Klassic Korps Names

Wow ... youse guyz wuz so sofisticated ... all we had in the NY Metro area was Ding Dong School (with the lovely Miss Francis), The Sandy Becker Show (with Geeba Geeba doing the weather), The Sonny Fox Show (which featured the CT Royal Lancers once), The Merry Mailman, Captain Jack McCarthy (featuring Popeye), Soupy Sales (with White Fang and Black Tooth), Fibber McGee and Molly (on the radio at first, Abbott & Costello, Amos & Andy ... and ... hmmm ... no wonder I'm so screwed up ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

LMAO, but the Soup Man graduated High School and College in Huntington, WV (right next to the WV/OH/KY border). Have relatives in that there place and heard that every time Sales was on TV. :doh: Talk about polar opposite of the metropolitan NYC and Bah-ston. But now Huntington has highways and bridges nearby so it's better.....

Now only takes 8 hours to drive there, vice the 16 when I was a kid.... (and 3 days of dad beotching about all that driving to his in-laws).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I always thought the following corps names gave me a chuckle or two:

Washington Carver Gay Blades

The Ballantine Brewers (sponsored by the beer company)

The CW Townsmen (Carlstadt Wood-Ridge)

The Surfers

The Thing

The Skyliners (descriptive name)

The Sunrisers (also very descriptive)

and my old corps... The Caballeros (which means gentlemen, but now includes women in the corps)

Unique in many ways folks.

Minnesota Brass Inc. was once called the Grain Belt Diamonds for a couple of years in the '60's when they were sponsored by that beer brand. They wore black tuxedos.

To expand on what Ron said.

Today’s Minnesota Brass Senior Drum and Bugle Corps has operated under a number of names through the years. The group first performed in 1947.

In 1948 members moved the corps to the Laidlaw American Legion Post in Minneapolis, starting an association with the Legion that would last a quarter century. The group was called the Laidlaw Drum & Bugles Corps until 1955.

In 1956, the corps decided to focus on a Spanish musical style and visual theme, choosing the name Laidlaw Toreadors. This corps became very successful, winning many state and regional Legion championships. The Toreadors name lasted until 1964.

For one season, 1965, the Minneapolis’ Grain Belt Brewery sponsored the corps, renamed the Grain Belt Diamonds. The “diamond-clear, smoother beer” had a diamond-shaped logo. Can you guess what shapes were used in their drill? The Diamonds were dressed in tuxedos; audiences said they looked like funeral directors.

My first corps would probably be considered Politically Incorrect (duh it's drum corps)

The Pequa Redmen

Częstochowa. Pronounced "chessta hova." The great Tommie Martin taught the horn line.

Good going, Ace! I would ave sworn there was an 'n' in there.

I believe Billy Mackey (sp.?) was the drum instructor. I was once told by a very reliable source that they merged later on with the OLPH Ridgemen of Bay Ridge when OLC was about to fold.

The Redmen & the guard there was ?squaks