Crown Guard

I called out one person, one time. The rest of it was across the board, bucko.

And you still haven't point out anything that was so over--written it was clear the performer will never get it "bucko".

I can tick guard work from video too -- most impressive.

BUT

You're not proving your point. The opening flag work is super exposed and remarkably clean for July 16.

The guns do NOT look like they're struggling with over-the-shoulder to the point that it's overwritten and beyond their reach. Is it clean ? No. Is it clearly never going to be clean. Not seeing that.

YOU said their work was so bad it was filthy. Sorry I'm just not seeing that. Is it all clean? Absolutely not. But your comments have little relation to the reality of the work on the field.

Looks to me like you're making generalizations that just have no basis in reality. Maybe you should have been judging tonightcool.gif

• Like 1

Compared to "videos" I've seen from their week off - tonight's run wasn't as good. Lots of little ticks here and there with timing. I think a week off of competition affects the guard the most to be honest.

However, those "videos" prove that Crown can achieve what's given to them enough to put them ahead of the pack. The beauty of the work there is that when it's executed correctly it's top notch (2007 finals) and of course, can be the complete opposite on a bad day - that's the double edged sword of having a very trick-y yet musically-minded book.

This wasn't a bad day, but not their best comparatively speaking. They definitely have one of the strongest guards I've ever seen (I know, I know. I marched there in the early years of the new staff, but this really isn't a biased opinion).

Do I agree with their placement? No. But silver lining, it's going to push them harder to prove why 6th place was wrong. Ain't nothing wrong with some humble pie.

p.s. as far as Herbert "carrying" the show, sure, he has some major rock star moments, but there are just as many rocking ensemble moments (ie flag block feature in paint it black, opening flag statement, the entire weapon line!) and don't forget that blonde girl who tosses the rifle while doing some crazy baton-like acrobats underneath it.

• Like 1

And you still haven't point out anything that was so over--written it was clear the performer will never get it "bucko".

-

The opening flag work is super exposed...

Whether you realize it or not, you are proving my point. It is overwritten. That's why you are using words like "super exposed" that's code word for... the work is hard and it can be seen that it is hard and isn't being done well.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 4

I can tick guard work from video too -- most impressive.

BUT

You're not proving your point. The opening flag work is super exposed and remarkably clean for July 16.

The guns do NOT look like they're struggling with over-the-shoulder to the point that it's overwritten and beyond their reach. Is it clean ? No. Is it clearly never going to be clean. Not seeing that.

YOU said their work was so bad it was filthy. Sorry I'm just not seeing that. Is it all clean? Absolutely not. But your comments have little relation to the reality of the work on the field.

Looks to me like you're making generalizations that just have no basis in reality. Maybe you should have been judging tonightcool.gif

you obviously dont agree with others as well as the judging as far as guard is concerned soooooooo no matter what anyone says you seem like you wont be satisfied and thats more than ok. You just have to realise others are seeing maybe something different....For me I do thik ( and dont ask for specifics Im not viewing from a computer but in person so I am viewing it as a judge maybe would. ) what I mean by that is an on the spot viewing and not being able to go back and study) again for me way over written in alot of the show..in drum corps its all about the big moves not the little ones you will never get credit for. Personally I also find the guard disjointed not just from the corps but from the audiance and each other..alot of 1 man shows . I think other shows are making their members look more talented ( and that could not be true ) a sense of frantic..thats what I felt................ we can all go back with a video or computer and maybe disagree but bottom line is a judge doesnt judge that way..its what is seen at the moment as well as what IS NOT seen...jmo

• Like 3

Large parts of it will never be clean... flag work spread almost 80 yards across the field... unison rifle work across the field at an 8+ interval.

You do realize that's in the pre-show? It's not judged and never will be.

And last year's show had flag work G-to-G that they got clean as well.

FYI Every corps has guard members phasing at certain points in there show. It's easy to say that phantom and blue devils have been consistant, when a lot of they're book isn't at a really high level even though they achieving it well. Cavaliers, Crown and Santa Clara have the most technically sound book and they are achieving it well. Crowns book is not over written, if you are not familiar with the term overwritten in guard language that means that the performers have been given something out of there achievement level that they can not handle, on the contrast Crown is handling they're book better than a lot of the top corps. So everyone who thinks they're dirty should put that next to every Drum Corps Guard because no one is clean.

Edited by Flguardman

You do realize that's in the pre-show? It's not judged and never will be.

And last year's show had flag work G-to-G that they got clean as well.

You do realize that the judges aren't wearing blindfolds in the preshow right?

From the second they see a corps out of the tunnel, they are judging them. Whether you or I like it or not.

It is also hard enough for us to tell what the hell is "preshow" and not these days, and I know that (for at least the brass judges) they don't know either! It doesn't help that brandt and others never announce the same place every time.

FYI Every corps has guard members phasing at certain points in there show. It's easy to say that phantom and blue devils have been consistant when a lot of your book isn't at a really high level even though you achieving it well. Cavaliers, Crown and Santa Clara have the most technically sound book and they are achieving it well. Crowns book is not over written, if you are not familiar with the term overwritten in guard language that means that the performers have been given something out of there achievement level that they can not handle, on the contrast Crown is handling they're book better than a lot of the top corps. So everyone who thinks they're dirt should put that next to every Drum Corps Guard because no one is clean.

No ..over written means over writeen.....achieved or not...could be over written to the music...staging.....what is seen or not not being able to achieve is just a small part of it

• Like 2

FYI Every corps has guard members phasing at certain points in there show. It's easy to say that phantom and blue devils have been consistant when a lot of your book isn't at a really high level even though you achieving it well. Cavaliers, Crown and Santa Clara have the most technically sound book and they are achieving it well. Crowns book is not over written, if you are not familiar with the term overwritten in guard language that means that the performers have been given something out of there achievement level that they can not handle, on the contrast Crown is handling they're book better than a lot of the top corps. So everyone who thinks they're dirt should put that next to every Drum Corps Guard because no one is clean.

I think there are large chunks of their show that will not be performed accurately, ever. Because there are too many simultaneous responsibilities.

I'm aware of the verbage and how it appears on the sheets.

I also may be a musician, but I have WGI roots... I'm no herbert, but I can spin some sticks.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken