Southwestern Championship

Percussion

BD 19

Cavies 18.9

Cadets 18.7

Crown 18.5

WTH? What happened that SCV Percussion is not in the thick of things. Are they being dumped on in scores due in part to the bigger picture with the corps? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Anyone know if SCV's GE MUSIC broke the top 12 barrier? Just curious....

Check out the Scouts performance stream from Minneapolis, The closer is muted and the copyright disclaimer is at the bottom.

It was on in the stream, but must be without audio for any "recording".

WTH? What happened that SCV Percussion is not in the thick of things. Are they being dumped on in scores due in part to the bigger picture with the corps? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I doubt it, Regiment won percussion last season with the corps in 6th.

My opinion for what it's worth... I think SCV started the season cleaner than the rest but their book isn't as hard as their rivals. As the other corps become cleaner, their harder books are taking them above SCV. I'm sure somebody will tell me otherwise...

Watching through cause I couldn't before I logged on to say this. The Cavaliers are absolutely amazing. One of my favorite parts is the big ballad moment towards the end of the show, where the horns are in the arc. Love it. Can't wait to see it live at Murf.

Yes, the Nature Boy at the end is just stunning. From when make that hit all the way through the release, it's just stunning. When they release I am just breathless...

• Like 1

If I could choose my top 4... 1 Crown 2 Cavies 3 Cadets 3 BD

but because this is so predicable and political..this is my prediction:

1Cavies 2BD 3 Cadets 4 Crown.

funny that you got red marked for being right!

It was on in the stream, but must be without audio for any "recording".

That's sad, because it's not only the highlight of their show, but one of the highlights from this season. Is there any hope of getting this resolved in time for the DVDs? :unhappy:

The answer is they are a private organization. They're not excluding anyone.

I'm not questioning their right to do so. I support their right to do so. Just saying, I was disappointed by that decision.

The show is called "Juliet". There's no Romeo role in the guard. Would you like to see a young man in a maroon dress? Yeah, neither would I.

I understand the theme. Hey, I even think it worked out really well for them. I think it's a little silly to suggest that they couldn't have pulled it off without excluding men from the guard. It's kind of like how I feel about the electronics in Crown's show. In some ways that show is built on the ability to use a piano synth, and they execute the hell out of it, and it's well-integrated into the show, and they way they use it works great with the brass, etc. They are doing the electronics thing well. I'd still prefer to see what they could do without the synths.

Phantom is one of my favorite shows this year. Definitely my favorite music. Probably my favorite guard. It's complicated.

It lacks the personality that real instrument possesses. Electronic drum sets are the same way; Roland has some samples that you listen to and think "hm, that sounds pretty accurate", but once you start playing, your ear can tell that yes, it sounds like you're playing an electronic drum set. It lacks the imperfections and variations that make a real acoustic instrument SOUND like a real instrument.

Add in the fact that it's coming through some mid-grade speakers rather than being hear naturally, or with minimal and transparent amplification, and you add another layer of falsity that the ear picks up.

:worthy: YES! This is definitely more noticeable on electronic drums, but even on the synth, every 62% pressure hit on the note sounds exactly the same, every time it's played. It's hard for me to describe, but there really is a lot of variation in a real piano sound, and it changes with what other notes are struck at the same time, or already held down and when they're released and how exactly you use the sustain pedal. How it interacts with the room is also a huge part of the sound. No synth will every capture all of that subtlety.

funny that you got red marked for being right!

oh yeah. Because on dCP, "if MY corps wins, the system works.... but if MY corps LOSES, its because of BS politics and bad judging.". lol

never fails!

• Like 5