Cadets will win this year

If you had told me at the beginning of the season that PR and Cadets looked the most like traditional drum corps, I would have laughed.

Cadets are just, plain and simple, marching and playing their butts off out there. There are some new age things going on, but they add to the show (not take away). There is a lot of really traditional drum corps stuff going on out there.

As much as George has gotten under my skin in the last 15 years, I'm glad the Cadets have chosen to do this show.

As far as the Program goes, PR's Staff should be wide awake at night---knowing that Cadets took the logical next step in what PR has been doing since '05, before they did.

Cadets have a good shot this year. DCI still owes them one from 2007. Don't think this isn't mentally in the backs of the dci judges community -- they got that one wrong and "they" as a collective group (IMO) know it.

That aside - they have the horn line, drill and concept that can win, figure they will add even more meat to the drill and redo much of the guard book over the next few weeks. Need to make the end of the opener harder, fix some drill/guard placement issues in the ballad and fix the closer. It is too brief and needs a bigger ending. Do that and Cadets will challenge Cavaliers with BD in 3rd. Personally I think Crown is a "fix" for fourth with SCV breathing down their neck by finals week with their drumline leading the way. Bluecoats will finish probably next. Regiment might be the "wild card" finishing anywhere from 6th to 10th - a couple other corps could take them out finals week. For whatever reason (cough:visual program:cough) I get the feeling they will be passed by finals week.

It's a great year - with a couple top notch shows. But like MOST years it will come down to Cavaliers/BD/Cadets...

Really? You think the judges are concerned in 2011 with scores that happened in 2007? First of all, its likely that the judges that judged finals in 2007 won't be the judges at finals in 2011. Second, "getting it wrong" is a matter of opinion. I know plenty of people that thought BD earned their win in 2007. Judges certainly aren't going to affect scores 4 years later, even if they did truly believe that something was called wrong.

• Like 5

If you had told me at the beginning of the season that PR and Cadets looked the most like traditional drum corps, I would have laughed.

Cadets are just, plain and simple, marching and playing their butts off out there. There are some new age things going on, but they add to the show (not take away). There is a lot of really traditional drum corps stuff going on out there.

As much as George has gotten under my skin in the last 15 years, I'm glad the Cadets have chosen to do this show.

As far as the Program goes, PR's Staff should be wide awake at night---knowing that Cadets took the logical next step in what PR has been doing since '05, before they did.

Whoa... now you have my attention.

What are you talking about? Sounds juicy :tongue:

Whoa... now you have my attention.

What are you talking about? Sounds juicy :tongue:

Partial sarcasm, partial seriousness.

PR has been "telling a story" for quite a while now. Cadets took that story to the next level. The corps is divided (can you imagine white/black uniforms), they play amazing grace, they have a battle with poles that look almost exactly like 96's poles...

The show just makes sense in the context of what PR has been doing. PR ditched a lot of the story telling concept this year, and Cadets pushed it even farther.

• Like 1

I completely agree with GeneralTsoChicken. PR has been storytelling for a long time, and it's brought a lot of people in, fan wise. People love the idea of following a show that has a story line, so they are not completely lost and can match the "characters" or what is happening in the story to the music. The Cadets have really amped up the characterization this year, and maybe that's why PR hasn't been scoring as well as in past years. People are more drawn to what the Cadets have innovated in the ways of storytelling with their shows, and are less fascinated with what PR has been doing for 6 years. If Phantom Regiment could step up what they're doing now and keep up with the Cadets, they'd be a lot better off.

I completely agree with GeneralTsoChicken. PR has been storytelling for a long time, and it's brought a lot of people in, fan wise. People love the idea of following a show that has a story line, so they are not completely lost and can match the "characters" or what is happening in the story to the music. The Cadets have really amped up the characterization this year, and maybe that's why PR hasn't been scoring as well as in past years. People are more drawn to what the Cadets have innovated in the ways of storytelling with their shows, and are less fascinated with what PR has been doing for 6 years. If Phantom Regiment could step up what they're doing now and keep up with the Cadets, they'd be a lot better off.

I think it's an interesting thing to notice (or argue) that storytelling is best done when the entire corps is doing it, not just characters. I'm thinking about the difference between PR 2010, where at some point, everyone participates in this Sparticus business, vs. Cadets 2006 with the four characters. Cavies 2006 and Cadets 2010 are other good examples, though I guess Cadets 2010 was "a little less successful".

Anyone for or against?

I completely agree with GeneralTsoChicken. PR has been storytelling for a long time, and it's brought a lot of people in, fan wise. People love the idea of following a show that has a story line, so they are not completely lost and can match the "characters" or what is happening in the story to the music.

Maybe I'm too easily distracted or my vision is too poor, but I've never been able to follow the "story" in a drum corps show. If I'm sitting up high, I can't make out the individual performers well enough. If I'm sitting down low, I can't take in enough of the field to catch the "important" parts of the story. Sure, I can follow the story when the multi-cam video does a good job of following it for me, but that doesn't match the experience of watching the show live.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just throwing in my perspective. I'd rather not feel like I'm missing something if I can't make out the mimed story in the guard, honestly, but at live shows I'm certainly not following any storylines even if I wanted to, and so I guess that makes me skeptical of how much this draws people in to the activity.

Spartacus in 2008 was great because it was a throwback to 81 and 82, and because they really put an artistic twist on it (I think).

It was great because the mood of the music DEFINITELY matched what the guard was doing, and as the show went on, the moments where the hornline got involved made sense, and the involvement of the drum majors was the icing on an already fantastic cake. I think it just depends on the context of the show, and how much storytelling is involved.

@skywhopper - I totally agree... sometimes, it's better to just hear music than to have to focus on whatever the guard of others are trying to convey to the crowd. The music is what really does it for me.. not the story behind the music.

Edited by connorthemello

I'm certainly not following any storylines even if I wanted to, and so I guess that makes me skeptical of how much this draws people in to the activity.

I agree on a personal level. BUT, the non drum corps folks I con into going to see shows or watching shows online---all obsess over the storyline shows.

Really? You think the judges are concerned in 2011 with scores that happened in 2007? First of all, its likely that the judges that judged finals in 2007 won't be the judges at finals in 2011. Second, "getting it wrong" is a matter of opinion. I know plenty of people that thought BD earned their win in 2007. Judges certainly aren't going to affect scores 4 years later, even if they did truly believe that something was called wrong.

No - not really. A bit tongue-in-cheek on my part...

And I know folks thought BD should have won. I just disagree completely. To each their own.

Cadets have a good shot of winning this year, at this juncture seems like it will come down to them, BD and Cavaliers.