Boston 2011 and Cadets 1989

The show announcer? I'm pretty sure they are overage too.

Heh. But what happens when a high toss goes astray on a windy day, or a marcher slips on a wet field? Particularly if it happens to one corps but not another on the same day? (I think the wind and rain --Maria and Tess-- are likewise overage.) If there is no risk of a lower score when a big effect fails, there should be no reward when it works. Likewise with the openers.

Back to the original topic: is Boston's opener intentionally meant to evoke the Cadets' opener? Or is it just a coincidence? Did the designers deliberately not look at that show or the Phantom performances of 1812 Overture when preparing this year's work?

Heh. But what happens when a high toss goes astray on a windy day, or a marcher slips on a wet field? Particularly if it happens to one corps but not another on the same day? (I think the wind and rain --Maria and Tess-- are likewise overage.) If there is no risk of a lower score when a big effect fails, there should be no reward when it works. Likewise with the openers.

Back to the original topic: is Boston's opener intentionally meant to evoke the Cadets' opener? Or is it just a coincidence? Did the designers deliberately not look at that show or the Phantom performances of 1812 Overture when preparing this year's work?

let me be a total geek here, and read into something too much.....and say maybe/yes....what if they are looking back at the Cadets 89 show as something that was "revolutionary" in a sense of some of their design elements and they are paying homage to it. I mean many corps are doing pre shows now.....well Cadets did a preshow when it was called a one minute warmup, and which was more risky because you had to time that pretty well.

Why would they have to. JK and the staff design/ produce great shows. I went back and look at cadets 1989 opener and yes I like it. Nothing to compare totally to different shows and years apart. It's about the story line. A interesting thing happen this week my daughter came home (major in theater and ART/ management) and I showed her a tape of Boston at the cyo show and she pick out every thing that was going on in the story line / music. She not a drum corp person she only been to two shows over the years. She was very impress with the total production. Have a great day. Join the crusade.

let me be a total geek here, and read into something too much.....and say maybe/yes....what if they are looking back at the Cadets 89 show as something that was "revolutionary" in a sense of some of their design elements and they are paying homage to it. I mean many corps are doing pre shows now.....well Cadets did a preshow when it was called a one minute warmup, and which was more risky because you had to time that pretty well.

It's nice to see that everyone is comparing in a nice way and not the usual they ripped them off posts I'm used to seeing on here over the years...

It's also funny thing for me, but the Cadets 89' show was a HUGE reason I decided to march drum corps in the first place. The very next year I marched Boston in 1990 as a rookie. I always wanted to march Cadets, but because I had such a wonderful time in Boston...I decided to stay and age out with the Crusaders in 91' instead.

Edited by Liahona

It's nice to see that everyone is comparing in a nice way and not the usual they ripped them off posts I'm used to seeing on here over the years...

It's also funny thing for me, but the Cadets 89' show was a HUGE reason I decided to march drum corps in the first place. The very next year I marched Boston in 1990 as a rookie. I always wanted to march Cadets, but because I had such a wonderful time in Boston...I decided to stay and age out with the Crusaders in 91' instead.

I know, strange isn't it :tongue:

Ah Cadets '89. If Boston is paying a little tribute to it being "revolutionary," they are spot-on. I remember being in the stadium completely floored by the way they were moving and the way the drill used line against mass so effectively. And the layering of both music and drill forms over each other. Totally new and unexpected.

PLUS the show was super emotional. And then there's the guard.

I have several friends now who were in that guard and I was completely starstruck when I first met them. LOL They're convinced that that year and and their 1990 show were the beginning of all the continuous motion, multi-plane flag work that is still so common today. I believe it. If you look at the other top finalists that year, it's like stepping into the stone age.