Dumb Question from an Old Fart

It's offically, Boston Area Crusaders

but every corps has a nickname as well.... :cool:

If Boston Crusaders was changed to more clearly show they are not just Boston Kids, then Boston Area Crusaders probably no longer is correct either. I bet they are international in marching members.

Maybe IBC; no that would make them root beer.

They need a new name!

Last year, it was "Madison Explorer Scouts", and this year, they aren't Explorers. Did they stop exploring? If so, why?

• Like 1

Last year, it was "Madison Explorer Scouts", and this year, they aren't Explorers. Did they stop exploring? If so, why?

Picking at nits, but they were only the Explorer Scouts at finals if memory serves....

Picking at nits, but they were only the Explorer Scouts at finals if memory serves....

I thought they ended the relationship with BSA as Explorer Scouts LONG AGO - don't know why that relationship (name wise) is back.

I once had a fairly ridiculous and inappropriate list of these.. but boston area is what I remember.

@ boywonder: a boy scout 18 or over who is still participating in boy scouts is in their explorer program. Since they started as a troop's drum and bugle corps and a good bit of them are over 18, it makes sense.

Edit: oldsnare beat me to it. Maybe for a bit of nostalgia to go with the short sleeved uniforms?

Edited by John Schmitt

I'm assuming that was a nod to their past...way back in the day... when they were often called the Madison Explorer Scouts.

Kind of like the Holy Name Cadets thing in 2009.

Edited by Fran Haring

On Wiki

The Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps is a summer youth drum corps based in Madison, Wisconsin that competes in the Drum Corps International (DCI) circuit. Founded in 1938, it is the third oldest corps in the DCI circuit, after the Cadets, and the Racine Scouts, founded in 1934 and 1927, respectively. The corps is one of two remaining all-male corps, the other being The Cavaliers. The Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps belongs to the Madison Drum and Bugle Corps Association umbrella organization.

Being of Boy Scout origin, the corps symbol is the fleur-de-lis. The members of the corps are registered with the Glacier's Edge Council of the Boy Scouts of America as Venturers.

Their By-Laws - posted on their website make no mention of an association with BSA - they are listed as a 503 c not for profit corp.

Edited by oldsnare

I realize I should know the answer to this but alas it escapes me. (Maybe it's "OldTimers" as my 92 year old mother calls it!)

ANYWAY..............I have noticed since I started attending Drum Corps events way back in 1977 that The Boston Crusaders are often referred to as BAC. What does the "BAC" stand for........I assume B is for Boston and C is for Crusaders, but what does the A stand for?

Be nice.....I'm old!

I'm glad you had the guts to ask that because I've been wondering the same thing for years now.

Their By-Laws - posted on their website make no mention of an association with BSA - they are listed as a 503 c not for profit corp.

All members of The Madison Scouts are registered with BSA for Insurance purposes.....At least that's what they told me when I was signing all of those forms.