What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

175 members have voted

1. 1. What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

:blink: You didn't like Spiderman 2? It's BY FAR the best of the three (so far) movies. Oh, and STAY AWAY from Green Lantern. Trust me, I run a movie theater and the things I've been hearing about it are AWFUL. Granted, I haven't watched it myself (because of these awful things I've heard.)

Haha.. thanks for the tip!

Spidey 2 was actually okay. I just didnt love it. Spidey 3 was just insulting. lol.

• Like 2

I dunno, Blue Devils 2010 made *me* pretty angry. :w00t::tongue:

Hahah.. nice one! lol.

I actually dug it but i know im a minority around these parts.

• Like 1

I'm late into this discussion and haven't read any of the posts. I voted for show design as the issue, however I think it's two fold. The design this year certainly needs to be addressed but I also think they're getting away from what got them into the top five. Recognizable fan friendly music. I know some like this years music but in my opinion it's not the kind of music you want to listen to over and over again. Certainly not like previous years.

Some have used the word gimmicky to discribe this years show and that pretty much somes up my view.

Crown has been on a roll for the past few years so they're due for a down year. I don't believe they need a show like Rach Star to win a championship, they need shows like the past few that reach all fans and is executed to perfection. That in my opinion is what has held them out of the top spot. They won't acheive that by bringing shows that are dramatically different in style than previous years. Just my opinion.

Flame away.

Ok this thread might be a little random and let me start off saying this:

I'M NOT MAKING THIS THREAD BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE FAITH IN CROWN.

I'm just making this because I was thinking... Crown has been pretty up and coming, they really became the powerhouse they are today in 2008 with their show 'Finis'. In the past past 3 years they have been 4th, 2nd, and 4th. That is a pretty remarkable placement spread and I just really want to know what is this Corp missing that will give them that extra edge to top the rest?

Please discuss and post more options on the poll. I probably forgot something...

Again please do not take this thread the wrong way.

I would guess that the Cavaliers, Cadets, and Blue Devils are holding Crown back right now!

Hahah.. nice one! lol.

I actually dug it but i know im a minority around these parts.

I can appreciate the show, and I actually really like the first half. But after "Laura" (which is incredible, one of the best musical moments of the year) the rest of it just rubs me the wrong way. I tried! Really! :lookaround:

I'm late into this discussion and haven't read any of the posts. I voted for show design as the issue, however I think it's two fold. The design this year certainly needs to be addressed but I also think they're getting away from what got them into the top five. Recognizable fan friendly music. I know some like this years music but in my opinion it's not the kind of music you want to listen to over and over again. Certainly not like previous years.

Some have used the word gimmicky to discribe this years show and that pretty much somes up my view.

Crown has been on a roll for the past few years so they're due for a down year. I don't believe they need a show like Rach Star to win a championship, they need shows like the past few that reach all fans and is executed to perfection. That in my opinion is what has held them out of the top spot. They won't acheive that by bringing shows that are dramatically different in style than previous years. Just my opinion.

Flame away.

Well, I am certainly not going to flame away. You make good points and you are welcome to your opinion, but I do disagree. To me, and from what I saw the past few years, I felt Crown was a great corps but I felt there shows themes were almost too complex. That makes for a difficult sell to the audience. In 2007 and 2008 they were truly fan favorites. In 2009 and 2010 not so much. Great group of performers, but the theme and the overall show and GE just didn't have it. I think what they have done this year is far more like what they did in 07 and 08. Accessible theme, one that plays better on a football field and that does not require any explanation. Yet this year's show also has some complex drill design, music, and a high level of demand. I would not be surprised if they place 3rd, perhaps even pulling a surprise and taking 2nd.

I agree with others that it might be a stretch for anyone to take on the Cavaliers and Cadets, especially once those two shows clean. But a clean Crown can certainly compete with BD. The advantage BD has is that all their performance captions are typically aces across the sheets. Visual performance, brass, percussion, and guard are usually top 2 or 3. So Crown will need their brass to score well (which they should), but they will also need their guard and percussion scores to improve from last year. That's is probably the "kicker." I am pretty sure they will clean the visual...I hope they do.

I love the show, I really do. Not cheesy at all for me. It's funny to me that we complain about wanting entertainment, then some corps gives it to us and we complain. We are very picky people, and I am talking to myself too. :-) However, when I watch them on fan network they simply have the crowd going nuts. I think that is sorely needed right now in drum corps. So thank you, Crown!

• Like 1

If it was show design they definitely wouldn't be finishing in the top 4.

Paint it Black intertwined with Bohemian Rhapsody? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How could you not LOVE that?

I peed a little when I saw a youtube video of their show this year.

Screw rings or medals.

That's a show I can show my friends that think I was a fool for marching corps.

its... COOL!

• Like 3