Best 4th Place Show

Best 4th Place Show  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these was the greatest 4th place show?

• 2000: Santa Clara Vanguard - "The Age of Reverance"
    • 2001: Santa Clara Vanguard - "New Era Metropolis"
    • 2002: Santa Clara Vanguard - "Sound, Shape, and Color"
    • 2003: Phantom Regiment - "Harmonic Journey"
    • 2004: The Cadets - "Living With The Past"
    • 2005: Blue Devils - "Dance Derby of the Century"
    • 2006: Bluecoats - "Connexus"
    • 2007: Phantom Regiment - "On Air"
    • 2008: Carolina Crown - "Finis"
    • 2009: The Cavaliers - "The Great Divide"
    • 2010: Carolina Crown - "A Second Chance"

Really tough call between 00 SCV, 03 Phantom, and 07 Phantom (with 02 SCV and 10 Crown as honorable mentions). Eventually I determined 03 Phantom was just a bit better than 07 Phantom, and then flipped a coin between 00 SCV and 03 Phantom. 2003 Phantom won the coin toss. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, this series of polls seems to be "who remembers which show the best". Because I KNOW that if corresponding videos were with each of these polls, the results wouldn't be so much in favor of the recent years.

I'm with you on that one. I don't think it's that the quality has gotten that much higher in the last two years, but I think it's that people remember those shows more, and are more likely to vote for them. Maybe in five years, if they do this poll again, we'll see the winners of this poll left behind to more recent shows, but I'd still like to see more of the earlier decade get recognized.

I see this all the time in film polls, where the public always undervalues older titles (they also all but ignore foreign-language films). Thank goodness for critics, whose writings pointed me to such beautiful works as Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali (1955), Robert Bresson's Un condamné à mort s'est échappé (1956), and Yasujiro Ozu's Banshun (1949). I'd be curious to see a judges' poll of the best shows in drum corps history.

This was a particularly tough poll. I voted for "Harmonic Journey", but not without a pang of regret for "New Era Metropolis", "The Age of Reverence", "On Air", and "Finis".

SCV 2000 is by far one of my all time favorite shows. I've seen it hundreds of times and it never gets old. It's so perfectly designed and the corps poured their hearts into the performance every time. It was one of the shows I saw at my very first live drum corps show and it BLEW MY MIND. lol. The release at the end of Adagio is something no one can understand unless they heard it in person :o)

SCV 2000 is by far one of my all time favorite shows. I've seen it hundreds of times and it never gets old. It's so perfectly designed and the corps poured their hearts into the performance every time. It was one of the shows I saw at my very first live drum corps show and it BLEW MY MIND. lol. The release at the end of Adagio is something no one can understand unless they heard it in person :o)

I hate the lady who yelled "KRYSTALLLLL!!!!" during adagio...lol

Tough call. In order for me:

'03 Phantom

'08 Finis

'00 SCV

Quick question for everyone, what is it about Phantom '03 that makes it a consistent favorite? It is a good show, but there were a lot of problems in that Finals run, I mean, near-collisions in the drill. What really made that show so special?

Quick question for everyone, what is it about Phantom '03 that makes it a consistent favorite? It is a good show, but there were a lot of problems in that Finals run, I mean, near-collisions in the drill. What really made that show so special?

I also feel a lot of the show was bland. Except for the opener and one of the best closers ever.

No contest here for me: PR 03.