Tonight, I witnessed what is wrong with drum corps...

WHY didn't you go help him instead of just gasping with the rest of the audience looking for someone ELSE to help?

I actually tried to. But MR. Cavalier fan (who weighed about 500 pounds and breathed thru his nose so loudly it covered up other corps ballads) wouldn't get out of the way fast enough.

• Like 3

I actually tried to. But MR. Cavalier fan (who weighed about 500 pounds and breathed thru his nose so loudly it covered up other corps ballads) wouldn't get out of the way fast enough.

Are you saying all Cavalier fans are fat and should be mouth breathers? :devil: :devil: :ph34r:

• Like 1

I am not going to get into the debates that ensued as this topic broke to pieces. However, General is right. There was no excuse for the staff at field level not to address the issue, even if it means turning the amps off. The kids are ready to step off, and there is something to be said about being mentally prepared for step off, only to have to wait on the line for an amp malfunction.

Are you saying all Cavalier fans are fat and should be mouth breathers? :devil: :devil: :ph34r:

No. I'm just saying this one was.

Funny thing was, he was also on his cell phone, taking pictures and hitting refresh on DCP. I'm not kidding about any of this (person who negatived me because of the big cavalier fan).

His "splooie" shirt was covered in stains and he was wearing a DCI Championship ring.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 1

When something like this happens it is unfortunate. Some have already commented on protocol, and that is the ultimate point. There must be protocol, assigned by the corps director. Each staff member must know their role at a perofrmance, just the way they know their role when teaching or cleaning the music and drill.

The way some groups do this, and we did something similar with competitive band (back when I did that sort of thing), is to have the corps athletic trainer and staff nurse always on hand at the performances. They are to react to such injuries. Now, of course, all DCI shows have an ambulence and two medics on hand for something truly serious.

I didn't see the incident, so I will refrain from pointing fingers at any corps, and certainly at Cascades.

You know, we all derided and chastized George Hopkins for taking his corps off the field at semi-finals in 2007 (hash gate), but he doesn't fear that sort of backlash, he knows his job and reacts when he feels his kids are threatened in any way. This is what you want.

• Like 1

What was going on with the Medic crews during all this?

There were none! No ambulance, no EMTs, nothing.

The fact DCI doesn't require this, or some sort of protocol on injuries is very troubling.

That and who ever the Hades was running/sponsoring the show....

Scarey and idiotic are the first two words that come to mind.... Not only for the corps memebrs but people in the stands. Just seen too much bad and fatal stuff over the years.

Let me throw another wrench in to the conversation:

I don't necessarily agree that the ones at the soundboard were in the wrong. We've all experienced tunnel vision, but I wasn't there, so my opinion on the matter is minimal.

What I believe could have been a better argument is where are the preventative actions in the first place? The facts are lined up in plain sight for anyone to see - it's hot, you're moving a lot, wearing a full uniform. I remember, when we were in Texas especially, that we were constantly being told to "drink water, drink water, drink water, and drink some more water." And it's impossible to place blame here, everyone knows that you need to drink water in high heat, but no one knows which party was the one that neglected their duties - the staff telling them to drink enough, or the member ignoring the orders.

I'm just saying, if the preparation were better, then this topic would never have been started. Not trying to take away from the OP, I just think this goes under a larger umbrella of "drum corps safety and hydration." Maybe I'm blowing things way out of proportion here.