Crown Guard

you obviously dont agree with others as well as the judging as far as guard is concerned soooooooo no matter what anyone says you seem like you wont be satisfied and thats more than ok. You just have to realise others are seeing maybe something different....For me I do thik ( and dont ask for specifics Im not viewing from a computer but in person so I am viewing it as a judge maybe would. ) what I mean by that is an on the spot viewing and not being able to go back and study) again for me way over written in alot of the show..in drum corps its all about the big moves not the little ones you will never get credit for. Personally I also find the guard disjointed not just from the corps but from the audiance and each other..alot of 1 man shows . I think other shows are making their members look more talented ( and that could not be true ) a sense of frantic..thats what I felt................ we can all go back with a video or computer and maybe disagree but bottom line is a judge doesnt judge that way..its what is seen at the moment as well as what IS NOT seen...jmo

I don't agree with this judge -- clearly. And I suspect the rest of the season will bear my opinion out.

My point in the reply was -- the comments being made were not supportable by the facts. And when we got down to facts -- that became clear.

And when we got down to facts -- that became clear.

The facts are quite clear. You are a Crown honk and cannot face the fallability of the group.

Crown's hornline is legit. Crown marches well. Their colorguard, percussion, and some of the vis ge captions hold them back.

Crown won't win the guard title. I'd say they'll probably get 3rd or 4th when it is all said or done. They won't win it, and they SHOULDN'T win it.

• Like 6

I don't agree with this judge -- clearly. And I suspect the rest of the season will bear my opinion out.

My point in the reply was -- the comments being made were not supportable by the facts. And when we got down to facts -- that became clear.

you could be right BUT I will say judges I have spoke to seem to have the same opinion of crowns guard to one degree or another....but ya never know...........I bet BD wins guard seems when the corps doesnt or a chance they wont the guard will..the pererbial bone

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

You do realize that the judges aren't wearing blindfolds in the preshow right?

From the second they see a corps out of the tunnel, they are judging them. Whether you or I like it or not.

It is also hard enough for us to tell what the hell is "preshow" and not these days, and I know that (for at least the brass judges) they don't know either! It doesn't help that brandt and others never announce the same place every time.

the point about it being pre-show is it's not an area that would be high-priority cleaning. for purposed of this discussion i'd just skip it. especially with this particular pre-show which is just about warming up the crown and setting a mood. not a like judges are gonna tick the crowd surfing.

i agree about the pre-show clarity issue. quite frankly i though everyone with a pre-show would follow the cavies lead last year and record mr crocker for playback on their own system. solves the problem quite nicely.

i think you're wrong about the uncleanable stuff. i might guess why you might (sight unseen) make such a comment. but your guess would be (in this particular case) not well informed.

i might guess why you might (sight unseen) make such a comment. but your guess would be (in this particular case) not well informed.

I'v seen crown live 3 times this year. Marched WGI with 2 crown colorguard members, sponsor a marching member there, have been under some of the brass guys and I'm on a first name basis with Adam.

I like Crown and want Crown to succeed.

Painting me as some sort of blind hater, is hilarious... it shows that you do not comprehend the fact that others may view the show without corps goggles and see what you do not.

Until there is major amelioration in the visual design, no matter what work they put out there, it will be hard to perform. The members are given too many simultaneous responsibilities. Difficulty and ability to perform aren't limited to the work. It is the work IN CONTEXT. And the context here, is killing them.

• Like 4

Forgive me....what does this mean?

That they (BD) have become lazy about integration. I've typically been a huge fan of BD's approach to guard staging in recent years (except 07, which wasn't bad but wasn't remarkable) because they've tended to be masters of seamless, surprising, integrative visual design. This year... The accusation that they aren't doing enough work while on the move is a fair one. Too few continuous forms and phrases, for many peoples' taste. They don't set up any visual problems to solve with compelling design; they just... run to their spots. It feels like cheating.

The work is good though.

just to add ( I'll be sorry ) In judging its also NOT just about whos cleaner...how many years have we seen the winner with drops etc etc..there was a huge discussion last year on HOW the winner could get a perfect score with flaws........ the writing is a huge part..when you get to a top 5 level most guards are fairly equal it all then becomes about the writing, intergration, performance qualitities, and who made their group( even if less taleneted ) look better.............editing sometimes is even more important than throwing out everything including the kitchen sink even if they are achieving

Edited by GUARDLING