What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

175 members have voted

1. 1. What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

All the cheese.

+1. 2007 was a huge cheesefest from Crown and by many accounts this year is as well.

• Like 2

I've watched the show a few times in a place that may or may not be on the internet, and while it's clear that Crown has a very talented corps this year, I just feel like the show isn't all that exciting. I don't know if it's the cheese-factor or the arrangements (more on that in a minute), but there's just something keeping this show from connecting with me in the same way that their past shows have.

In regards to the arrangements, I will say that I do really like the "Eruption" section. The ballad is nice, too. However, the closer feels like it's just technical for the sake of being technical...though, I suppose when you have a talent pool like they do, why not show off a little?

I mean, yes, a lot of this is just personal taste and I'm sure many people will disagree, but I just feel like Crown needs to do something different with the design so that the potential for exciting moments that I know is there will really be able to shine...but it's probably too late for anything like that to change. I've been a big fan of Crown's shows since '07 (I liked '05, too), but this one just kinda falls flat for me.

Now, where's my flame retardant suit?

• Like 2

I think Crown's show has very good musical arrangements, and their brass played them very well - that was at the very first two shows in Texas. Didn't get the best look at their visual, but from a music standpoint, I thought they did well. So if they are going to falter from taking a medal this year, I think it will be visual design holding them back, because I can't see them faltering from music.

Lol. So if we pare this down to nuts and bolts:

The same statement can be made about "Ninja Turtles on Stilts" or "Brass Twirling Shiny Sticks Badly" or "Konnex Cubes 101" or "Falling From Scaffolding".

It statements like these that turn me off when it comes to the Crown honks. You always have to take cheap shots at other corps in a attempt to defend your corps. You should really wait until crown gets one championship ring before taking shots at corps that have several championships under their belt. Crown is a miss for me this year, and they have been one of my favorite corps over the past 5 years. This year just doesn't hold my interest; rock and roll is a tough genre for a drum corps to pull off.

• Like 2

It statements like these that turn me off when it comes to the Crown honks. You always have to take cheap shots at other corps in a attempt to defend your corps. You should really wait until crown gets one championship ring before taking shots at corps that have several championships under their belt. Crown is a miss for me this year, and they have been one of my favorite corps over the past 5 years. This year just doesn't hold my interest; rock and roll is a tough genre for a drum corps to pull off.

Wow -- just a bit thin-skinned aren't we. Those were not 'cheap shots' but gentle pokes and served to illustrate that virtually any marching band..err...drum corps show is really easy to call trite, silly or just plain stupid. People tend to get blinders to the activity and some take themselves just a bit too seriously.

Nice try.

• Like 1

I've watched the show a few times in a place that may or may not be on the internet, and while it's clear that Crown has a very talented corps this year, I just feel like the show isn't all that exciting. I don't know if it's the cheese-factor or the arrangements (more on that in a minute), but there's just something keeping this show from connecting with me in the same way that their past shows have.

In regards to the arrangements, I will say that I do really like the "Eruption" section. The ballad is nice, too. However, the closer feels like it's just technical for the sake of being technical...though, I suppose when you have a talent pool like they do, why not show off a little?

I mean, yes, a lot of this is just personal taste and I'm sure many people will disagree, but I just feel like Crown needs to do something different with the design so that the potential for exciting moments that I know is there will really be able to shine...but it's probably too late for anything like that to change. I've been a big fan of Crown's shows since '07 (I liked '05, too), but this one just kinda falls flat for me.

Now, where's my flame retardant suit?

Cowabunga dude!

I have no problems with "personal taste" . My point was that if you're gonna trot out "bad design" you better start talking about horizontal and vertical orchestration, continuity, staging, yadda yadda yadda . Your post is an excellent example of clearly delineating opinion as such.

As for the closer, I would like to hear a last dip into rock for closure (although technically the Emerson kind of bridges the two genres). There's a lot of unused BohRhap they haven't touched -- maybe a short return to that? To me at least -- it seems clear there's more to come.

Edited by corpsband

Wow -- just a bit thin-skinned aren't we. Those were not 'cheap shots' but gentle pokes and served to illustrate that virtually any marching band..err...drum corps show is really easy to call trite, silly or just plain stupid. People tend to get blinders to the activity and some take themselves just a bit too seriously.

Nice try.

Actually, I'm not thin-skinned; I would never have survived as a Cadets fan if I was. I just feel that the "gentle pokes," as you put it, are not necessary to defend your corps

• Like 2

Actually, I'm not thin-skinned; I would never have survived as a Cadets fan if I was. I just feel that the "gentle pokes," as you put it, are not necessary to defend your corps

You have to "survive" to be a fan? Since when?

They weren't about "defending my corps". They were mild reminders that it's pathetically easy to "make fun" of any drum corps show. If your quote had not removed the line immediately above the one you find so objectionable, I think that's really clear. Even the GP graciously agreed.

Taking stuff out-of-context makes it really easy to accuse someone of being insulting and disrespectful (and then try to paint an entire fan-base with the same brush). blink.gif

You have to "survive" to be a fan? Since when?

Go back and look at the many kind comments that people posted about the Cadets on this forum from, say, 2005 forward. 2008 was a particularly warm-hearted and insightful colloquy on the merits of their design choices!

Cadets definitely are the lifetime leader at DCP abuse, although BD was closing quick during the last two years.