The Joy of Parades

windjammers76.jpg

Port Washington Windjammers parade in downpour.

I (for the most part) actually enjoyed parades. Drum corps cranked up the crowds in ways HS bands could not touch, the reactions were almost always boisterously favorable.

And then there were the ones like the photo above - either completely drenched or overwhelmingly hot.

Ah well, I do still love a parade. :tongue:

We were in a parade once when a circus was in town. If you think horses are bad, try marching behind an elephant...

ugh... the elephant must have liked your music playing however. If it didn't, and that big nosed sucker took off and ran back wild at you, you and and that big beast might be in the Big Circus in the sky today.

Edited by BRASSO

Wait. I'm confused. You used the word "joy" and "parades" in the same phrase.

Ok, I kid! I actually did like parades. The audiences were always happy and enjoying what was happening on the street.

I was experiencing a moment of weakness. :rolleyes:

Ok, I kid! I actually did like parades. The audiences were always happy and enjoying what was happening on the street.

Many relatively affluent and rather large communities never have parades in their town. I always thought it was these communities resident's loss to not have music played on their town or city streets in a parade every so often.

Edited by BRASSO

I have marched 3 parades in the last 3 weekends with the bagpipe band I play with. I must be sick because I love to do it.

True enough most members of the band are less than thrilled, especially the bagpipers in Cripple Creek who must play bagpipes at almost 10000 feet above sea level, but for all the reason you mention in your article they are important events. Money, public exposure and community support are important. And yes there are plenty of eyes-left moments. Sometimes for the wrong reasons too!

From my drum corp days I remember one parade in particular. Our corps (the Florida Vanguards) didnt have the big fancy food trucks (or any food truck) so we ate a lot of fast food, etc, and the occasional meal scrapped together by volunteers that were doing way too much already.

We had a show and parade in Mendota Illinois for the Sweet Corn Festival. The festival gave away fresh cooked sweet corn (dipped in glorious vats of melted butter and free flowing salt that would make my cardiologist cringe) to all comers and that was particularly welcome to us starving kids! Still is in my mind of how good sweet corn should taste!

Parades suck....that is all!

• Like 1

The real joy comes from hearing about this sort of thing (posted today on Crown's FB page):

I was with my children at the Wakefield, MA parade today. The drumline stopped right in front of us, and one of the snare drummers let my 10 year old son (A drummer himself) play a bit on his drum, then he LET HIM KEEP THE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!! We are from Reading, MA, where you practiced on Friday, and he follows you and keeps track of your scores, shows, etc. We also saw you Friday night.... Whoever that drummer is, he made my little-man's YEAR!!!!!!! That is the equivalent to a major league baseball player handing him a baseball.... Thank you so much, and come back to Reading ANY TIME!!!!!!!! We would love to have you!!! (I am also on the executive board of the Reading High School Band) Thanks again!!!!!!
  • Like 2

The real joy comes from hearing about this sort of thing (posted today on Crown's FB page):

It takes so little to make someone's day. It's wonderful to hear stories like this.