Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

Why is this WHOLE THREAD about staff's reaction to their shows at performances? I thought this was supposed to be a more broad discussion of "staff behavior". Really? 15 pages of "staff going crazy during performances"? How about some other issues? I'll leave out examples. Let's see if we are smart enough to find something new to add to this discussion.

It's because it's the part of the topic that seems to be the biggest issue. It was brought up a while back and that's what we decided to rant about. If you have any other concerns about staff behavior in another environment, feel free to chime in.

• Like 1

I think the over yelling should go for the audience members as well. At the 2007 championships I heard quite the number of audience members yelling inappropriate comments at the Cadets. I remember being quite taken back by this. These people were yelling at hard working, amazing kids and what turned out to be a really good drum corps!

You REALLY think they are yelling at the kids ?

Seriously ? :shutup:

• Like 3

It's not yelling at the kids. Take BD for example, I'm not a huge fan of their shows, in fact I hated 2009. But that doesn't mean I hate my buddy Mike because he marched the show.

People yell because they don't like the design of the show, not because little Jimmy decided he was going to march The Cadets.

• Like 1

...People yell because they don't like the design of the show, not because little Jimmy decided he was going to march The Cadets.

So if I don't like ... say .... the Oregon Crusaders show this year, it would be okay for me to shout out any bile that rises in my throat?

This thread is - or should be - about what's appropriate behavior in the stands. It's not appropriate for staff to interrupt the enjoyment of those around them with personal and insider expressions no matter how invested and passionate they may be. The same goes for fans. Fans are there observe the performance. They shouldn't participate in a manner that is inappropriate. Fans, like staff, are entitled to their opinions and to express them to those who want to hear them. That doesn't include the entire stadium. It doesn't.

HH

• Like 1

It's a STADIUM, not a concert hall. There should be more noise, more fan and staff reaction... louder and more animated the better. If you can't even hear the show because people are so ###### excited about it... that's a fantastic problem to have.

When Lincoln Center starts selling hot dogs down the aisles, drum corps fans and staff can start to behave like they're at the ballet.

Until then... play ball.

if it is noisy at your seat because the crowd is going crazy, that is fine. It is not fine if it is noisy at your seat because a staff member is being obnoxious.

I have attended a lot of shows over the years, but I cannot recall fans disrupting a performance like corps staff have done. Last year I had the unfortunate experience of having 3 members of the Cadets staff sit on the steps right next to me. They displayed unbelievably obnoxious behavior and made the Cadets show impossible to watch. They continually hollered and stomped their feet, gave each other high-fives, moved around alternating between standing and sitting, and talked loudly when they were not hollering. Based upon that experience, I think corps staff should not be allowed into the stands while their corps is performing -- they should be limited to the field. Vic Russell

• Like 1

One of the things I hate about the oil dome is how it kills the crowd who is rather quite and detached from the shows

I like noisy crowds in football stadiums

I like passion

I hate people that scream or even whispers quietly if I disagree with what they are saying but I’m cool if I agree with them

I hate whining at shows, you’re in a football stadium complaining about a line at the concession stand during INT and then you complain about the price of food? Welcome to a closed market and the big city, suck it up. And then those people never tip, they stand there waiting for their quarter back

or when their friends see them in line and add to their order....hate that, it's like a cut but not but it really is a cut

So if I don't like ... say .... the Oregon Crusaders show this year, it would be okay for me to shout out any bile that rises in my throat?

This thread is - or should be - about what's appropriate behavior in the stands. It's not appropriate for staff to interrupt the enjoyment of those around them with personal and insider expressions no matter how invested and passionate they may be. The same goes for fans. Fans are there observe the performance. They shouldn't participate in a manner that is inappropriate. Fans, like staff, are entitled to their opinions and to express them to those who want to hear them. That doesn't include the entire stadium. It doesn't.

HH

I've never heard yelling coming my way, so I'm not sure how I'd react. People have their own opinions, and I respect that.

It sounds to me [at least the impression I get from reading this, correct me if I'm wrong] is that we're supposed to control our emotions and not be excited about the show. What you posted seems almost one dimensional, like a symphony concert. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have attended a lot of shows over the years, but I cannot recall fans disrupting a performance like corps staff have done. Last year I had the unfortunate experience of having 3 members of the Cadets staff sit on the steps right next to me. They displayed unbelievably obnoxious behavior and made the Cadets show impossible to watch. They continually hollered and stomped their feet, gave each other high-fives, moved around alternating between standing and sitting, and talked loudly when they were not hollering. Based upon that experience, I think corps staff should not be allowed into the stands while their corps is performing -- they should be limited to the field. Vic Russell

So it was a bad experience because their corps was performing well?

So it was a bad experience because their corps was performing well?

No, it was a bad experience because the staff were acting like jack #####. :thumbdown:

BTW, Seen cadets several times this year, without any of the aforementioned behavior by staff.

Edited by ajwdad

No, it was a bad experience because the staff were acting like jack #####. :thumbdown:

BTW, Seen cadets several times this year, without any of the aforementioned behavior by staff.

I guess I don't see the difference between the two. Maybe what we need to discuss is the difference between being excited for your corps and acting like a jack###