Klassic Korps Names

You got sumtin against guys from Noo Yawk????

Where do you think Officer Joe Bolton was from?

Fair Lawn Police Cadets "The Lawmen"

(later merged with Dumont Police Cadets w/ Jim Russo as DM)

A good combination of Kops and Korps. :tongue:

Fair Lawn Police Cadets "The Lawmen"

(later merged with Dumont Police Cadets w/ Jim Russo as DM)

Joe Dz in NJ

Hmmmm ... must admit I don't remember the merger ... Jimmy was with Fairlawn and moved to DM St. Lucy's in 65 ... Ruocco was with Dumont as DM in 63 ... I think they folded in early 64 ... is that when they merged? ... Ruocco moved to Sky the end of 64 ... looks like Fairlawn made it through 65 but, Russo was already with Lucy's ... before Ruocco was Dumont's DM, he played tenor drum there with Delucia ... lots of history and talent in those Jersey corps ...

:-)

Where do you think Officer Joe Bolton was from?

I know, this is a trick question.

But before I try to answer, who in HE** is Officer Joe Bolton???

Officer Joe Bolton

You know Andy, you guys from Massachusetts led such sheltered lives! Officer Joe was one of my childhood heroes here in the NYC area. I even got to be on the Little Rascals 'Clubhouse Gang' television show once (about age 9) as part of the live kids' group he had in the clubhouse each day. The show was broadcast from the NY Daily News building, because they owned the local station it aired on, WPIX. Ahhh, such memories of my 'yooot!' :tongue:

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

The "Appleknockers" always seemed to strike people who weren't from upstate New York as rather humorous.

Old NY area names: The New Rochelle Wanderers (No, Dion was not their DM!), and the OLC Ramblers junior corps from Brooklyn. Please don't ask me to spell out 'Our Lady of Czen . . . . . . . !'

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

There was also a junior corps from Everett, Mass. - the home of an Esso refinery and tank farm. I think they were called the Esso Jets.

What if they had merged with the Cedar Rapids Cadets' feeder corps, the Bees ?

The merged unit would have been called the Esso Bees.

Hmmmm ... must admit I don't remember the merger ... Jimmy was with Fairlawn and moved to DM St. Lucy's in 65 ... Ruocco was with Dumont as DM in 63 ... I think they folded in early 64 ... is that when they merged? ... Ruocco moved to Sky the end of 64 ... looks like Fairlawn made it through 65 but, Russo was already with Lucy's ... before Ruocco was Dumont's DM, he played tenor drum there with Delucia ... lots of history and talent in those Jersey corps ...

:-)

I was in Fair Lawn before the merger....we appeared in ONE contest (in Ridgewood) after an exhibition at our own show. Corps Director cancelled the rest of the season.

Speaking of talent, Clarke Williams was in the Fair Lawn horn line

Next year (yes, '64)...they appeared in exhibition in Elmwood Park with "our" DM sharing with Jimmy Russo.

Joe

Edited by JoeDz