

Here's what I don't like about it and what drives me crazy... it's the people who insist on having the yell in the show even if it doesn't fit. Especially when a break isn't written into the show for one (re: Ballet For Martha). Like Jon was saying, sometimes it just feels forced and it shouldn't. It should work within the show to enhance it, not distract from it. Every year, without fail, I can hear people around me start saying "Here it comes. Here it comes". To me, that's a distraction.

woah...i saw the Viper on a youtube vid of the show...but, i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the yell isn't covering up the awesome bass solo in the spot i think u are talking about....that'd be awful to cover up an SCV bass solo w/ a yell

Pretty sure that's (unfortunately) where it is. There's a cymbal roll during the bass soli, and I guess that's where it's implied to be. Maybe the cymbal roll/bass soli is only there for now and once more people catch onto where the yell is, then they'll be taken out and made into silence?

Pretty sure that's (unfortunately) where it is. There's a cymbal roll during the bass soli, and I guess that's where it's implied to be. Maybe the cymbal roll/bass soli is only there for now and once more people catch onto where the yell is, then they'll be taken out and made into silence?

And that's another reason I don't like it. Someone (the general someone) is always guessing where the yell should be. It's now becoming more important then the show/music that is already written. If a show ever has to be re-written or music removed because of this "yell", I'll be very disappointed. IMO, If it the yell is made over music, then the yell shouldn't be done. PERIOD!

*puts flame retardant suit on*

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 3

Doe it have to be waffles? How about funnel cake?

Here's one of my faves from my SCVC 2004 tour. We had the viper in our show. :smile:

Viper_SCV.jpg

• Like 3