Bridgeport, CT DCA Contest

much better than last year :thumbup:

Just looking for some "on site" info.

How was the attendance? At $5 bucks a ticket!!! Just curious if it made a difference.

Looked like a full house on the concert side... and it's a pretty good-sized stadium.

Looked like a full house on the concert side... and it's a pretty good-sized stadium.

I remember the days when both side of that stadium were filled.....those were the days...........oh well that was then...I wonder if the 5 dollar price which was great will bankrupt the Barnum Festival though.

I remember the days when both side of that stadium were filled.....those were the days...........oh well that was then...I wonder if the 5 dollar price which was great will bankrupt the Barnum Festival though.

HAHA ... yeah ... but tickets were only $3 then ... LOL ... my sense is that the Barnum wanted a to see if there was still a fan commitment to a drum corps show as part of their multi-month, multi-venue "festival", which involves a lot of communities and a whole lot of pagentry ... don't forget, they also have a heavy-duty list of corporate sponsors who underwrite the show ... no clue what they'll plan for next year ... but, to your point, those double-sided filled stadium Barnum crowds were something else ... long time ago though ... the show moved from Hedges stadium in 64 to the brand new Kennedy Stadium in 65 ... one of the "filled to capacity" crowds ... and it stayed that way for several years ... well into the 70's ... and then started to decline around 83 or 84 ... maybe people should send them a letter of thanks and encourage them to continue holding the show ...

:-)

HAHA ... yeah ... but tickets were only $3 then ... LOL ... my sense is that the Barnum wanted a to see if there was still a fan commitment to a drum corps show as part of their multi-month, multi-venue "festival", which involves a lot of communities and a whole lot of pagentry ... don't forget, they also have a heavy-duty list of corporate sponsors who underwrite the show ... no clue what they'll plan for next year ... but, to your point, those double-sided filled stadium Barnum crowds were something else ... long time ago though ... the show moved from Hedges stadium in 64 to the brand new Kennedy Stadium in 65 ... one of the "filled to capacity" crowds ... and it stayed that way for several years ... well into the 70's ... and then started to decline around 83 or 84 ... maybe people should send them a letter of thanks and encourage them to continue holding the show ...

:-)

maybe send a few bucks also..lol

I'm told the sponsor was thrilled with the response and the attendance...

Hate to say it ,but at one time starting the frist saturday of June ,you had the Fresh Air Fanfare .Up in Hamdon ,followed by the Conn.Yankee show in Strafford loved marching back from the staduim to the school in Strafford after the contest .Got everyone out of there homes to cheer the corps on.,Then up to the Mission Drums ,on to the Brigs show.And then the Barnum Festival ,many things have changed from thoses days .And all the shows back then where packed .

• Like 1

I'm told the sponsor was thrilled with the response and the attendance...

hope so...there is so much more to the festival( just not the drum corps show) and they have been holding on by a thread for more than 20 years...hate to see all the community events from the past gone for good like many have

much better than last year :thumbup:

Of all the reviews that appear on DCP - this is the one I would most wish to read if it were I being reviewed.

Thank you! I miss the Barnum (and pretty much every other show now that my company is too busy to ever take a Saturday off).

I'm thrilled to hear the quality is on the way back - I think the resurgence of the Hurcs must play a part in that.

Walk proud guys. (and girls - they're a tough bunch - don't want to #### them off)