Blue Devils 2011 show is elevator music?

As BD told us in 2008, an artist is constantly risking absurdity in their pursuit of art. I believe that Kenton and thusly, the BD with City of Glass, found absurdity as opposed to art.

I like BD’s music this year but heard they changed it so we’ll see if I still like it...they opener did start off all BD 2009 but heard that's been changed

It’s their visual that seem rutted – kind of like the Cavies got pretty boring being too Cavie – so much of their drill and many of their ideas I have seen them do before

• Like 1

No -- you're citing from a different source. I'd have to go dig up that the attribution again. But I wasn't editing material to spin the interpretation. The source said pretty much said he'd never made up his mind about COG.

Well duh...you didn't attribute a source, so how could I know? Both your and my quotations are from the same interview. The quote you used was the answer to the followup question for what I posted. I didn't allege that you edited to spin things, I just wanted to give it some context. As for Kenton, he continued to use Graettinger's charts beyond COG. If he truly thought his stuff was so lousy, I doubt he'd continue to use him.

Hey, bottom line is that COG was very controversial music...and as we can easily see that this persists even today. I just find it laughable that people attribute the word "crap" to a 12 minute show based on what? A minute and a half of difficult listening? Would I put COG on my iPod and listen to it often? Hell no. There are many other things I'd rather listen to. It doesn't diminish the validity of the music or the musicians. Would Alex be willing to approach Kenton or Graettinger and tell them their work was crap? Or for that matter, Wayne or anyone around BD? Always easy to talk tough on the internet. Pixels are cheap, just like the talk. In closing, a couple of apropos quotations:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

"Haters are like crickets. Crickets make a lot of noise, you hear it but you can't see them. Then when you walk right past them, they're quiet"

• Like 1

Edited by AlexL

i just think it's funny that some of the same people who complained about COG are now complaining about BB :-)

It is a puzzlement! :huh:

Or for that matter, Wayne or anyone around BD? Always easy to talk tough on the internet.

I dont exactly post anonymously. I link my fb, lol. Its not like im hiding behind the anonymity of a screen name. Anyone that wants to look me up can. (And a couple hyper-sensitive fans from a couple corps have done just that over the years)

If i were to meet them in person, would i bring it up first thing in conversation that i hated their 2010 show? Probably not. But if they asked me my opinion? #### right id give my opinion. Theyre big boys, they can take criticism. And fact is, year after year, regardless of what i think of their design, they do get their members to perform those designs at a top level. That i will give them credit for, and is quite an accomplishment.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1

When I first heard BD was doing Burt Bacharach, I thought uh-oh, this could be a mistake. When I first saw them .....

I disagree and here's why. First off, I don't think BD is boring. I find their show quite entertaining and enlightening, especially after the revival of Promises. I'm glad they took on the great music of Burt Bacharach, and lets face it; Nobody could have done more justice to the music of Bacharach then BD. Think about all the young people participating in drum corps this summer, and all the band kids, who will now have a clue about Burt Bacharach. That opening hit of a House is Not a Home, .... well lets just say I have visions of Lulu, Shirley Bassey, and Cheno. (Who went to Broken Arrow BTW) It's a moment. Is it possible that after two titles, BD just decided to a show that needed to be done? Thank you BD for wonderful program.

Edited by oldtimedrummer
  • Like 3

here is a different take on the debate about the BD 2010 and why some may like it and some may not.

I studied music in college and got a degree in music education. While attending the university I played and listened to a lot of music that was more bizarre and difficult to listen to than the BD 2010 show....some of these pieces I enjoyed and some I didn't. Even a piece I performed for my senior recital to this day makes me wonder what the composer was thinking. So I am just curious, if a person has been more exposed to music that is very "out there" would that person be more likely to enjoy and appreciate the 2010 BD music?

• Like 1