Salt Lake City Slickers

The whole thing is so weird. I'm not saying fixed here.. just too weird for words.

Some Corps are bedraggled, doing 4 or 5 nite shows in a row, no practice time, and on that 5th nite they get a big bump in score over the nite before. ( not talking about BK here, just in general, Wes ) Another Corps might get ample time over a 4 day period to clean their show and get rested. Logically, one would assume that in the next show... after being off and practicing.. the next show would get a decent bump in score ( or spread ) for such a Corps. But mysteriously their score sometimes is either flat lined, or sometimes even goes down from a show 4 days earlier. I've followed this activity for years and years. I've noticed this phenomema happen a hundred times over the years... with dozen of Corps too. It is just too weird for words to explain it in any coherent, rational way. I 've just learned to chuckle at it all really.

I think especially early/mid season corps use those 3-4 days to add to their show/change what's needed. Thus maybe the cleaning end isn't as polished as one might expect for such a span. With that said, you're right, it is odd how the time doesn't seem to make a difference in many cases! I am always floored at how momentum seems to build for a corps then just flatline without cause or warning while another will make a dramatic jump.... go figure!!

Wes P

Wow. 2 and 2.6 points in one night! I wanna know how it's possible to clean that much THAT quickly! lol One point swings generally fairly reasonable, but...wow.

Don't have much practice time ? : score gets big jump

Have practice time and clean lots of stuff ? : score doesn't go up.

It is what it is.

Don't try to make sense of it, or else the lesson would be,.." don't practice ".

Haha !

Edited by BRASSO

Don't have much practice time ? : score gets big jump

Have practice time and clean lots of stuff ? : score doesn't go up.

It is what it is.

Don't try to make sense of it, or else the lesson would be,.." don't practice ".

Haha !

Evidently. lol That, or it just seems judges are afraid to go out on a limb and try to give their subjectively "accurate" assessment in the first 2 weeks. There will be random anomalies, but more and more that seems to hold true. Weird.

I think especially early/mid season corps use those 3-4 days to add to their show/change what's needed. Thus maybe the cleaning end isn't as polished as one might expect for such a span. With that said, you're right, it is odd how the time doesn't seem to make a difference in many cases! I am always floored at how momentum seems to build for a corps then just flatline without cause or warning while another will make a dramatic jump.... go figure!!

Wes P

Academy.. They had been out for awhile last year competing and had some decent scores in the mix of Corps. They then were off for a few days. They came back and their score plummeted from the last show.This is not in June either where judges are getting their first or 2nd read on the Corps. This was July. For example

Academy :

7/16/ 2010.... 79.200

7/22/ 2010.....78.100

7/26/ 2010.....77.500

Like I said, I can find LOTS of examples of too weird for words scores where apparently one would think the marchers got worse with ample practice time.

Edited by BRASSO

Quick review of what I saw tonight

Gold--louder than expected. Good show, with good moments.

Revolution--without knowing the title of the show, i would never have guessed what was going on. At all. They have some talent, and they have a fun design bu they literally ran out of gas. Heat? elevation? Who knows.

Cascades--LIKE. I liked the idea of pandora's box. First solid sounding hornline from section to section of the whole night. Still had a tough time communicating all the way up to the audience. Not the best Cascades drum line i have seen. I do like the new Uni's, though i wonder if they just bought them from Madison a few years ago?.... The bright green plume reminded me of another group from Seattle--the MLS Seattle Sounders. Bright Martian Green. They were great. I thought they should be in the 68 point range honestly.

Academy--It was like Tuxedo's meet the 2008 Crossmen or something. I don't know about those uni's, but the whole corps was HOT tonight. Drumline was superb, brass was full, and they have a GREAT design! They have to get into finals this year! Loved it! This was the corps that got all of the drum corps virgins that I brought with me tonight all hot and bothered....they were EXCELLENT!!!

INT--same ole story.

BK--EASILY ACCESSIBLE. They love their show, and they love getting applause. The guard uni's came straight from a Robin Hood movie. The drumline was on, the pit was great and holy 16 contras and fat low brass sound!!!! I had to slap myself silly when I realized that they had a fat low brass sound and they WERE NOT USING A SYNTH!!!

Unless I am blind. But I didn't see it. The release in that ballad was just awesome. It is impossible to NOT love this show! I don't care what it places, they are on top for simply being drum corps to me. Straight forward music, no Synth, and pure passion. Everyone in the group of 20 fans tonight agreed that BK was incredible.Drill seemed pretty easy compared to Cadets, phantom and BD, but who cares? They were great!

Cadets-Love the show. Love the design. Love the music but I am completely over the over use of the synthesizer. Don't worry Phantom and BD are getting the same remarks. It totally ruins these shows for me. For all of the power and passion and work that the Cadets put into their show, to just cover up mistakes, or lack of low brass power with a synth drives me bonkers. Not to mention that the strings sound coming out of the speakers sounds much like the soundtrack to The princess Bride. On one portion of the show where the timpani is supposed to have the classic quarter note high low entrance to the long roll finishing the peace, you couldn't hear it at all. SYNTH.

I hate the synths. I can deal with the amped pit (though i haven't really seen a change in technique that was a big reason to allow the amps), but the low bass synth has got to go. I can even deal with some voice sampling in there...but covering up your hornline just sucks.

I loved everything else about the cadets--tonight's champion of course. I thought of a question for the drumline though--with all of the split parts, would it be easier to clean two small drumlines, or one big drumline? They deserved the win tonight.

Phantom--SO MUCH BETTER THAN ON THE MOVIE SCREEN. Magical. They all have so much musicianship. I love the guard uniforms and I welcome a classic PR guard (all female--what do you suppose it was like for the male CG vets form last year to find out they were already cut when the show was designed? That would be a great episode of banished beyond...) I totally appreciate all of the hard work and effort that they put into this show. However, the synth has got to go. Not so much the bass notes, but again the princess bride string sounds are really annoying and from a design standpoint, they just don't fit. But who is the judge of that? I don't know, if it works for them, it works. I personally think it ruins the classical Phantom sound that is always sound triumphant and strong.

BD--Loud. I loved the jamming part on say a little prayer. OTher than that, it was a very well executed BD show that I really won't remember tomorrow. Somehow they can take the boring things like elevator music and make it awesome. But seriously? The joke is over, just play the 95 show again. or 96, 97, even 98 to rub it in phantom's face with Juliet. It just did not grab me emotionally.

Encore by BK was great and I was able to get a closer look at no synths. The release in the ballad was chubb-er-ific.

Probably too late in the season, but the synths have got to go. Just my opinion though.

Have a good night, ya'll!

• Like 5

Yeah just crazy!!! What's going to be very interesting is how the scores will change when the full panel is in effect for everyone! Not having Brass and Guard is huge. Add the performance vis and it's really very different! The next fee weeks should provide some clarity, but you're right inevitably something will happen that's unexpected and can't be explained!!

Great Review Cwillpayne!!

............and here come the Regiment!!!!! SUTA!!!!!

Quick review of what I saw tonight

Gold--louder than expected. Good show, with good moments.

Revolution--without knowing the title of the show, i would never have guessed what was going on. At all. They have some talent, and they have a fun design bu they literally ran out of gas. Heat? elevation? Who knows.

Cascades--LIKE. I liked the idea of pandora's box. First solid sounding hornline from section to section of the whole night. Still had a tough time communicating all the way up to the audience. Not the best Cascades drum line i have seen. I do like the new Uni's, though i wonder if they just bought them from Madison a few years ago?.... The bright green plume reminded me of another group from Seattle--the MLS Seattle Sounders. Bright Martian Green. They were great. I thought they should be in the 68 point range honestly.

Academy--It was like Tuxedo's meet the 2008 Crossmen or something. I don't know about those uni's, but the whole corps was HOT tonight. Drumline was superb, brass was full, and they have a GREAT design! They have to get into finals this year! Loved it! This was the corps that got all of the drum corps virgins that I brought with me tonight all hot and bothered....they were EXCELLENT!!!

INT--same ole story.

BK--EASILY ACCESSIBLE. They love their show, and they love getting applause. The guard uni's came straight from a Robin Hood movie. The drumline was on, the pit was great and holy 16 contras and fat low brass sound!!!! I had to slap myself silly when I realized that they had a fat low brass sound and they WERE NOT USING A SYNTH!!!

Unless I am blind. But I didn't see it. The release in that ballad was just awesome. It is impossible to NOT love this show! I don't care what it places, they are on top for simply being drum corps to me. Straight forward music, no Synth, and pure passion. Everyone in the group of 20 fans tonight agreed that BK was incredible.Drill seemed pretty easy compared to Cadets, phantom and BD, but who cares? They were great!

Cadets-Love the show. Love the design. Love the music but I am completely over the over use of the synthesizer. Don't worry Phantom and BD are getting the same remarks. It totally ruins these shows for me. For all of the power and passion and work that the Cadets put into their show, to just cover up mistakes, or lack of low brass power with a synth drives me bonkers. Not to mention that the strings sound coming out of the speakers sounds much like the soundtrack to The princess Bride. On one portion of the show where the timpani is supposed to have the classic quarter note high low entrance to the long roll finishing the peace, you couldn't hear it at all. SYNTH.

I hate the synths. I can deal with the amped pit (though i haven't really seen a change in technique that was a big reason to allow the amps), but the low bass synth has got to go. I can even deal with some voice sampling in there...but covering up your hornline just sucks.

I loved everything else about the cadets--tonight's champion of course. I thought of a question for the drumline though--with all of the split parts, would it be easier to clean two small drumlines, or one big drumline? They deserved the win tonight.

Phantom--SO MUCH BETTER THAN ON THE MOVIE SCREEN. Magical. They all have so much musicianship. I love the guard uniforms and I welcome a classic PR guard (all female--what do you suppose it was like for the male CG vets form last year to find out they were already cut when the show was designed? That would be a great episode of banished beyond...) I totally appreciate all of the hard work and effort that they put into this show. However, the synth has got to go. Not so much the bass notes, but again the princess bride string sounds are really annoying and from a design standpoint, they just don't fit. But who is the judge of that? I don't know, if it works for them, it works. I personally think it ruins the classical Phantom sound that is always sound triumphant and strong.

BD--Loud. I loved the jamming part on say a little prayer. OTher than that, it was a very well executed BD show that I really won't remember tomorrow. Somehow they can take the boring things like elevator music and make it awesome. But seriously? The joke is over, just play the 95 show again. or 96, 97, even 98 to rub it in phantom's face with Juliet. It just did not grab me emotionally.

Encore by BK was great and I was able to get a closer look at no synths. The release in the ballad was chubb-er-ific.

Probably too late in the season, but the synths have got to go. Just my opinion though.

Have a good night, ya'll!

...so true. I shot the Walnut show the other nite and was absolutely blown away by Phantom's synth stuff at track level...AND, mind you, getting knocked out by typical Phantom low brass! The juxtaposition got to me enough to carp at a couple of Phantom staffers, like as in, "...what are you guys thinking? You mean THAT brass line ain't enough...you gotta be sh*ttin' me!" They smiled at the old dude, but there was shame there, I gotta tell ya...

cg

Yeah just crazy!!! What's going to be very interesting is how the scores will change when the full panel is in effect for everyone! Not having Brass and Guard is huge. Add the performance vis and it's really very different! The next fee weeks should provide some clarity, but you're right inevitably something will happen that's unexpected and can't be explained!!

Wasn't full panel in effect as of the 5th?